• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Backup plans - what's yours?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
The 2 series made some leaps in luxury, can't quite say for toyota. Honestly Toyota has been lagged in pretty much everything and seems to exist on past reputation alone. Their infotainment is years behind everyone, they still use old out dated powertrains and transmissions and their interior build quality is acceptable at best.
This.

GRC and GRY have the worst, most prehistoric looking infotainment I’ve seen in any modern car. Beyond atrocious. That awful tablet looks like something that was manufactured in early 2000’s.

The one in the CTR looks worlds better - something that will actually age well.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
Anybody have experience with the ZF8 auto in the new Supra? Wife loves the 3.0, but isn't a manual fan... Beginning to question how bad I want the R if Im going to be within striking distance of the 3.0 Supra price-wise (a car with a MUCH higher tuning ceiling). I know RoidRage and several others have BMW experience.
Like I’ve said in previous posts. They should win a Nobel prize for the ZF8 it’s that good. It’s 98% as good as the DSG imo.

POPNTEC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FL5 CTR
I know what you mean. Warning, its a bit of a story:

I've been thirsting over the Supra since 2017. Was on the forums for 5 years, met all these people, followed everything, sold my BRZ to make space for it and kind of positioned myself to be able to purchase one within 2 years of release. I drove it for the first time last year. It was amazing, but a part of me was like "umm, that's it?"

Great car, but didn't feel raw or connected. Atleast not how I imagined a Toyota sports car to be. I felt I would be bored of it after a month of driving to work. I was quite bummed cause I was waiting for this thing for 6 years!

I test drove a FK8 a few weeks later not expecting anything. Instantly, loved it. It was precise, raw, connected, and overall felt special. Whatever I expected the Supra to be as actually a FWD civic Type R lol. What a surprise. So now I'm here.
I totally understand how you felt. I think the thing with the Supra, M car’s, AMG’s etc. is that they need to have there lags stretched to be enjoyed properly. So unless your able to get in a decent amount of track time the cars going to lose its best attributes quickly.

The Type R along with cars like the GR86 and Miata can be driven and fully enjoyed at much lower speeds during your daily commute.

I’ve wanted an M3 since the beginning of time but ever since owning my 340i MPerformance, I realized that they are just to much car to be enjoyed on the Street. You tap the gas and your doing double the speed limit and when you corner at speed you can feel the weight and size compared to the Type R.

The 340i Mperformance is a Canada only limited edition car. Here is a quick video on it.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
^^^ I felt the same way after owning a modern M car. Nothing like the e36 in terms of rawness, responsiveness, and agility.

The last modern BMW that was worth pursuing with lower power and the characteristics of older M cars was the e90 320si. Most folks didn’t even know it exists.

RyanCTR

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TLX
The FL5 is my back up. I'm waiting for my A91-MT Supra to get off QC Hold and should be here anytime soon. Still on the edge of what to buy, honestly leaning toward the supra but who knows I might just change my mind since I grew up a Honda fanboy and still am.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
^^^ I felt the same way after owning a modern M car. Nothing like the e36 in terms of rawness, responsiveness, and agility.

The last modern BMW that was worth pursuing with lower power and the characteristics of older M cars was the e90 320si. Most folks didn’t even know it exists.

I remember wanting the 320si, but don't think it was ever sold in the US. My '95 325i was perfect - that 189 hp version of the 2.5L six was so awesome, loved to rev, sounded great, and the car had so much feel. If BMW made the exact same car today brand new, I'd buy one.

I don't know how BMW managed to make a 3.0L inline six turbo boring, kudos for that.

Reactions: 007

Randomguy7890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, R32 GTR
The FL5 is my back up. I'm waiting for my A91-MT Supra to get off QC Hold and should be here anytime soon. Still on the edge of what to buy, honestly leaning toward the supra but who knows I might just change my mind since I grew up a Honda fanboy and still am.
Haha I'm on the opposite of you, grew up a Toyota fanboy. The manual Supra is my backup. Had an allocation for an A91, we had agreed on MSRP+5k, then they changed it to 20k so I had to pullout. I'm 95% sure I'll get a manual Supra before an FL5 but would prefer an FL5.

RyanCTR

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TLX
Haha I'm on the opposite of you, grew up a Toyota fanboy. The manual Supra is my backup. Had an allocation for an A91, we had agreed on MSRP+5k, then they changed it to 20k so I had to pullout. I'm 95% sure I'll get a manual Supra before an FL5 but would prefer an FL5.
I hope the Dealer doesn't throw a curve ball once its cleared from QC Hold. We did verbally agree on MSRP+5K when I put my deposit down. I'm 90% certain I'll be going with the Supra....

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Wow that is awful lol. Like... Hilariously awful. Who would Green light that.

tuhroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK8, 13 ISF, 95 K20 EG8, 98 ITR, 95 EG8, 23 FL5
Best thing on that car is the color…man that’s horrible.

citrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
It looks like a cardboard body kit you'd see on some troll at Stancewars every year.