• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Xchax3

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP '23 Civic Type R #711
I just wanted to say thank you guys for the video. You summed it up perfectly in under 20 minutes. The ending also perfectly summed up our opinions as well as a whole. It's great that we have a voice through you and keep up the awesome work!
Sponsored

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
@savagegeese Thank you for all your work. I drove my FK8 up to Toronto Motorsports Park a few years back and you took me for a few laps in your awesome Ariel Atom.

Throttle House released their video today and it appears the FK8 is faster from a roll than the FL5. Is that surprising to you? Seems kind of disappointing, tbh.

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
I just wanted to say thank you guys for the video. You summed it up perfectly in under 20 minutes. The ending also perfectly summed up our opinions as well as a whole. It's great that we have a voice through you and keep up the awesome work!
I am going to try my best while I am on here and own car to keep in touch with Honda. Deep down I understand how important a car like this is to people. The biggest issue with "budget" performance cars is in this era is they has vanished. Now there are expensive car options because brands have gotten smart and cater to bigger/wallets which nets them far more margin exclusivity.

We quibble over a 10k markup, while a Porsche buyer is adding 10k of options to a Macan for contrasting stitching, kick plates and 360 cameras.

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
@savagegeese Thank you for all your work. I drove my FK8 up to Toronto Motorsports Park a few years back and you took me for a few laps in your awesome Ariel Atom.

Throttle House released their video today and it appears the FK8 is faster from a roll than the FL5. Is that surprising to you? Seems kind of disappointing, tbh.
I would not really pay attention to the rolling and drag race stuff. When it comes down to it. When you take both these cars on a track the FL5 will outperform the FK8 car in real world conditions. It will be more consistent in performance and power levels. While it may only show a 1 second advantage in a 1:45 lap. Think about extended lapping. That 1 second will spread to 1.5 seconds or 2 over a 20 minute session when you factor in tire degradation and consistent power.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
@savagegeese - thanks for the thorough video, excellent content as always!

1) Since the spring rates are the same, I'm assuming the spring part numbers may be the same as the ones on the FK8?
2) Do you know if the damper part numbers are identical to the FK8, and that just the ADS controller is programmed for a wider damping range?
3) How would you compare the FL5 +R damping with the FK8 LE in +R mode?

Thanks!

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
@savagegeese - thanks for the thorough video, excellent content as always!

1) Since the spring rates are the same, I'm assuming the spring part numbers may be the same as the ones on the FK8?
2) Do you know if the damper part numbers are identical to the FK8, and that just the ADS controller is programmed for a wider damping range?
3) How would you compare the FL5 +R damping with the FK8 LE in +R mode?

Thanks!
1. Spring parts could be the same assuming they kept same supplier.
3. He said the dampers were completely revalved so they would be different. How the software side works could also be different because of drive mode changes so swapping the shocks to FK8 may no work or have different wiring.

This car is +R feels more aggressively valved compared to FK8 LE however it's not something I can prove. It just feels more aggressive seat of pants.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
1. Spring parts could be the same assuming they kept same supplier.
3. He said the dampers were completely revalved so they would be different. How the software side works could also be different because of drive mode changes so swapping the shocks to FK8 may no work or have different wiring.

This car is +R feels more aggressively valved compared to FK8 LE however it's not something I can prove. It just feels more aggressive seat of pants.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm the odd one out and unlike most people, I'm a stiff suspension junkie and actually find the hard ride more engaging and fun lol (assuming no potholes).

If only the ADS module were different, I could just get that one part to try out, and risk it not being compatible with the FK8. But if the dampers themselves are different, then at a minimum, one would need to get the 4 dampers and the ADS module, to try and experiment. Like you said though, the wiring (and even the connector for the ADS module) could be different.

Nobody else had done the LE ADS mod on the base FK8, so I took a gamble and it paid off. However, the FL5 to FK8 suspension mod would be costly if it doesn't work out, so not sure if I want to be the guinea pig in this case lol.

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It could also be that the newer model wasn't fully broken in yet.

OP
OP

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Thanks for the feedback! I'm the odd one out and unlike most people, I'm a stiff suspension junkie and actually find the hard ride more engaging and fun lol (assuming no potholes).

If only the ADS module were different, I could just get that one part to try out, and risk it not being compatible with the FK8. But if the dampers themselves are different, then at a minimum, one would need to get the 4 dampers and the ADS module, to try and experiment. Like you said though, the wiring (and even the connector for the ADS module) could be different.

Nobody else had done the LE ADS mod on the base FK8, so I took a gamble and it paid off. However, the FL5 to FK8 suspension mod would be costly if it doesn't work out, so not sure if I want to be the guinea pig in this case lol.
When I get the car I'll take the connector off and take a picture, remind me.

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VA WRX STI,
Also the retail Cup 2 Connect are 240 treadwear compare to 180 for the LE Cup 2s. Any idea if the Cup 2 Connect as supplied by Honda are also 240?
I think all the Cup2 connect are tw240 and has the new sidewall, like the M2CS is the first car to have them back in 2020. The thing is that, a retail normal Cup2 have both tw180/tw240 with old sidewall started in 2020. In SG video's introduction, it shows the Cup2 with old sidewall, but basically all test cars for journalists I saw equipped with Cup2 with new sidewall(I think that's Cup2c TBH). But those H0 Marked Cup2c in Japan is comfirmed 240tw, and as long as it's tw240, it should has the newer compounds and construction, Better than the old 180tw
11th Gen Honda Civic πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ Media Launch Questions for savagegeese? E92HJnzVQAMdxJD

11th Gen Honda Civic πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ Media Launch Questions for savagegeese? 1668557492907

11th Gen Honda Civic πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ Media Launch Questions for savagegeese? 1668558776200

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
@savagegeese thanks for the great review video! Could you maybe speak to who the GR Corolla would be better for and who the Type R would be better for? I know you touched on the Type R feeling more edgy and quick, but was wondering if you had noticed any other major differences in character?

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mazda3 Turbo, 13 FR-S, 03 RSX Type S
This is a different kind of question but it applies to all new Honda/Acura owners- why aren't there any parts diagrams and numbers that are browsable/searchable for most MY2022 models, and should we expect to see them at some point? Everybody has their favorite Honda parts website, whether it be bernardiparts.com, hondapartsnow.com, alldiscountparts.com, etc., but none of them show parts for the 2022+ Civic, only the Insight, Odyssey, and MDX. I'm sure if you have a part number, you can order it, but being able to research the part number on your own and determine fitment without having to contact a dealer is a huge benefit for the backyard mechanic. I'm assuming the reason is COVID/supply chain related, but I would like to hear a corporate response.

savagegeese- thanks for all that you do, and keep doing what you're doing!
Sponsored