• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
My issue is not that the FL5 was slower than its predecessor in a straight line (frankly, I don’t care about straight line speed), but that I have never seen or heard of that before on any highly respected and performance-oriented car, ever. Even if everything else is better on the FL5, it’s still slower in a straight line and by a large margin it appears (basing this on how easily it got walked each time by the FK8 in the TH video).

Straight line speed is a metric most of us probably care least about, but it’s still a metric that probably shouldn’t have been a letdown IMO.
Sponsored

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 Civic Type R LE
People here talk like they're all seasoned racers but bet most of you guys don't have much track time if at all.
20 years of track driving and in my stock Hyundai i30N (basically a hatch version of the Elantra N) my best time is 1:11.1 at my local track that Hyundai also use for development of their N range.

By comparison one of the professional drivers Hyundai use managed a 1:10.8 in the same spec car. So while I'm not a professional driver I'm not far off what they're doing and know what a well engineered and balanced car feels like.

Comparing latptimes is moot, just cause you wear Jordans sure shit won't let you play like him.
So we should measure the objective value of a car by the mediocrity of the driver rather than its inherent engineering qualities? That's just laughable and clutching at straws.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
So we should measure the objective value of a car by the mediocrity of the driver rather than its inherent engineering qualities? That's just laughable and clutching at straws.
great you have 20 years of track experience. Majority don't and majority of these cars will never see the track. I'll bet more of these will see the drag strip than a actual track. Its completely okay to disregard that the competitor car is way faster in the straight line but saying straight line doesn't matter in a performance car isn't pulling straws.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
Guys, we live in a world where any car that you buy, from a Type R to a Lamborghini, is going to be beat by your neighbor's Tesla off the line. Stoplight drag racing is pretty much at the bottom of my priority list when it comes to car buying.

WeudS

First Name
Daoud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 RR CTR, (Sold)2021 RR CTR, 2011 Tahoe LTZ
@savagegeese and Throttle House are the only reviews you need to watch
I'll add ted
Savagegeese, Throttlehouse and Topher.

The StraightPipes was mostly pointless (and less entertaining than usual). I haven't watched Redline Review, Raiti's or Dougs (Find them both annoying)
Toss in Tedward. He was cheesing the entire time

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I'll add ted
Toss in Tedward. He was cheesing the entire time
Super random, but I actually bought a watch that he wore in a video that I really liked. 😅

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback sport
The more reviews I watch, the vibe I’m getting is people are absolutely loving the car. But also, the vibe I’m getting is FK8 drivers and FL5 drivers are going to be flipping birds instead of the Jeep wave lol
Nah first FL5 I see will get a wave and then I’ll stalk them to find where they live lol.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
People here talk like they're all seasoned racers but bet most of you guys don't have much track time if at all. I certainly have less than 20 hours of track days. For the majority of you the Golf R will be faster on real world driving. The trick diff on the golf makes you a much better driver than you are. Comparing latptimes is moot, just cause you wear Jordans sure shit won't let you play like him.
Are you planning to buy a FL5? Sounds to me like your sold on the Golf R

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Are you planning to buy a FL5? Sounds to me like your sold on the Golf R
seems like neither at this point. I dont think either cars is a huge upgrade to my current car. Type R is a want not a need. I always knew it would be a great driving car but its slow as shit for the price.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
But the car has given you more for your hard-earned money.

The FL5 is:
  1. faster around a track than the car it replaces
  2. more refined than the car it replaces
  3. stiffer chassis-wise than the car it replaces
  4. Technologically more advanced than the car it replaces
  5. equipped with a higher quality interior than the car it replaces
  6. built in a factory that has higher quality control standards than the car it replaces
I understand your concerns about stagnation but their are multiple ways in which it has progressed over the model it replaces.
Id argue it also has way more handling upside with the ability to install even wider and more aggressive tires with the stock dampers. R is extreme.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
The more reviews I watch, the vibe I’m getting is people are absolutely loving the car. But also, the vibe I’m getting is FK8 drivers and FL5 drivers are going to be flipping birds instead of the Jeep wave lol
I just don't understand it. I feel like people have lost the ability to communicate effectively.

Sure, your performance car may be fun to drive but it's almost as slow as this performance car that cost less in these categories. What part of the game is that?

0-60
1/4 mile times

To me, that is advertising fluff. I just can't imagine ever hearing anyone from Honda discuss it.

I do enjoy the video reviews. You tend to relate what the creators are saying versus other cars they have had the opportunity to experience before.

The only thing I don't look forward to about the car is the small fuel tank and fuel eco to go with it. Everything else, I'm really excited about. It is a step in the right direction overall for me.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
My issue is not that the FL5 was slower than its predecessor in a straight line (frankly, I don’t care about straight line speed), but that I have never seen or heard of that before on any highly respected and performance-oriented car, ever. Even if everything else is better on the FL5, it’s still slower in a straight line and by a large margin it appears (basing this on how easily it got walked each time by the FK8 in the TH video).

Straight line speed is a metric most of us probably care least about, but it’s still a metric that probably shouldn’t have been a letdown IMO.
Ferrari did it with the F50 it was slower than the F40 in a straight line.

I am not convinced this car is actually slower than the FK8. CD had the FL5 at 106 mph in the quarter mile most reviews usually had the FK8 around 104. We know the car makes more power I would think it's a wash with the gearing and weight changes. Possible the throttle house car was a factory freak.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Ferrari did it with the F50 it was slower than the F40 in a straight line.

I am not convinced this car is actually slower than the FK8. CD had the FL5 at 106 mph in the quarter mile most reviews usually had the FK8 around 104. We know the car makes more power I would think it's a wash with the gearing and weight changes. Possible the throttle house car was a factory freak.
I have a feeling people will compare it to the LE.
Sponsored