• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
As a former two-time Miata owner and current two-time S2000 owner, the similarities between my story and Travis' are striking. I also have two small children and almost never get to take my roadster out for a drive (and when I do, it's mostly by myself). However, there's one key difference: I am still hoping to add an FL5 to my garage, but there's no way in hell that I'm giving up my AP1 to do so!

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Can't read the article because I'm not a member but I sold my Miata racecar in the fall just because I was done racing. The Civic's started to hit dealerships the same day I sold the Miata. Picked up the FL5 in December. It's apples to oranges but man is the Civic a ton of fun. Hopefully I can get back to having fun at HPDEs with it.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
My kids are older now, so the Type R with all that legroom is a really great option.

our 2023 Focus is also great - Civic-sized rear legroom despite the car being on the small side. And the suspension is BMW comfortable despite being very sporty and having Pilot Sports on it.

I'd totally buy a Focus ST if they sold it in the US.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Very relatable. My first car was also a Miata - I learned how to drive on it, drove it to high school, and put a turbo on it in college. Forward, now with a wife and kid, and I'm getting groceries and doing the daycare shuttle in my Civic Si.

It really is important that your everyday car also be your fun car. Otherwise you have a sports car that sits in the garage, and you end up driving the boring car 99% of the time.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Heh, a lot of us with similar stories. I miss my Miatas and would daily one again happily (I'm 47), did it for about 20 years. Looking to score a CTR for daily\family duties, it'll probably be my wife's in a few years when we retire her '13 Si. I'll grab a Miata, S2k, or similar again but would like a garage for it first.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White, 2006 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
I couldn't read the article, because it is paywalled. But, my story is somewhat similar, but in the other direction, and then not.

Here's how it goes, its a fun read, I hope you enjoy it:

15 years in a FBP FG2, for 318k trouble-free miles, bought at MSRP in 06 and sold it for $4500, quite the return!

Then I finally found a pristine 2005 Honda S2000 in RYP for... $16k from a Honda dealership, snatched it and still have it garage-queened.

Then I got myself into a 2017 CR-V Touring AWD, that didn't last long. It was while I wanted for the 1st model year kinks to sort out in the FK8, and I could not stand that CVT transmission and the 1.5T, but the 1.5T wasn't terrible.

Come CW FK8 into my life a year later at MSRP, loved every minute of it. It was powerful, sharp, perfect in almost every way and unlike the majority, I absolutely loved the unique looks. I love unique and quirky and different, it reminds of of the American cars of the 60s, they weren't great, but they were unique. Except, the FK8 was great. In fact, (no offense!) but I favor the exterior over the FL5, but I do favor the FL5's interior. But, something was missing with the FK8, the wrong wheels were driving. Remember, I drove an 06 Si for 15 years and 318k miles, so I can appreciate a good FWD car, but this had way too much power for a traverse/FWD layout. Believe me, I get it, it's a fantastic car but to me, for that much power and seriousness, RWD is almost non-negotiable. I didn't get rid of my CW CTR however, I loved that thing and so I kept it.

I have the perfect setup right? an CW FK8 and a RYP AP2? No. I didn't yet have the answer, so now I own a 2022 Miata Club with the Brembo Recaro BBS package, and it turns out, this is probably the best car humanity has ever seen - and I now have the answer. The answer is, that the Miata is the perfect daily driving roadster, and the S2000 is the best roadster ever made, an engineering marvel, so I kept both. But something was wrong...

I didn't know what to do with my CW FK8, I loved it, but with two RWD cars in my garage, it was beyond clear that the FK8 truly had the wrong wheels driving. The Miata, my new DD, was casting a very dark shadow over the FK8, and so I owned these three cars for a year, and given the market conditions, the wrong wheels driving, and not wanting four cars because I thought three was already crazy enough, I sold my CW FK8 for $36K. And I got myself into...

A 2023 Honda Passport TrailSport in SGP (AWD only of course) to server my comfort, winter, snow, rain, trail duties. The three sports cars had me locked out of adventure. The iVTM-4 is really just a re-branded SH-AWD and makes the passport feel so neutral in right turns, left turns, and sharp ramps. It drives amazing, and has the traditional VTEC on the intake side, which makes it sound wonderful. Its a great car all around, has a beautiful color, comfort, amenities, capabilities, aftermarket, and a uniquely aggressive front-end for a Honda. It seems like with this car, Honda departed from their pedestrian safety goals, and figured let's raise the car, and the pedestrian fits unharmed under the vehicle (I only kid).

So, it was clear to me that it made more sense to go from a CTR to a Miata. And for adult responsibilities, there's the Passport. For someone who doesn't have the ability to own three, or two cars I think there's only one answer for the perfect car: The miata if there are no kids, and the CTR if you do have kids.

For me, we are in earth for a short time, and not experiencing a Miata is missing out in one of the most uniquely fun cars I've ever driven. Its funner than the CTR (by orders of magnitudes) and funner than the S2000, mainly because the S2000 is more serious than the Miata. The Miata's low-end torque makes it fun even in a parking lot.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Have driven a Miata and AP1 and AP2- but never owned one. Sll great! Did own an MR2-S which I dailied- no kids- but was a challenge with zip storage. Also a '67 MGB back in the '70's- the spiritual ancestor of Miata and MR2.
When we got the SI, other car was the SC430 2+2 convertible coupe- no real back seat legroom, limited storage. So needed a hatchback, sedan or coupe.
The SI, and now FK8 are special.
There is an organic feel to rwd cars. But if you master fwd technique, it will still reward you with amazing performance and fun.
I picked up my cousin and his two college age daughters from the airport last month. All their luggage fit in the back of the CTR. I pulled off a spirited right turn - and they were all smiles.
Remember, that is 3,117 lbs plus four adults, plus luggage. But the rear passengers and luggage helped improve the front - rear weight distribution, so that may be why it felt like the best right turn ever.
So yes, Miata- or any other functionally limited car - is not always the answer. Even for enthusiasts. Even when you have a house of just two.
But if I had a third garage space...

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
The miata if there are no kids, and the CTR if you do have kids.

For me, we are in earth for a short time, and not experiencing a Miata is missing out in one of the most uniquely fun cars I've ever driven.
Love your write-up, and I’ve lusted after an ND2 Miata since test driving them once, twice, thrice…

My plan is to get the Miata if my dealer doesn’t/can’t follow-through on my 2025 Type R allocation. I would probably keep my TSX “beater” in any case, but especially so if I get the Miata, as I need more practicality than that even though I’m single, with no kids.

I’ve driven Honda manuals for so long that after thinking about it for a while, I figure I won’t be too devastated if the allocation falls through. A new or used M2 could be the goal one day too.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White, 2006 Honda Civic Si - Fiji Blue Pearl
Love your write-up, and I’ve lusted after an ND2 Miata since test driving them once, twice, thrice…

My plan is to get the Miata if my dealer doesn’t/can’t follow-through on my 2025 Type R allocation. I would probably keep my TSX “beater” in any case, but especially so if I get the Miata, as I need more practicality than that even though I’m single, with no kids.

I’ve driven Honda manuals for so long that after thinking about it for a while, I figure I won’t be too devastated if the allocation falls through. A new or used M2 could be the goal one day too.
Thanks. My guess is that If you do get a Miata, you probably won’t end up wanting the FL5.

And if you have an FL5 and then get a Miata, it will cast a shadow on the FL5.

The ND2 is so good, its qualities are immediately obvious after the first drive, but much more so after it breaks in and loosens up.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Even without kids we needed at least one vehicle with decent storage, and that we could fit friends in, or relatives in when they visit. Spouse's convertible coupe falls short in both this must haves. So no roadster for me, sigh.
That said the FK8 is hardly just a consolation prize. No doubt the new FL5 is fun to pilot as well.
I have driven earlier Miata gens, felt a bit cramped even for my average 5'11" 160 lb frame. And more corner lean than I like. I understand newer ones are sharper. But doubt they would be more fun than the MR2-S I owned. Let alone the '67 MGB that was only my second car ever. That handled better than the Mazda as well. But to be fair any Miata has more storage than the MR2- S, and more reliability than the MG. I respect the Miata- just never wanted one when there are better roadster options -for me- out there. So like the article says- MIATA is not always the answer.

kopite44

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Civic Si
Even without kids we needed at least one vehicle with decent storage, and that we could fit friends in, or relatives in when they visit. Spouse's convertible coupe falls short in both this must haves. So no roadster for me, sigh.
That said the FK8 is hardly just a consolation prize. No doubt the new FL5 is fun to pilot as well.
I have driven earlier Miata gens, felt a bit cramped even for my average 5'11" 160 lb frame. And more corner lean than I like. I understand newer ones are sharper. But doubt they would be more fun than the MR2-S I owned. Let alone the '67 MGB that was only my second car ever. That handled better than the Mazda as well. But to be fair any Miata has more storage than the MR2- S, and more reliability than the MG. I respect the Miata- just never wanted one when there are better roadster options -for me- out there. So like the article says- MIATA is not always the answer.
Agree.
I've driven NA and NBs and felt quite cramped. The NC (which I owned) was much roomier. I've sat in the NDs and they are a throwback to the NB space wise.
Sponsored