• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
I've got nothing against Elantra Ns, but in 20 years, they're going to be worth about $8k, while the FL5 will still be sitting pretty at MSRP (or higher). As much as they may look similar on paper, I am simply not cross-shopping the two.
bring the i30N or suck it, Hyundai.
Sponsored

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Cant stand Raiti. Almost nothing he says is useful and that you couldn’t find in a short article. One comment he makes which illustrates my point is while driving the Elantra N he states, ”it so easy to get third gear every single time!”. Huh? Never knew getting a manual into third gear was such an achievement.

With that said I did click on the video because, well, it featured a 2023 Type R o_O 😂
Be careful, he may zonk this post. 🙃

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
Let's talk about what's going on here...

IMO his videos are for (meager) entertainment only, but I do think this video is interesting — mostly because he actually owns the Type R. I expected him to be more wildly positive about that car vs. the EN.

I’d be coming from the other direction — own an EN and maybe want a Type R someday. While the Type R is a step forward in a lot of ways, videos like this give me pause on the 10-20K premium. At minimum, I don’t think paying a markup on the Type R is worth it for me.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I've got nothing against Elantra Ns, but in 20 years, they're going to be worth about $8k, while the FL5 will still be sitting pretty at MSRP (or higher). As much as they may look similar on paper, I am simply not cross-shopping the two.
That's quite a bit of speculation regarding $8k/MSRP for future resale value. I don't disagree with your statement, but it would be fair to say that the FL5 will have a higher resale value compared to the Elantra N in the future, given the Honda pedigree.

I'll just be blunt and say that the Elantra N styling isn't for me and I'm sure a lot of us would agree.

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
At this point I don’t think there is a dispute that the FL5 is a better car than the FK8 (looks are subjective aside). The question is, is it 15 to 20k better? I guess it depends on you and your pockets. For me, I can afford one, but for me it isn’t 20k better than my car.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
There's nothing to cross shop in my opinion. It's this vehicle or you go in a different direction. I hear a lot of folks talking about looking/moving on to a M2C or RS3. That's not cross shopping to me.
With the amount of value that the Elantra N presents, I feel like it's a valid competitor to the FL5 and I can see people cross-shopping between the two. Objectively, the FL5 is better than the Elantra N, but is it ~$12k better? That's up to the buyer to decide.

People who are contemplating an M2/RS3 are factoring in the possibility of paying ADM, although they are in different market segments.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
That's quite a bit of speculation regarding $8k/MSRP for future resale value. I don't disagree with your statement, but it would be fair to say that the FL5 will have a higher resale value compared to the Elantra N in the future, given the Honda pedigree.

I'll just be blunt and say that the Elantra N styling isn't for me and I'm sure a lot of us would agree.
Of course it's speculation. It's an age-old tactic of using hyperbole to get a point across. ;)

Sazabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
With the amount of value that the Elantra N presents, I feel like it's a valid competitor to the FL5 and I can see people cross-shopping between the two. Objectively, the FL5 is better than the Elantra N, but is it ~$12k better? That's up to the buyer to decide.

People who are contemplating an M2/RS3 are factoring in the possibility of paying ADM, although they are in different market segments.
I've driven both back to back. I don't think the N competes. There's another level of refinement in the R that the N doesn't have. Plus the R uniqueness, versus the N looking like a nice Hyundai car.

The N is up there but not next to the R. Also like I said before, the people who buy a R know what they want. People going for the N are cross shoppers trying to get best value.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I've driven both back to back. I don't think the N competes. There's another level of refinement in the R that the N doesn't have. Plus the R uniqueness, versus the N looking like a nice Hyundai car.

The N is up there but not next to the R. Also like I said before, the people who buy a R know what they want. People going for the N are cross shoppers trying to get best value.
Then in this situation, you feel that the refinement and uniqueness of the FL5 justifies the price differential. Some people see the differences as marginal, while others (mainly enthusiasts) see it as entirely justified.

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
I was interested in buying the FL5 but only about 10 cars came to Sweden. Price was about 60k USD. It was not possible to get an allocation. I ordered an RS3 instead, with a lot of options for only 63k USD.

Kevv_Her

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2018 Type R, 2013 Civic Ex
At this point I don’t think there is a dispute that the FL5 is a better car than the FK8 (looks are subjective aside). The question is, is it 15 to 20k better? I guess it depends on you and your pockets. For me, I can afford one, but for me it isn’t 20k better than my car.
This is the same boat I am on. I actually really like the way the FK8 looks, I know that's sacrilegious to say on this forum LOL. With that said, I do also genuinely like the FL5, but it's just not worth the mark up for me at this moment IMO. I am still after 5 years of owning my FK8 very happy with it, so I just don't see the hassle worth it. Now if a miracle happens and I find a CW FL5 at MSRP then we're talking. But for now, I am happily sitting back and watching from the sidelines.

Last edited:

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
The N was considered but I am thoroughly unimpressed by Hyundai interiors, ride, etc - bearing in mind I've only been in older ones or cheaper models (rentals). Reliability isn't great either which is a very high priority for me, we keep our cars.

I was really into the FK8 until the FL5 was released - the (to me) improved interior is enough to sway me.

I compared cars from $35-75k with the same level of intent. Fun, manual, cars are few and far between these days.

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
This is the same boat I am on. I actually really like the way the FK8 looks, I know that's sacrilegious to say on this forum LOL. With that said, I do also genuinely like the FL5, but it's just not worth the mark up for me at this moment IMO. I am still after 5 years of owning my FK8 very happy with it, so I just don't see the hassle worth it. Now if a miracle happens and I find a CW FL5 at MSRP then we're talking. But for now, I am happily sitting back and watching from the sidelines.
Nothing wrong with this!