• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

So glad I passed.

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Type R
I hold the complete opposite view. With age - and I'm 42, just to note - I've come to realize that rushing into car purchases has been among my poorest decisions. In hindsight, patience was always the better choice.

Succumbing to the fear of missing out in buying cars was, frankly, an unwise move in every aspect. Not only would waiting have been more financially prudent for me, but it also would have likely resulted in acquiring a better, more limited model, which was my preference in the end anyway.

Therefore, I'm quite comfortable with the idea of not rushing into the current market frenzy. Whether it means waiting several years to buy at MSRP or eventually opting for a Limited Edition or some special version of the FL5, which seems inevitable, patience seems the wiser strategy.

But, to each their own.
Exactly. Don’t pay $5-10k over for a regular trim. Wait for the LIMITED trim and pay $20-25k over. Well said my friend
Sponsored

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
I won't pay over MSRP on principle, and I'm happy I didn't because they're not too hard to find at MSRP now. I paid cash so rates don't matter to me, and if I had paid over I'd have spent $5-10K extra for literally nothing except getting my car a few months sooner. I drove an RS3 for those six months instead. For someone who is financing, maybe they're happy they paid over and got their car a year ago when rates were better.

I do agree that if none of us was willing to pay over, dealers would have no choice but to lower their price to MSRP. But people are going to do what they want and I'm not sure there's a point to berating other people online.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Clearly, there is some level of care about this topic, otherwise, a thread like this wouldn't have 3 pages worth of comments.

The core discussion here revolves around the financial wisdom of paying ADM for a limited Civic. It's important to remember that this is a public forum, and opinions, including mine, are shared freely and are as valid as anyone else's.

My comment was never about advising people to not buy this car. You definitely missed the point. The focus was on the financial implications and decision-making process in purchasing high-demand vehicles like the CTR, especially at a premium. It's about balancing the joy of ownership with financial prudence.
re: "not belonging on this forum..."

Maybe I'm wrong and I don't belong here either (because I don't own an FL5), but my experience has been that, for the most part, this attitude is not representative of what you'll find on here or on DE5 forums, so please treat it as an exception until you have evidence otherwise!

The majority of folks on both forums are helpful, passionate, and welcoming car people, regardless of what you personally own.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Setting all the personal jabs aside, I think OP's post has touched a few different nerves around here:
  • The "MSRP-or-bust" people are upset that he paid a markup entirely
  • The "let's hope for smaller ADM's in 2024" crowd is upset at the size of the markup
  • The Type-S owners are upset that his decision might've said, "I'd rather pay $54k + tax and have a Type-R than pay $52k + tax and have a Type-S despite all the extra features and the Acura badge"
  • Then some want one car (FL5, DE5, FK8) to be rarer or better or "more special" than another
I think OP's trying to say he's made a purchase (using his money) that he's pleased with. He got the car he wanted at a price he was comfortable with. While he might've had enough money to buy a Type-S at $20k over MSRP (real-life money of his own), he passed up that opportunity (wise, in my opinion) and ultimately decided he'd still rather pay a little more to get a Type-R over a Type-S, assuming he also had a shot at one of the many Type-S' at MSRP (not a tremendous leap, they're objectively easier to find at MSRP).

It's a free market, and MSRP is a suggestion. The car (like anything else) is worth what someone will pay for it. You do you.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Setting all the personal jabs aside, I think OP's post has touched a few different nerves around here:
  • The "MSRP-or-bust" people are upset that he paid a markup entirely
  • The "let's hope for smaller ADM's in 2024" crowd is upset at the size of the markup
  • The Type-S owners are upset that his decision might've said, "I'd rather pay $54k + tax and have a Type-R than pay $52k + tax and have a Type-S despite all the extra features and the Acura badge"
  • Then some want one car (FL5, DE5, FK8) to be rarer or better or "more special" than another
I think OP's trying to say he's made a purchase (using his money) that he's pleased with. He got the car he wanted at a price he was comfortable with. While he might've had enough money to buy a Type-S at $20k over MSRP (real-life money of his own), he passed up that opportunity (wise, in my opinion) and ultimately decided he'd still rather pay a little more to get a Type-R over a Type-S, assuming he also had a shot at one of the many Type-S' at MSRP (not a tremendous leap, they're objectively easier to find at MSRP).

It's a free market, and MSRP is a suggestion. The car (like anything else) is worth what someone will pay for it. You do you.
People are always telling others how they should spend their money. Running around virtue signalling and shaming others who paid an ADM is the lamest shit ever. Such is forum life.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
People are always telling others how they should spend their money. Running around virtue signalling and shaming others who paid an ADM is the lamest shit ever. Such is forum life.
Agree to each their own and we can all get along regardless of the brand of car you drive.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
Personally, I find that bashing people for their choice of car is even lamer. Criticizing someone because they drive a different brand, as if our allegiance must be exclusively to Honda, is absurd. The idea that we can't appreciate multiple brands is, in my opinion, the lamest thing ever. But as you said, such is forum life.

By the way, no one was dictating how anyone should spend their money. It seems you missed the point. Offering caution about potentially unwise financial decisions is very different from telling people how to manage their finances.

OP
OP
Texas58

Texas58

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Most people cant get the CTR for MSRP and yet you dickwads are giving me crap for paying 10 over. I"ll give you a little backstory. Own my house outright, Own my wife"s 23 MDX out right, Own my 2008 Accord outright. Zero credit card debt and I owned my traded in 23 RDX Aspec out right. They gave me 45K for a car I paid 43K for. For that 10K over I got some value, carbon fiber parts and window tint. I have obviously made good financial decisions in my life. So you see I don't care what you think. I was just pointing out something I found to be true in my area concerning the cars. People like you guys dogging me make forums like this suck.

Last edited:

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Oh, thank goodness! I was waiting with bated breath for the official decree to mingle with the Honda elite. Your magnanimous permission is truly a blessing. May the Toyota gods forgive my daring cross-brand exploration and grant me safe passage in these uncharted Honda waters.

And here I thought Toyota forums were a sensitive bunch.
Stop trying to sound smarter than you are.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
@Texas58 I think @RUNN1N summed it up best. Your original post simply left a lot of room for misinterpretation. From there it spun out of control with a mix of good info and reactions to joking to trolling. This is a great forum with a mix of personalities. Give it some time and you’ll learn who to simply ignore. It’s nbd.

Happy New Year everyone!🍾

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Most people cant get the CTR for MSRP and yet you dickwads are giving me crap for paying 10 over. I"ll give you a little backstory. Own my house outright, Own my wife"s 23 MDX out right, Own my 2008 Accord outright. Zero credit card debt and I owned my traded in 23 RDX Aspec out right. They gave me 45K for a car I paid 43K for. For that 10K over I got some value, carbon fiber parts and window tint. I have obviously made good financial decisions in my life. So you see I don't care what you think. I was just pointing out something I found to be true in my area concerning the cars. People like you guys dogging me make forums like this suck.
You're coming off as a bit defensive.

Just a bit.

Azkyrie

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Type S
OMG another Integra guy on the CTR forum What is there no one on the Integra Si forum for you to Chat with?
re: "not belonging on this forum..."

Maybe I'm wrong and I don't belong here either (because I don't own an FL5), but my experience has been that, for the most part, this attitude is not representative of what you'll find on here or on DE5 forums, so please treat it as an exception until you have evidence otherwise!
Not sure why this is often a touchy subject. I owned old Integra as well as the new; we always know that Acura is the luxury branch of Honda and not separate competing entities. We should be celebrating the enhancement of Honda with Acura as the right hand.

As I see the ITS is a blessing for everyone. I was interested in CTR early but it wasn’t available. With the release of the Type S, the ADM markups have gone down for both cars giving us all easier access to these cars we love.

Regardless, how people spend their money is their business. Be happy for others. I’m on this forum because I enjoy watching what people do with their CTR.