• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Trade-in my almost new 2018 Si for 2024 Type-R

be12nard

First Name
InvisibleWorld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic EXL
Dealer offers MSRP + $6K with $2K worth of add-on for 23 CTR. I have a 2018 civic Si with only 3,000 miles. The car has rarely being drive much since I use another car for work. The car has full front-end protection film (PPF), high-end alarms and exhaust system etc. I spent over $6,000 on parts & labor. If I am going to trade-in my Si, will the dealer lowball me due to my aftermarket parts? Taking everything back to stock will cost about $300-$500 of labor and might not a good idea. If I ended up not able to purchase the CTR, then I would just keep my Si. I don't want to change back to stock if I am going to keep the car longer. Is it a bad idea to trade-in my Si with aftermarket parts? I think selling my Si will help me financially when buying the CTR (since my Si should worth about $27,000). My reason of trade-in is that CTR can keep the car value for long time. I always want to own a CTR as I am at 45. Life is short. What do you guys suggest for the trade-in situation? How many of you agree or disagree?
Sponsored

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Sell your modifications separately or private sell your vehicle. Dealers will try to low-ball you. Work with a manager.

'24 model year is out. '23 should be had at a better price/deal. MSRP or 1-2k over.

I haven't driven an Si... Not sure how much better the Type R is, but I'm sure it's at a higher level.

Be prepared to lose some money. Worth it if you're going to enjoy and keep your CTR for 5+ years.

Good luck.

Mordotz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Unfortunately only you can make this decision, I wouldn’t recommend taking financial advice from the internet.

Is it a great idea financially? Not really. But it’s your life, and as you mentioned life's short.

I doubt you will get money back on your PPF or alarm system. If it was me I would leave that be and take the exhaust off to sell separately. If you’re looking for the most money possible, sell privately instead of trading the car in.

Good luck!

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
You won’t get $27k from a dealer. They can’t sell a 2018 Si for much more than that. Try Carmax but don’t think they want your mods. Sell the car privately or ideally remove the mods.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Life is short, and there's definitely an argument to be made about how tomorrow is never promised and all that... but just make sure you look before you leap. If owning a Type R will bring you substantial joy on a daily basis then that's a strong case for what it's "worth" to you, but you also have to make sure you're being financially responsible, as that could quickly lead to regret that you'd be saddled with for quite some time.

I just did a quick glance at Kelly Blue Book, which to my experience is a fairly accurate indicator of what you can expect a dealer to offer. Looks like your expected trade in of $27k is extremely optimistic, in reality you should expect at least $5k less than that. That combined with a markup of $6k (or $8k with the add-ons, a little ambiguous in your description)... that starts to look like you have a lot more thinking to do. You could start by evaluating how much impact the extra cash and/or higher payment would have on your livelihood, but it only makes sense to do this with accurate numbers.

Do more research on your own, you're likely not to find these numbers on this forum. Reach out to Carmax, Vroom, Carvana, and/or your local dealers to find out what your car is actually worth, then go from there. Dealers are likely willing to negotiate, they don't have as much leverage as they did just a few months ago. For example, if your $27k trade-in is real, you are actually getting ~$5k over expected trade-in value and that sort of offsets the $6k markup so that's actually not as terrible a situation as it sounds.

Good luck, the Type R is a substantial upgrade over the Si but only do it if it makes sense to you.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
There are a lot of msrp +2-5k out tgere on the tracker. Id sell the si parts and go back to stock then sell the si outright and buy the R out of state if needed. Much less costly.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Integra Type S
Life is short, and there's definitely an argument to be made about how tomorrow is never promised and all that... but just make sure you look before you leap. If owning a Type R will bring you substantial joy on a daily basis then that's a strong case for what it's "worth" to you, but you also have to make sure you're being financially responsible, as that could quickly lead to regret that you'd be saddled with for quite some time.

I just did a quick glance at Kelly Blue Book, which to my experience is a fairly accurate indicator of what you can expect a dealer to offer. Looks like your expected trade in of $27k is extremely optimistic, in reality you should expect at least $5k less than that. That combined with a markup of $6k (or $8k with the add-ons, a little ambiguous in your description)... that starts to look like you have a lot more thinking to do. You could start by evaluating how much impact the extra cash and/or higher payment would have on your livelihood, but it only makes sense to do this with accurate numbers.

Do more research on your own, you're likely not to find these numbers on this forum. Reach out to Carmax, Vroom, Carvana, and/or your local dealers to find out what your car is actually worth, then go from there. Dealers are likely willing to negotiate, they don't have as much leverage as they did just a few months ago. For example, if your $27k trade-in is real, you are actually getting ~$5k over expected trade-in value and that sort of offsets the $6k markup so that's actually not as terrible a situation as it sounds.

Good luck, the Type R is a substantial upgrade over the Si but only do it if it makes sense to you.
With trade ins I usually take out 3-4K of what the vehicle typically sells around me with similar mileage and conditions. In your case get ready for a 10K-12K loss.
I wouldn't do it but is your money.

Sleepywood

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Championship White Type R
Dealer offers MSRP + $6K with $2K worth of add-on for 23 CTR. I have a 2018 civic Si with only 3,000 miles. The car has rarely being drive much since I use another car for work. The car has full front-end protection film (PPF), high-end alarms and exhaust system etc. I spent over $6,000 on parts & labor. If I am going to trade-in my Si, will the dealer lowball me due to my aftermarket parts? Taking everything back to stock will cost about $300-$500 of labor and might not a good idea. If I ended up not able to purchase the CTR, then I would just keep my Si. I don't want to change back to stock if I am going to keep the car longer. Is it a bad idea to trade-in my Si with aftermarket parts? I think selling my Si will help me financially when buying the CTR (since my Si should worth about $27,000). My reason of trade-in is that CTR can keep the car value for long time. I always want to own a CTR as I am at 45. Life is short. What do you guys suggest for the trade-in situation? How many of you agree or disagree?
I paid 4k over and I’m also in California. It was a 2024 championship white. Try to look for a better deal. That’s too much for a 2023 model man.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I echo what others have said...

• First, you're not going to get $27k for the Si (with or without the mods) but you'll likely get slightly more in trade if you remove them so it looks stock + you can cut some of your losses by selling those items separately. Frankly, trade-in values aren't what they were a year or two ago, so prepare for offers on the lower end of KBB/others.
  • Second, that's not a good price on the Type-R (whether it's $4k in markup + $2k in accessories, or $6k in markup + $2k in accessories), you should shop around. There are plenty of dealerships willing to do less than $5k in markup with no effort at all. If you negotiate well, you can get it down even further.
  • Third, I get the Type-R allure and agree that life is short, but don't try to convince yourself that this is a financially wise decision because the "CTR can keep the car value for long time". Look on BaT. Civic Si's (especially low mileage, single owner, well-cared-for models) hold value quite well, and you've already got one. Your Si may not be quite as fun to drive as a CTR... but let's face it, you're not driving the Si much as-is. Debating which depreciating asset will depreciate better is a waste of time.

Skrish78

First Name
Shank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FL5
Do not trade in. Keep your SI, do all the mods of your taste.

BayouRFL5?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 lexus LX450, 2008 Civic Si
You should just keep the Si and drive it more. I think even if you were trading in a 2023 Si, it would be hard to get $27K for a 2018 since a 2024 is about $30K. Good luck.

TchnoZ33

First Name
Zaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I will say, one thing I misread was that your Si is 2018; for some reason I thought it was 2023 lol. You def won’t get that money back; consider the mods and PPF lost money overall. However, the car is old enough where I PERSONALLY don’t care about the money lost on it overall. I’d just sell the parts and move on.

I will just say that the deal on that CTR 2023 isn’t the best…you can def get a better deal and save 3-4 k if you look harder and wait but that part is up to you.

So essentially what I am saying is, I wouldn’t necessarily think about the money you spent on the Si as lost money…you had the car for 5-6 years; so at this point I think it’s fine to part ways…not a big deal in my opinion. But that CTR price is pretty high for 2023.

nawfoo

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra Si
Keep the Si. Next year you will be trading in the Type R for a Integra Type S

Last edited:

TchnoZ33

First Name
Zaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Yeah…but like how long do you keep a 2018 car before saying “okay, I can sell this.” If he hasn’t modded the car and spent so much money there, I don’t think anyone would say keep the Si.
Sponsored