• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Type R owner age?

hhkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
I'm 22 about to turn 23. Thankfully I can afford this car because of my engineering degree and job but the dealer markups I'm hearing just makes me reconsider my options as I'm still in that student mindset of not spending money on unnecessary stuff, which ADM falls in the category of. I guess my age plays a role in here as well; it's my first time buying a new car and I want a fun+practical one but not too expensive (above 50k is expensive for me), hence the Type R ticks all my boxes but only at MSRP or maybe at most at 5k over.
Nice! I started my Engineering journey way later but if I were your age I would probably do the same!
Sponsored

hwheels

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Sport 6MT (sold while waiting for FL5)
Iā€™m 29 and have a deposit for the FL5. Bought a 2019 6MT Sport Hatchback new and I LOVED that car. The Type R has been a dream car of mine for a while and Iā€™m finally in a financial spot where buying one makes sense. Hopefully I get a shot at buying the FL5 šŸ˜‚

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
I'm 25. Graduated from college during the pandemic, so a job search was a little difficult. Graduated in Jersey, moved to Florida, and now in Puerto Rico and working as a mechanical engineer for an engineering and architecture company in the capital. I'm grateful to be able to afford the car; considering I was working as an electrician in Florida and got to work hard in construction before getting into the design aspect.

I hope to get into the automotive industry as a design engineer or an automation engineer. We need to get these cars out quicker and I'm sure there's a process we can find out that still enables technicians to craft along with making it a faster process.

They say a car is the worst investment you can make, but I always had the mentality: since it is the worst, I'm going to make the best of it. And I'm certain this will be considered a classic one day.

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
I'm 25. Graduated from college during the pandemic, so a job search was a little difficult. Graduated in Jersey, moved to Florida, and now in Puerto Rico and working as a mechanical engineer for an engineering and architecture company in the capital. I'm grateful to be able to afford the car; considering I was working as an electrician in Florida and got to work hard in construction before getting into the design aspect.

I hope to get into the automotive industry as a design engineer or an automation engineer. We need to get these cars out quicker and I'm sure there's a process we can find out that still enables technicians to craft along with making it a faster process.

They say a car is the worst investment you can make, but I always had the mentality: since it is the worst, I'm going to make the best of it. And I'm certain this will be considered a classic one day.
Hey I graduated during the pandemic as well with a Mech. Engineering degree! Same goals of getting into the automotive industry as yours. I'm really happy that there are actual enthusiasts and people who know their stuff who are serious about getting the Type R. Nothing makes me more sad than 'affordable' (relatively) performance cars being hogged by rich oligarchs who just buy them for the hype or show. These hot hatches were made with the "pocket friendly fun" mantra in mind and the segment basically embodies us hustlers trying to keep up with the big boys of the game. Not to say that there aren't people older who shouldn't get these cars; it's just that I feel that in an ideal world these cars should land in the hands of someone capable of truly loving them and knowing their worth, instead of someone who would flip them. Just like gaming GPUs should be in the hands of gamers and not someone who uses bots and flips them.

Last edited:

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
I turned 26 last week and I graduated with a master's degree in Automotive Engineering during the pandemic. With the push to go all electric, I really want to get the best driver's car that I can comfortably afford. I am a stick shift enthusiast, always will be, and unless forced by the government/economics, I would NEVER buy an automatic and/or electric vehicle :headbang:

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Mid 40ā€™s with a FL5 R heading in soon

Main draw is it is a useable daily and fun with the manual trans and playful handling. Resale is good as well if well cared for and not heavily modified. Other than a set of rims for snow tires and front end PPF I donā€™t plan on any modifications.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Mid 40ā€™s with a FL5 R heading in soon

Main draw is it is a useable daily and fun with the manual trans and playful handling. Resale is good as well if well cared for and not heavily modified. Other than a set of rims for snow tires and front end PPF I donā€™t plan on any modifications.
Did you have a snow tire set up in mind?

I'm conflicted about what to so about wheels and tires.

Go 18 inch forged and snowstorms then drive on 19in until I wear the tires and then buy another set?

It's a bit much.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Definitely 18ā€ for the rims. I still need to research which snow tires to get. Figuring about a 245 section width and 35-40 series sidewall to get around a 25.5ā€ diameter.
There is a thread on the forum talking about offsets so will use that as reference. Looks to be around +45 offset. Will buy forged because for the strength and will be easier to unload on secondary market if I ever want to switch them up.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS, C8 Z06; great pairing
42 and my wife says my Type R is a mid life crisis car. Lol
she's right ... and that's okay!

don't have one but i'm in the market at 38yo ... my other buddies are also late 30s who are planning on buying one and/or have the last gen. it's a car with styling aimed at a high-schooler yet has the daily/family utility and enjoyment of what we're supposed to be driving (M3?) for half the price. love seeing the 70+ yo folks still buying fun cars!

CWNole95

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 CW FL5
Iā€™ll be 46 in May. Husband and father of two teenage boys. Lifelong Honda enthusiast and owner. Currently awaiting my FL5 to land and owner of an FK8 LE (#031) and AP2 RYP S2000.

Youā€™re never too old :)

nowaytoescape

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Escape
Nice! I started my Engineering journey way later but if I were your age I would probably do the same!
I just turned 25 and Iā€™m about to start my mechanical engineering degree journey. I went into truck driving after the military but now Iā€™m ready for school and really just want to be in the automotive industry. I read itā€™s better to go into mechanical engineering instead of just going straight for automotive engineering. So thatā€™s the route Iā€™m going to do.
Sponsored