• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Can 3-seat rear bench from Civic hatchback be fitted to FL5?

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I also bought the rear vent kit so my kids don't die from the heat on warm days! Yup, I'm a good parent!
Oh? Where does that go, in the center console? I won't do that, cloth seats are basically like free heat anyway.

I had to laugh last night watching Toyota's GR Corolla vs. CTR compare video. Lots of funny stuff in there. But they really grabbed onto the 4 seater thing.

Honda should have made it a 5 seater and given it a center seat occupant sensor that when triggered electronically limits the maximum speed to 143mph. Have a little digital icon pop up to warn about it
Sponsored

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Oh? Where does that go, in the center console? I won't do that, cloth seats are basically like free heat anyway.

I had to laugh last night watching Toyota's GR Corolla vs. CTR compare video. Lots of funny stuff in there. But they really grabbed onto the 4 seater thing.

Honda should have made it a 5 seater and given it a center seat occupant sensor that when triggered electronically limits the maximum speed to 143mph. Have a little digital icon pop up to warn about it
You can't fit anyone in the back of a GR. I mean they made the Morizo edition for a reason.😆

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
You can't fit anyone in the back of a GR. I mean they made the Morizo edition for a reason.😆
The funny thing is, two large adults can sit in the back (with both feet on the floor) comfortably. Getting into and out of that position is gymnastics, but once there it's OK.

For little kids it's bad news. Even though they're small it's still hard to climb in and out. Then, if their feet don't make it down to the floor they end up fouling in the little gap between the front and back seat. Then the front seat occupants need to move up further than for an adult. This caused some major pains for me.

https://mikstoreph.com/products/civ...1&_sid=790496ec4&_ss=r&variant=42560499351802

Having done this myself, I can honestly the install process was very easy. It's absolutely worth the time and money.
Oh wow, I'll bookmark that one, thanks

AtmosFearik

First Name
FV
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 Type R, Gen 1 Audi R8 V10 Manual, E46 M3 6MT

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yup. That's the kit I got. Not sure why Honda deleted it from the FL5. Did they not expect passengers to sit in the rear that would want a little cold(or warm) air? If it's for weight savings, it's negligible.
I doubt it's a weight issue--in all likelihood, Honda determined that their competitors in the segment don't offer rear vents, so Honda didn't need to do it either.

It's more justifiable in the FL5, but harder to explain in the DE5.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I'm actually doing this conversion. I just received all the parts from a donor 2022 CIvic Hatchback that was totaled. The local parts recycler gave me everything(bottom cushion, R&L seatbacks, all the buckles and anchors for $225 shipped!
The process looks pretty straightforward. I could care less about insurance. The car was built for 5 passengers, and 90% of the time, it would only be 4 passengers or less, so don't get your panties in a bunch! 😆
I also bought the rear vent kit so my kids don't die from the heat on warm days! Yup, I'm a good parent!
11th Gen Honda Civic Can 3-seat rear bench from Civic hatchback be fitted to FL5? 1711123146965-8x

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
I get it, but if it serves a purpose then I’m not sure he really cares what they look like. That back seat will be covered with Child seats and booster seats anyway lol if the rear seat came in a matching red like the front i doubt people would even consider doing this, but they are just black so it’s not that much of a difference.
I have 3 young kids but I would't try to do this personally. There isn't a 3rd set of LATCH anchors or tethers to accommodate a third row if you are using car seats/boosters that require them still. Also, if the car is spec'd to have 4 seats, you add a 3rd (plus seatbelts), and you get into an accident, your insurance company can deny your claim or any pay out related to injuries of the persons in that "Extra" seat.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I have 3 young kids but I would't try to do this personally. There isn't a 3rd set of LATCH anchors or tethers to accommodate a third row if you are using car seats/boosters that require them still. Also, if the car is spec'd to have 4 seats, you add a 3rd (plus seatbelts), and you get into an accident, your insurance company can deny your claim or any pay out related to injuries of the persons in that "Extra" seat.
I hear you. This has been debated in this thread and elsewhere. The people moving forward with the conversion either don't believe the potential liability piece or they don't care.

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
My car will be a 2-seater until I am happy with the smell of my new-to-me seats. Frigging air freshener smell really hit its stride once the car was out in the sun.

Will my insurance company give me trouble if I get in an accident and my roadside emergency kit flies and hits me in the face since there was no rear seat to stop it?

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Your health insurance would cover you. Usually auto insurance only gives a few k for occupants.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Since insurance keeps coming up. What if you are injured and weren't wearing a seat belt. Would they deny your claim?

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
Maybe @RUNN1N can chime in. From anyone thread it appears they are in the insurance business

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Also, if the car is spec'd to have 4 seats, you add a 3rd (plus seatbelts), and you get into an accident, your insurance company can deny your claim or any pay out related to injuries of the persons in that "Extra" seat.
Ok this isn't necessarily true--you should review your policy, specifically under the Exclusions section. You're suggesting there's some type of coverage exclusion for modified vehicles, but I have yet to see one on a standard auto policy. An auto policy provides an agreed to amount of coverage (various limits, property damage, bodily injury, uninsured/underinsured, etc) for a specific auto during the time period listed on the policy unless there's an exclusion which eliminates coverage. Racing, for example, is a common exclusion on most policies. Business use of a vehicle (Uber, Amazon delivery, etc) can also trigger a coverage exclusion. It depen

Assuming you don't have an applicable coverage exclusion, the auto policy provides indemnity and/or defense up to the limits listed on the policy. If you have an agent handling your policies, they should tell you the same thing. Ask them specifically if adding a 3rd rear seat would create a coverage issue, and get the answer in writing if it makes you feel more comfortable. Make sure your limits are set to a point where you're comfortable.

If an accident takes place and you're carrying passengers in the vehicle, there's always a risk they will file suit against you for their injuries, alleging they arose out of your negligence. Could adding a 3rd seat expose you to an additional angle for a plaintiff attorney to allege you were negligent? Sure. I doubt it'll be the only angle. As @Clark_Kent insinuated, adding a 3rd rear seat opens you to the potential for additional liability. It's true. Speeding is another thing that exposes you to extra liability.

I'm not an engineer, but I understand the FL5 has been sold as a 4-passenger vehicle in light of load rating concerns. It wouldn't be difficult to overload the car with 4 large adults, but I doubt 3 kids in car seats will even come close. That said, they're your kids, your passengers. Do what you're comfortable with. There are a lot of risk decisions to be made out there.
Sponsored