• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
It can’t be “entitlement” if people are spending their hard earned money on it.

IMO, everyone has the right to vent their frustrations when/if the product they buy (or look forward to buying) doesn’t meet their expectations. And it’s up to them and only them to decide what those expectations are. If someone cares dearly about straight line speed, we cannot (and should not) convince them that it’s meaningless “because the car was meant to produce good lap times”.

That’s also why other cars exist. Believe it or not, I am now cross-shopping the new CTR with the latest M2. Because why not. Realistically, I’ll have to spend similar money on either car.
I agree with you. Just venting my frustration towards the unnecessary hate these cars get for not being perfect.
Sponsored

fkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
I think for those complaining after seeing the TH video, many of those are not track day people but will want to own a CTR as a daily, and on the odd occasion have a bit of fun on normal roads. We have all seen numerous videos of YouTubers posting videos of themselves doing a launch or rolling start against another car on normal roads, and this is for them, I feel, is where the TH video of the FL5 being slower is an issue because in reality that is what they do.

When I watched the TH video, I was quite taken back by it because it was the least thing I expected. Even if the FL5 wasn't going to be faster I didn't think it would be slower if anything it would be slightly on par with the FK8. I understand why people are in a huff about it especially people who had planned to buy a CTR or have been following the FL5 up to its launch, they want it as a daily yet also want a bit of casual fun against their friends.

It hasn't put me off the CTR, I would still like to own one. But where as before I was constantly thinking about it and how I could finance the car once it hit the shores over here, after watching the video reviews I am no longer in that obsessive mindset of having to own one, so I am actually glad to have seen these reviews. My plan now is to sit and wait for the price announcement in the UK, no need to plan ahead or decide if I should offload my 10th Gen Sport whilst I can still get a decent price now. If anything I am ok to even wait for the 2 year refresh of the FL5 if there is one planned by Honda.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Topher’s was one of my favorites as well. The back and forth with Tedward was solid.
Yup, both Topher’s and Tedward’s vids (on their respective channels) are my two favourite FL5 first impressions videos so far for sure.

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I don't care about straight line acceleration. I care about track times. You are reading a post without the context of the conversation. I am pro 1/10th of a second gain on track bud. Tired of ppl whimpering about the car losing a roll race. The real win was it being faster around the circut. Not sure what you're on about. I'm arguing FOR the purpose of the car which is being fast around a track, not driving in a straight line.
Being faster from a roll, especially top end is pretty important. So is braking which the FL5 is taking slightly longer to do from 70mph. It appears the shorter gearing for daily duties is a negative here. I’m curious how track times will look because I’ve already seen a non-LE FK8 driver net a faster time than an FL5.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
look I'd be honest...I've never tracked my FK8, and probably don't intend to track the FL5 (unless Honda USA offers of track program)...so this is my take, and it's probably complete horse S#&t for some of you, but I think on a road course race track, the FH8 will not "stretch" on the FL5, because most of the time they are not side by side....it was a manufactured condition that they are side by side for a really long side by side race...I think on proper road course, the FK8 will be playing "catch up" most of the time...but probably stupid talk... :crazy:

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
so far nothing super negative in any of the reviews...stiff chassis in the only re0ccuring complaints.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
Topher was good. Tedward had one hand on each gearstick.
I didn’t mind the (over)abundance of enthusiasm from Tedward, and it came across as genuine since he does have an FL5 on order he’s upgrading to from the latest gen Si.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I can't get a new FK8 so really don't care if it's a tiny bit faster from a roll.

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
It can’t be “entitlement” if people are spending their hard earned money on it.

IMO, everyone has the right to vent their frustrations when/if the product they buy (or look forward to buying) doesn’t meet their expectations. And it’s up to them and only them to decide what those expectations are. If someone cares dearly about straight line speed, we cannot (and should not) convince them that it’s meaningless “because the car was meant to produce good lap times”.

That’s also why other cars exist. Believe it or not, I am now cross-shopping the new CTR with the latest M2. Because why not. Realistically, I’ll have to spend similar money on either car.
I agree with you that everyone has a right to vent their frustrations, especially if they plan on spending their money on it.

But it sure seems like there are a lot of people on these forums who are not actually seriously considering the FL5, and are mainly here just to hate...

notthatlargo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
so far nothing super negative in any of the reviews...stiff chassis in the only re0ccuring complaints.
For sure, although it’s funny to read some reviews say the ride is like a regular Civic and fine for Montreal roads, and others say it would be too much to ask your family to ride in the car on a daily basis. Every person has different expectations and tolerances I guess. I am curious how I’ll feel though once I drive it.

Ministry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Boost Blue #684, 2022 Si (sold)
Is that from all reviewers, or just Straight Pipe?
Motor Illustrated had this to say in regards to the steering:

Now, about steering, I am surprised to report that the new FL5’s performance is a trivial notch below, from 12 to 11 out of ten, from that of the FK8’s. The best way to illustrate the difference is that the old Type R’s assistance is even throughout the wheel’s turns, as though it was unassisted. The new car’s steering assistance backs off slightly as the wheel returns to center only to build up once past the threshold. Yeah, that’s about it.

Key word being trivial.
Sponsored