• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Differences USDM / EDM / JDM

Brickstrom

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R FL5, Honda S2000
I was looking for a thread like this but I cant seem to find one. Mostly before I bought the car myself, but now also because I’m a nerd. I also want to know and confirm what is true and not regarding the things I have picked up. So please feel free to correct or add information!

Engine:

USDM
  • 235 Kw / 315 Bhp or 319 Ps (USDM ECU is calibrated for 91 AKI = 95 RON)
EDM/JDM
  • 242 Kw / 324 Bhp or 329 Ps (some places quote 325 Bhp – 330 Ps, mostly for the JDM), (EDM ECU is calibrated for 98 RON = 93 AKI.)

Both seem to have the same torque figure arriving at the same rpm (310 lb ft / 420 Nm).

The Australian market gets the quoted 235 Kw / 315 Bhp or 319 Ps as the USDM, although its RHD like the JDM.

Interior:

EDM/JDM
  • Suede like steering wheel trim and shift boot
  • Rear seat black but in same suede material as front seats
USDM
  • Leather steering wheel and shift boot
  • Rear seat black in cloth fabric

Exterior:

EDM
  • Tinted glass mandatory option (sadly, here I would have liked not to have it ticket)
  • Boot / trunk mat – EDM Version Shorter coverage TypeR script same colour as mat
  • Only standard Colour is Sonic Grey Pearl, others are extra
USDM
  • Optional Forged Alloy Wheels (according to Honda EU its because these are not TüV certified yet so not sold in EU)
  • Boot / trunk mat – Us version covers more of the trunk all the way up to the seatback with holes for the tether brackets, coloured TypeR- script (White with red R)
  • Rally Red And Crystal black pearl are available as standard Colours, other are extra
JDM
  • Optional Flame Red (same colour code as Rally Red) door mirror covers

Optional extras:

EDM/JDM
  • auto dimming rear view mirror standard equipment
  • Parking sensors standard equipment
  • Automatic folding mirrors standard equipment
USDM
  • BOSE 12 speaker system (EDM 10 speaker non branded, BOSE no option)
USDM/JDM/EDM
  • Illumination pack
  • Carbon Pack

Please feel free to add or subtract, or correct any wrong information and build this list to a “final” version
Sponsored

Last edited:

kobi2002

First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5 Civic type r
Folding mirrors and auto windshield wipers for edm and jdm markets. No option on usdm market.

kobi2002

First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5 Civic type r
I also want to say that jdm markets have headlight leveling as well. Not sure.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type-S
Some of these make sense (regulation driven, etc.), but others...

The cloth back seat for NA is such a garbage choice. My 07 Si, w. 200k miles and 17 years of wear, has a nicer back seat than the FL5 (and it's black suede w. red stitching... like EU/JDM FL5s, lol). 😭😭

kobi2002

First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5 Civic type r

The cloth back seat for NA is such a garbage choice. My 07 Si, w. 200k miles and 17 years of wear, has a nicer back seat than the FL5 (and it's black suede w. red stitching... like EU/JDM FL5s, lol). 😭😭
I just did a power folding mirror install on my fl5. Sucks I have to pay later for a feature that should have been there in the First place.

OP
OP
Brickstrom

Brickstrom

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I can’t compare it as I haven’t seen the cloths, but its definitely one of the more “stranger” choices, and I cant speak for the cloth option, but the suede definitely feels a bit special and ties the rear together nicely with the rest even if it’s not Colour matched. Would definitly been my biggest gripe if i was buying a USDM

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
I was looking for a thread like this but I cant seem to find one. Mostly before I bought the car myself, but now also because I’m a nerd. I also want to know and confirm what is true and not regarding the things I have picked up. So please feel free to correct or add information!

Engine:

USDM
  • 235 Kw / 315 Bhp or 319 Ps
EDM/JDM
  • 242 Kw / 324 Bhp or 329 Ps (some places quote 325 Bhp – 330 Ps, mostly for the JDM)

Both seem to have the same torque figure arriving at the same rpm (310 lb ft / 420 Nm). This does my head in somewhat, as I don’t seem to find the reason for this. 91/93 RON is equivalent to 95/98 Octane in Europe, so there should be no difference regarding rating for power density of fuel. Is it tuning for emissions, tax reasons or other?
Regarding the power output difference:
  • The USDM ECU is calibrated for 91 AKI = 95 RON.
  • The EDM ECU is calibrated for 98 RON = 93 AKI.
The cloth back seat for NA is such a garbage choice.
As an EDM-spec owner I'll say that although the suede-effect fabric looks great, it is really hard to care for. Hard to keep clean and looking good. Traps dirt and has to be "combed" to look uniform. The USDM spec privileges practicality. Not just in the rear seat cover choice but in the steering wheel as well.

Specifications differences are driven by a combination of factors. Regulations, market positioning, expected use, etc.

For example, given how small European parking spots tend to be, it makes sense for EDM cars to be equipped with parking sensors. In the US spots are huge, so no real need for them.

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Thank you for the thread!

So...we get the longer rear storage covers in the US? I feel so much better.

rui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG6, AP1, FL5
So...we get the longer rear storage covers in the US? I feel so much better.
Assuming MSRP you can be out the door for roughly $50K.

I paid MSRP for my car and it was around $80K. Does that make you feel better? 😉

US buyers get an arguably lower spec, but a lot of value for money compared to many other markets.

OP
OP
Brickstrom

Brickstrom

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming MSRP you can be out the door for roughly $50K.

I paid MSRP for my car and it was around $80K. Does that make you feel better? 😉

US buyers get an arguably lower spec, but a lot of value for money compared to many other markets.
Interesting, whereabouts?

Did the math and converted that at the time of purchase i count $58K. Also got like 5% discount and a couple of extras thrown in (mats, locking nuts etc).

This is Sweden, Europe. Even if we don't have dealer markups they are scares. We only got 9 FL5s for the whole country 2023, and now maybe 10-15 more for 2024

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I can’t compare it as I haven’t seen the cloths, but its definitely one of the more “stranger” choices, and I cant speak for the cloth option, but the suede definitely feels a bit special and ties the rear together nicely with the rest even if it’s not Colour matched. Would definitly been my biggest gripe if i was buying a USDM
I agree the choice of rear seat fabric on the USDM car is an interesting one. I had the conversion done last year. I'm very happy with it. It does tie the front together quite nicely. I'm also glad the rear seats are not red since it would be red overload on the interior.
Sponsored