• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Stones in the Dust Shields/Wheels??

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent stones from getting stuck in the wheels and/or dust shields? Has anyone else even had to deal with this issue like me!?

Several times since I got the car in November I have had a stone clank its way into a wheel and get lodged between I assume the dust shield and brake rotor. When it really jams in there it is a terrible sound, nails on chalkboard would be a treat in comparison. The few times it got really stuck (once in front, once in rear) flicking the dust shield all over didn't seem to do anything and it just took the right bump to knock it out.

This was all with my winter tires, which are narrower (235 on an 8.5 wheel) and despite being winter tires much less prone to stone pick-up than PS4S judging only by the wheel-well stone noise.

So I've had the OE wheels and tires back on for about 2 weeks. The PS4S are indeed stone slinging machines and the wider wheels don't seem to help keep them out of wherever they go to make noise. Pretty much every day I get some screeching stones, though fortunately so far they haven't been getting get stuck like the used to.

I don't know.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fredzy

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Also for context, I don't drive on any dirt or gravel roads. Between pot holes and winter detritus there will never be a shortage of crap to run over coming down my street, at work, going to Walmart etc.

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP FL5. 2020 Civic Type R (RIP)
Had this same problem on the FK8. You can check the CivicX forums to see what ppl have done. The good news is FWIW it seems to happen less often on the FL5.

one time I took my FK8 to the dealership for a small warranty fix. I asked them about the dust shield rock thing and they were able to adjust the dust shield to reduce its occurrence.

if it does happen sometimes driving slow gets the rock out, sometimes driving fast (at freeway speeds). But typically what I do is go to a gas station, take the butt of the windshield washing squeegee and hit the dust shield several times in multiple locations to try to dislodge.

Some people have also removed the dust shield entirely but I don’t know if that’s a great idea

OP
OP
fredzy

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
Had this same problem on the FK8. You can check the CivicX forums to see what ppl have done. The good news is FWIW it seems to happen less often on the FL5.

one time I took my FK8 to the dealership for a small warranty fix. I asked them about the dust shield rock thing and they were able to adjust the dust shield to reduce its occurrence.

if it does happen sometimes driving slow gets the rock out, sometimes driving fast (at freeway speeds). But typically what I do is go to a gas station, take the butt of the windshield washing squeegee and hit the dust shield several times in multiple locations to try to dislodge.

Some people have also removed the dust shield entirely but I don’t know if that’s a great idea
Ah thanks, I didn't think to look at 10th gen forums. Also I searched again and found this :dunno: wtf I looked everywhere before posting a thread.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...cks-between-the-rotor-and-brake-shield.51663/

I think I'll try and pry back the shield to make the gap bigger all along the bottom. My problem with that was that it already seems big.. I was beginning to suspect the stones were getting stuck somewhere all together different. Must be some big stones getting in there.

t1javelin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type R, 2023 accord sport-L
Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent stones from getting stuck in the wheels and/or dust shields? Has anyone else even had to deal with this issue like me!?

Several times since I got the car in November I have had a stone clank its way into a wheel and get lodged between I assume the dust shield and brake rotor. When it really jams in there it is a terrible sound, nails on chalkboard would be a treat in comparison. The few times it got really stuck (once in front, once in rear) flicking the dust shield all over didn't seem to do anything and it just took the right bump to knock it out.

This was all with my winter tires, which are narrower (235 on an 8.5 wheel) and despite being winter tires much less prone to stone pick-up than PS4S judging only by the wheel-well stone noise.

So I've had the OE wheels and tires back on for about 2 weeks. The PS4S are indeed stone slinging machines and the wider wheels don't seem to help keep them out of wherever they go to make noise. Pretty much every day I get some screeching stones, though fortunately so far they haven't been getting get stuck like the used to.

I don't know.
I've had this happen on my FL5 and used to happen on a few F80 M3's I had. Seems to be the dust shield has just the right distance from the rotor and shape to catch small rocks/stones. Usually the stone grinds down a bit and falls out or you can push the shield in a bit all around and that may make it fall out. It sounds horrible but I never saw any damage to the rotor.

JayFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5
Happens all the time when I drive the canyons but I try to adjust the shield a bit everytime I go to see where the sweet spot is. No matter what a rock will get in there some way some how but I haven't noticed any damage to my rotors / pads / shield so.
Sponsored