• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Speaking as someone with a fully modded, tuned Type R: the current platform can't be pushed too much farther while still maintaining the reliability and stability that Honda is targeting. Using anything short of Cup 2's, I can spin my tires in 2nd through 4th, and I've most certainly introduced a minor element of torque steer with all the extra twist. A SH-AWD platform just makes sense, even if it's still paired with the same K20C1. That said, I think that the new V6 Turbo from the TLX Type S makes sense as an inclusion on the new R. Honda's unit cost must be pretty high on it right now, since it's only used in one low-volume model. Honda began sticking modified versions of the K20C1 in many different high volume cars and it really brought the unit cost of that engine down. It stands to reason that they could do the same with the V6 Turbo.

Plus it'd sound amazing. The K20C1 is capable of a lot of things, but sounding great is not one of them.
Yeah an AWD V6 Acura version would be awesome but would also be 300-400lbs heavier. So it’d be a different animal.
Sponsored

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
If Honda gives the si a single mass flywheel and drastically reduces the rev hang, that might actually give me a reason to trade my 17 coupe si for the 22 si. But I gotta make sure that this new gen isn’t cursed

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Yeah an AWD V6 Acura version would be awesome but would also be 300-400lbs heavier. So it’d be a different animal.
For sure. I'm just not sure what else they can do. If they want to stay competitive with their immediate competitors (new STI, new Golf R, new 400Z), they're going to have to add at least 30 hp over the current Type R. But even stock FK8's can spin their wheels if the driver steps down too hard, and even a mild tune only amplifies that. I agree with most that the wheel spin can be addressed with intelligent throttle management, but I can't see an OEM selling a car under the assumption that the driver won't ever floor it. SH-AWD would be the perfect next step - like the Golf R's haldex system, it's still FWD until you need it not to be. And I think that they could do it without adding more than 200 lbs. That's about the weight difference between a Golf R and a GTI. So a 3300 lb Type R, with no additional weight savings.

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
For sure. I'm just not sure what else they can do. If they want to stay competitive with their immediate competitors (new STI, new Golf R, new 400Z), they're going to have to add at least 30 hp over the current Type R. But even stock FK8's can spin their wheels if the driver steps down too hard, and even a mild tune only amplifies that. I agree with most that the wheel spin can be addressed with intelligent throttle management, but I can't see an OEM selling a car under the assumption that the driver won't ever floor it. SH-AWD would be the perfect next step - like the Golf R's haldex system, it's still FWD until you need it not to be. And I think that they could do it without adding more than 200 lbs. That's about the weight difference between a Golf R and a GTI. So a 3300 lb Type R, with no additional weight savings.
the Current Type R is faster than the Type S TLX ;) but faster than a Golf R! ;)

Type R = 1:14.81
Type S = 1:16.66
Golf R = 1:18.47

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
If they shrunk it a little I'd like it. Wouldn't buy an automatic though.

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
I think Acura could base an AWD version of the type R, change the sheetmetal and make it their own.

Honda could keep the "why" of the Type R and give the AWD lovers what they want.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I think Acura could base an AWD version of the type R, change the sheetmetal and make it their own.

Honda could keep the "why" of the Type R and give the AWD lovers what they want.
If Acura doesn't do this they should just kill themselves.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Just occured to me the front looks like the old Integra.

I may finally be the owner of a Type R, but loved every one of them from afar.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Civic Type R Info & Rendering. Will Have Manual Transmission and Upgraded 2.0L Turbo Engine head-Nick-Baileys-Honda-Integra-Type-R-3-2000x1333

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2005 WRX Wagon, 2013 X5M, 2019 Type R!!!
I personally think everyone has the hood all wrong on the upcoming 2022 - I don't see a fed air in the front hole like we see presently - I think it'll be a large opening like above the radiator to vent air out and over - will see but interesting to see what the reveal will look like!

Hurry up with it already!

turbomike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Honda Canda - West, the track, not in your DMs
Vehicle(s)
23 FL5 CTR, 22 MDX-S, 20 FK8 CTR
Based on this thread, this is where the hood scoop sits

I personally think everyone has the hood all wrong on the upcoming 2022 - I don't see a fed air in the front hole like we see presently - I think it'll be a large opening like above the radiator to vent air out and over - will see but interesting to see what the reveal will look like!

Hurry up with it already!
Sponsored