• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
Thanks for the first impressions write-up! I can't wait to hear your updated thoughts after you've had a lot more time/miles in the car. Is there anything that was a pleasant surprise (or weren't expecting to like but do)?
Sponsored

jhmhondas

First Name
Umer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra MT, S2000
What R-number is this if you don’t mind me asking. Trying to see what numbers are actually starting to arrive. Thanks. Congrats

Zero7

First Name
Avtar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Congrats, you had me at Orgasm :)

A bit worried that it's bouncy even in comfort mode, hope they have not made it like the FD2 which I'm sure was fine on Japanese roads but terrible elsewhere

atlcivic

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 1M
Just curious which Lexus and Toyotas you've owned since those cars are generally more about comfort and a plush ride, and explain your relative feeling of a bouncy/harsh ride and road noise.

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
Really appreciate your well detailed comments and observations regarding your very early FL5 and easy to determine that you certainly are enjoying your very cool car.

Previously owned a Rallye Red 2018 for a year (~6,000 miles) but when transferred out West I sold it back to my selling Honda dealership and got pretty much what I paid for it after a year of spirited driving so how good was that!

Regarding your comment centered around a few insecure FK8 owners, that is an understatement.

avalanche011

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y, Porsche GT3 and C5 Z06
Congratulations on the car! Thank you for your feedback on it. Also thank you for a picture of the FL5 next to another car looking small (next to a Lexus RX ;)).

First Name
Apollo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
hello! this as of me writing this, i have owned this car for two days. a majority of the miles come from me driving home 3 hours from the dealership. i have never done anything related to reviewing cars, so i apologize if this review is ass lol. i’ll keep it short, but to the point. feel free to ask questions, i can try to answer. i also have never owned a honda in my life, only toyotas and lexus’.

driving:

first of all, this car is pretty damn big in person. it’s like an inch longer than the fk8 and it’s pretty wide, giving the car such an aggressive stance. the car is also heavier than the fk8. despite all of this, the girth and “weight” goes away when you drive. the car feels incredibly nimble and light. there are different steering modes; comfort, sport, and r+. i like to keep it at r+ as it gives weight to the steering and a lot more precise feedback. all modes feel great, comfort just takes away the weight and aggressiveness. never tried sport as of this moment. i’ve only driven an fk8 once and honestly don’t remember much, so i cannot compare well, but the car is absolutely nuts. i have felt 0 oversteering while pushing the car aggressively (not too much since i still want to break it in), and i have never felt so confident taking bends at 80 mph. i could probably go faster if i had the balls to. i also have 0 complaints about the shifter and clutch feel. the shifter is veryyy narrow and precise, i swear i could orgasm by just shifting the car. the clutch is very easy as well. i had no problems getting home and driving everywhere as it’s my first manual car. there are two settings for auto rev-matching; comfort and sport. sport just makes it rev higher and faster. i prefer keeping it in sport. it’s pretty damn quick, no complaints for it. compared to the fk8’s rev-matching? it’s quicker for sure, but i haven’t driven an fk8 in a while so i can’t say it with confidence. i also don’t like the fake engine noise as well hence i put the exhaust setting on comfort (which disables fake engine noise) and everything on r+ besides suspension and throttle response. the gauge cluster is very cool as well on r+, reminds me of the s2k’s cluster. you can see everything from boost pressure, oil pressure, etc.

car is too quiet as well :((

probably my only true complaint has to be the suspension. it’s really good when you need it, but’s too rough for daily driving. it’s too reactive and bumpy even in comfort mode. not punishing, but could wear out a person for a bit. i live in seattle and i know bad roads. road noise floor is also pretty loud, could be the tires, but probably not the main cause of it.

exterior:

i LOVE how wide this car is. in videos and pictures, it’s not the most noticeable thing. in-person though, it’s very noticeable. i’m in love how the door is wider to accommodate the widebody. it’s not weird and tacky, like the fk8 as it’s “widebody” is just like a fender flare that anyone could do. in the fl5, it’s the actual body panels itself. the only body panel it shares with the normal civic is probably the front doors. i see a lot of complaints about the rear wing, but i like it a lot. very cool to see it in the side and rearview mirrors. build quality is nuts as well.

interior and build quality:

the seats. the seats are the best part of the car. they look amazing and look very race car-like hehe. a bit hard to get in and out, but it’s pretty good to daily. they feel amazing, minimal back wear after long drives. they grip the body hard and the bolster are aggressive while being comfortable. as what you guys have seen in in reviews, the interior is intuitive and is just a great place to be. logR is fun and gimmicky, not gonna explain what it’s gonna do since honda has a video on it. (talked about the cluster in driving).

red carpets are also not a distraction, they attract a lot of men.

the car’s build quality is definitely a step-up. 0 body—panel gaps, good paint quality. my car doesn’t have orange peel. it’s just such a well-built car, comparable to my family’s 2019 rx350 honestly. love how the door has that high-end door weight to it. because it’s a little longer than the fk8, the car is an absolute cavern on the inside, especially with the seats down. i can fit all of my girlfriends and gold bars in it with no problem.

the sound system is quite bumpin. it sounds super clear and there’s great balance between bass, treble, and mid (i’m not certified to review audio systems, i don’t know shit about them). i’m not an audiophile, but i would honestly sometimes sit in this car just to listen to music. it’s an amazing sounding system. it’s also able to drown out the noise-floor and adjust loudness with the car’s speed.

conclusion:

so far from me driving from my university and work, it’s a super dailyable car. feels like i’m driving a bigger fwd go-kart. i know why people call the type r’s the 911 gt3 of hatchbacks. amazing engineering and passion flow through this car, i can feel it. i’m driving the shit out of this car, i don’t care if it’s the only one in washington state as of this moment, i bought this car to drive. people’s opinions on it can also go down the drain, don’t let the insecure fk8 owners that only talk shit let you down when you guys get your fl5s haha. this car, imo and i guess factually, is an improvement in every single way. i have many road trips and drives planned for this car. super excited to see what brands like j’s racing and seeker can do to this car as well. but for now, i’m gonna enjoy it as is. it’s amazing.

A1BA67F6-738A-46A0-B353-EE3AC64F05BB.jpeg

46A10A8C-94B0-4186-894A-59E68843A01E.jpeg

1A3174A8-7B88-48DB-9A66-8ACE474E88CC.jpeg

4D7FF89F-E2CD-418A-8294-7F07AF5B393F.jpeg

7AF2FFC0-9F83-44FB-B6C2-06A6999E2E47.jpeg

8D42FF56-EEE3-4903-A3EE-3007CFDF7603.jpeg

3C159690-EA08-44F9-B07B-47024C9D31A8.jpeg

(i really like kpop if you can't tell lol)
She’s beautiful 😻 can’t wait to get my paws on these bad boys (in 4 years) enjoy my friend.

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
What's your last 3 digits of Vin and the Badge number on the dash?

Are they totally different? Curious!!

avalanche011

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y, Porsche GT3 and C5 Z06
I noticed what wasnt said here. 1- how bad did u get hosed with adm? 2- how much slower the acceleration is compared to fk8. I know u prob cant really say on #2 cause u didnt own an fk8; only drove one. The elephant in the room is the final ratio change from 4.11 to 3.84. That is a big drop and will slow the car down alot considering the hp and tq didnt go up much. Someone needs to hit the strip so we can see what the trap spped of the fl5 is.
My guess is that the change in final drive is to accommodate the shorter tires being that they are 19s with same profile ratio. Then again, my guess is as good as yours. Hopefully more info to come as folks are getting their hands on the car.

Last edited:

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITS, C8 Z06; great pairing
funny about the red carpets attracting men. so many guys get a car to attract women but end up attracting dudes instead. funny how you learned that in the first 2 days haha. i think some folks will like it, especially the honda racing historians. red-everything interiors look good on some specs but i think i'll need to find a way to delete some it. definitely not a deal breaker though.

you'll get used to the suspension and road noise if you enjoy driving the car enough, but there's definitely a tradeoff for suspension performance and comfort. it's not for everyone though.

the sound isn't a surprise. the last CTR had a zero-inspiration sound as well. especially if you're used to a V6/V8 from Lexus. the sound is definitely my least favorite thing about the last car and i suspect that'll carry through to this car as well.

seems like the car is a slight evolution from the prior gen ... which is a good thing.

Y82OneTwoSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR - 2022 MDX Type S Advance
I noticed what wasnt said here. 1- how bad did u get hosed with adm? 2- how much slower the acceleration is compared to fk8. I know u prob cant really say on #2 cause u didnt own an fk8; only drove one. The elephant in the room is the final ratio change from 4.11 to 3.84. That is a big drop and will slow the car down alot considering the hp and tq didnt go up much. Someone needs to hit the strip so we can see what the trap spped of the fl5 is.
Understood on the final drive ratio being reduced by 6.5% but with new FL5 running 19" wheels compared to 20" wheels on the FK8 there is no question that the Honda engineers took that issue into consideration.

I expect the wider 265/30/19 Michelin tires on the FL5 to have a smaller overall tire diameter height than the 245/30/20 Continental's on the FK8 therefore that will help some with respect to acceleration.

With that being said along with the increase in HP and torque for the FL5 I don't see the new model being any slower in acceleration than it's predecessor but may be wrong. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: