• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Superhatch

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 NSX, 2007 Civic Si, 2019 Monkey
I believe someone already pointed out that on-the-fly switching may not be possible though as the ECU might throw a fit.
Good point, I was thinking pre start up, but an actual power off reset might be needed.
Sponsored

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Civic Si
As Iā€™ve said on other posts, my only issue at all is the ridiculous bounce under hard cornering. Other than that, itā€™s perfect to me. Even Best Motoring didnā€™t like the bounce and found it faster in Comfort mode (which doesnā€™t reduce the ā€˜bounce).

I *love* the ā€˜FWD GT3ā€™ harsh but razor sharp feel. Itā€™s that bounce, man. Itā€™s absurd.

Shingo Shoji

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 - Championship White
As Iā€™ve said on other posts, my only issue at all is the ridiculous bounce under hard cornering. Other than that, itā€™s perfect to me. Even Best Motoring didnā€™t like the bounce and found it faster in Comfort mode (which doesnā€™t reduce the ā€˜bounce).

I *love* the ā€˜FWD GT3ā€™ harsh but razor sharp feel. Itā€™s that bounce, man. Itā€™s absurd.
I totally agree. The bounce slows you down. Most of the time itā€™s totally fine but then you get a road that just unsettles it massively and makes it hard to push. Still waiting for my ITS module to see what itā€™s like.

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R Boost Blue Pearl
I totally agree. The bounce slows you down. Most of the time itā€™s totally fine but then you get a road that just unsettles it massively and makes it hard to push. Still waiting for my ITS module to see what itā€™s like.
I can definitely confirm now that the ITS module is less bouncy. I still haven't decided which module I prefer overall, because I like the racy edginess of the CTR piece, but if the goal is strictly to reduce the CTR's bounciness, the ITS does the job.

Shingo Shoji

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 - Championship White
I can definitely confirm now that the ITS module is less bouncy. I still haven't decided which module I prefer overall, because I like the racy edginess of the CTR piece, but if the goal is strictly to reduce the CTR's bounciness, the ITS does the job.
I wish we could have both. Racy edginess and less bounce.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
It would be amazing if Honda developed a higher-end damper that was a plug and play upgrade. Either from HPD or Mugen. Maybe they will upgrade them on the LE FL5 and we can all buy those dampers!

Per the @savagegeese video they were constrained on cost/R&D budget which is why they had to essentially recycle FK8 units.

Last edited:

savagegeese

First Name
Savagegeese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
It would be amazing if Honda developed a higher-end damper that was a plug and play upgrade. Either from HPD or Mugen. Maybe they will upgrade them on the LE FL5 and we can all buy those dampers!

Per the @savagegeese video they were constrained on cost/R&D budget which is why they had to essentially recycle FK8 units.
Mugen did research on switching the adaptive dampers away from ZF and found nothing is comparable for adaptive units. The oem who does the ADS module only works as a 1st and 2nd tier supplier its not a reflashable unit. Thats the most logical angle for aftermarket is to create a programmable box for custom damper voltages since thats basically all it is.

If I had more time thats one of the first things Id work on. It would be a gold mine for those who want to customize damper rates to match different spring options.

darksi08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R CW
Mugen did research on switching the adaptive dampers away from ZF and found nothing is comparable for adaptive units. The oem who does the ADS module only works as a 1st and 2nd tier supplier its not a reflashable unit. Thats the most logical angle for aftermarket is to create a programmable box for custom damper voltages since thats basically all it is.

If I had more time thats one of the first things Id work on. It would be a gold mine for those who want to customize damper rates to match different spring options.
So, basically something like this:

https://www.dscsport.com/product/v2-controller-ford-focus-rs/

flaviodiniz

First Name
Flavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R
So, guys... After reading the whole thread and studying it for a while, here are my two cents.

1) IMHO, @TheTopher couldn't be more right. The Type S module fixes my only complaint and makes the FL5 almost perfect overall. By overall, I mean a car that can be daily driven without too many worries (my case) and still keep the fun factor of driving something fun and unique. Sure, as people said before, don't expect comfort mode to feel like a Rolls Royce. It's not overly soft at all. But my oh my, it really makes sense to call Comfort Mode by its name now.

2) In more spirited drives, the +R mode is not bad. Not bad at all. It's plenty usable, just not extremely overly dumped to the point that you can only use it on the smoothest track. It also makes the car's behavior slightly more predictable (or linear?) under high-speed cornering.

3) I think the DE5 ADS shortages are gone. I ordered mine from myacuraparts.com last Tuesday and got it delivered yesterday morning.

Of course, some people may disagree with me. But for 200ish bucks, it's really worth the shot. And If you don't like it, as some people said before, it's a 10~15min job to swap it if you ever need to.

Long story short, I'm delighted with it.

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Civic Si

I would *love* that. I donā€™t want to buy coilovers just to fix an issue that shouldnā€™t have been there to begin with. Too expensive and shouldnā€™t be necessary on a car with the pedigree of Type Rs.

I know Iā€™m being repetitive here but I see the possibility of some confusion over terminology, etc. The ā€˜punishing ride,ā€™ to me, is good. The ā€˜harshā€™ ride is fantastic. Firmness is fantastic. The *only* issue is during at-limit cornering on any surface that requires dampening: undulations, bumpy surface, broken pavement, etc. It bounces like a pogo stick. Itā€™s here and *only* in this very rare circumstance (on the street, anyway) that thereā€™s an issue for me.

At-limit dampening? Is that a thing? šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

Shingo Shoji

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 - Championship White
So, guys... After reading the whole thread and studying it for a while, here are my two cents.

1) IMHO, @TheTopher couldn't be more right. The Type S module fixes my only complaint and makes the FL5 almost perfect overall. By overall, I mean a car that can be daily driven without too many worries (my case) and still keep the fun factor of driving something fun and unique. Sure, as people said before, don't expect comfort mode to feel like a Rolls Royce. It's not overly soft at all. But my oh my, it really makes sense to call Comfort Mode by its name now.

2) In more spirited drives, the +R mode is not bad. Not bad at all. It's plenty usable, just not extremely overly dumped to the point that you can only use it on the smoothest track. It also makes the car's behavior slightly more predictable (or linear?) under high-speed cornering.

3) I think the DE5 ADS shortages are gone. I ordered mine from myacuraparts.com last Tuesday and got it delivered yesterday morning.

Of course, some people may disagree with me. But for 200ish bucks, it's really worth the shot. And If you don't like it, as some people said before, it's a 10~15min job to swap it if you ever need to.

Long story short, I'm delighted with it.
This was great to hear.

I've just found out my postage forwarding service finally received the unit. After paying a fortune in delivery costs to Australia ($120 AUD) it's finally on it's way. I can't wait to try it out. Surely this will be rare in Australia given the amazing pain in the butt it was to order. Acura really don't want their parts going outside the US for some reason.

For anyone that's done this is it really necessary to disconnect the battery?

VLJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R Boost Blue Pearl
This was great to hear.

I've just found out my postage forwarding service finally received the unit. After paying a fortune in delivery costs to Australia ($120 AUD) it's finally on it's way. I can't wait to try it out. Surely this will be rare in Australia given the amazing pain in the butt it was to order. Acura really don't want their parts going outside the US for some reason.

For anyone that's done this is it really necessary to disconnect the battery?
It is absolutely not necessary to disconnect the battery. I didn't disconnect mine, and literally no adjustments needed to be made to anything. All the same functions still behave as usual, using the same buttons. Nothing changes, except for the stiffness/bounciness of the suspension damping.
Sponsored