• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

s2kdriver80

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Great run, though it seems like he probably could have shaved off even more time, if he got the first carousel perfect and downshifted a gear before hitting some of the corners. Just armchair quarterbacking. :cool:
Sponsored

Rainy4s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VA WRX STI,
FL5's record is updated into the Official Nurburgring Lap Record a hour ago

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Civic Type R Sets New FWD Track Record at Nürburgring! 1681978488968

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
I wonder if they had to do the pedal dance to fully adjust the car and turn off the settings and what suspension setting it was set to

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
Ok,
compared to the standard FL5, how much quicker can the Type R-S be, if the weight is not saved in the suspension components? The biggest part about the LE that makes it actually quicker are the forged BBS wheels, which allows the FK8-LE to turn in quicker and generally suspension response quicker. So how much quicker is R-S actually, considering much of the weight are saved at none-essential areas?

lets throw some # at it:
total weight saving (%) = 100#/3100# ~ = 3.22%
if forged wheels were used (like the LE):
wheel weight saving (%) = 5#/25# ~= 20% !!!!!

That is 20% less stress and strain on the suspension components!
Pretty clear now why the LE is quicker than the standard FK8.
So to me, with stock wheels, this 7.44.881 time is basically a STOCK FL5 with Cup2 Tires!!!! :dance:

but of course, I'm most of the time wrong 😁

EDIT: above number are around just for back of napkin quick checks :) Oh, COG also doesn't change as the weights are save a the "fat" part of the vehicle mass, so no shift in center of gravity to decrease "overturning".

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, I’m thinking that the R-S is simply a factory installed accessories package with the carbon fiber goodies, lighter wheels, and Cup 2’s. They probably give it a special numbering plate on the dash as well. It can’t be too different from the standard R as it was Honda’s goal to set the record with a factory car (no roll cage or other stuff for people to point their fingers at and cry “vaporware!”).

Last edited:

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR, 2023 Integra aspec MT
the high speed mid corner oversteer! (chef kiss) I had that on the back roads last weekend i thought something was wrong lol. Even my FK8 didn't do that! So awesome, its going to be a good car!

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
I’ve tried to do the math but I suck at it. The FK8 finished in 7:43.8 while the FL5 did so in a longer 7:44.881. However, the track was recently lengthened from 20.6 km to 20.832 km on.

My (bad) math says this is a 1.13% increase. In minutes, the FK8 finished the course in 436.8 mins while the FL5 finished in 464.881. If we apply a 1.13% improvement to the FK8’s time, that *seems* to be a reduction of 4.396 seconds, 7:40:485.

Someone better than I am at math wanna take this?
I worked it with several approaches. Bottom line, the FL5 is over 4 seconds faster than the FK8.
The calculation can never be exactly representative. Why not? Because all track sections are not created equal, so that extra length could be a faster or slower section.
But that said, this is a clear win for the FL5. And as pointed out, an apparently more honest and representative run than by some manufacturers- looking at you Renault.
At 7:43.8 the FK8 still was almost 3 seconds faster than a 2016 Porsche 718 Cayman S.
At 7:44.881 the FL5 crushes the 2019 time of 7:52.17 set by the GR Supra.
These are fair comparisons.
I am trying to resist mentioning the numerous slower supercar times that were set ten or more years before the FK8 arrived- because tire tech advanced considerably over that period.
Example : 2002 Pagani Zonda S 7:44, 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 7:48.
Etc.
But a 7:44.13 in 2019 by a Mercedes SLS AMG is relevant.
The Type R is a practical, affordable, reliable, fwd daily.
No way it can compete with dedicated, high priced sports cars.
But apparently someone forgot to tell it that. :)

Robert.C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC2-R
I worked it with several approaches. Bottom line, the FL5 is over 4 seconds faster than the FK8.
The calculation can never be exactly representative. Why not? Because all track sections are not created equal, so that extra length could be a faster or slower section.
But that said, this is a clear win for the FL5. And as pointed out, an apparently more honest and representative run than by some manufacturers- looking at you Renault.
At 7:43.8 the FK8 still was almost 3 seconds faster than a 2016 Porsche 718 Cayman S.
At 7:44.881 the FL5 crushes the 2019 time of 7:52.17 set by the GR Supra.
These are fair comparisons.
I am trying to resist mentioning the numerous slower supercar times that were set ten or more years before the FK8 arrived- because tire tech advanced considerably over that period.
Example : 2002 Pagani Zonda S 7:44, 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 7:48.
Etc.
But a 7:44.13 in 2019 by a Mercedes SLS AMG is relevant.
The Type R is a practical, affordable, reliable, fwd daily.
No way it can compete with dedicated, high priced sports cars.
But apparently someone forgot to tell it that. :)
It is remarkable that a Honda Civic that costs $44K is capable of 7:44 at the Nurburgring. I'm not even that old, but am old enough to remember when such a number was all but impossible.

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
Yeah, I’m thinking that the R-S is simply a factory installed accessories package with the carbon fiber goodies, lighter wheels, and Cup 2’s. They probably give it a special numbering plate on the dash as well. It can’t be too different from the standard R as it was Honda’s goal to set the record with a factory car (no roll cage or other stuff for people to point their fingers at and cry “vaporware!”).
I linked the article that explains what is. A/C delete, sat nav delete, and some heavier options removed.

LaFlamaBlanca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Id love to see how the time compares vs other non modded production cars but i cant seem to find an apples-apples list,

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Great run, though it seems like he probably could have shaved off even more time, if he got the first carousel perfect and downshifted a gear before hitting some of the corners. Just armchair quarterbacking. :cool:
It looks that way from the footage.
But that begs the question of why if there was any low hanging fruit, Honda and their pro driver didn't just make that correction and run again.
It is not as if they only had time for one lap attempt.
Honda has the funds and pull to close the "Ring long enough for a lot of attempts. Doubt they left much on the table.
It is hard to be perfect on a lap - extra hard to be perfect on something as long and varied as the Nordschliefe. Maybe this was just the lap with the fewest errors, so they called it a day. Not because the entire lap was absolutely perfect.
Sponsored