• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

UPDATE: HEL Oil Cooler USDM & JDM Now Available!

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
That is usually the norm when adding oil coolers. But the extra capacity with the added cooling should really help with the oil temps. I have an idea of what I want to do to mine, but its a little extreme since in Florida its too hot. But will go piece by piece to make sure I don’t over cool the engine.
The Florida humidity is very tricky! Here in NC we experience tropical humidity with temps in the mid 90's, but I would stray away from racing in that kind of heat. You, on the other hand, have no choice. I can't imagine how that must feel at your local tracks!
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
The Florida humidity is very tricky! Here in NC we experience tropical humidity with temps in the mid 90's, but I would stray away from racing in that kind of heat. You, on the other hand, have no choice. I can't imagine how that must feel at your local tracks!
Yeah once I get Hondata I will play with the software and see what I can change. But for now my thinking is oil cooler with bigger radiator and if needed a lower opening temp thermostat.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Yeah once I get Hondata I will play with the software and see what I can change. But for now my thinking is oil cooler with bigger radiator and if needed a lower opening temp thermostat.
May want to consider water meth or e85 as well!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
May want to consider water meth or e85 as well!
E85 is something I’m considering for sure, meth I’m not a big fan. It usually causes more issues than problem it resolves. I have many customers with issues and other non customers that I have had to trouble shoot systems all the time. Failed pumps, blown up engines due to the car being tunned to account for the meth and when the system fails it runs lean.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
So just a quick update! I spoke with Conner over at HEL this morning, and I should be receiving a second bracket in the next few days to modify and return to them. I'll be sure to take my time with the modifications to ensure that all of us USDM folks get a quality bracket that will work with our cars. Drilling into the crash bar will be required, but at the end of the day...that's not really a big deal. I also expressed to Conner that the longer of the two -10AN hoses has the potential to rub against the frame where it cuts through into the engine bay, and he is going to send me a few different samples of weather stripping to attach to the frame, which will ultimately be included in the kit. So far I haven't had any issues with that because I've wrapped that section of hose with a thick piece of DEI heat shielding.

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
So just a quick update! I spoke with Conner over at HEL this morning, and I should be receiving a second bracket in the next few days to modify and return to them. I'll be sure to take my time with the modifications to ensure that all of us USDM folks get a quality bracket that will work with our cars. Drilling into the crash bar will be required, but at the end of the day...that's not really a big deal. I also expressed to Conner that the longer of the two -10AN hoses has the potential to rub against the frame where it cuts through into the engine bay, and he is going to send me a few different samples of weather stripping to attach to the frame, which will ultimately be included in the kit. So far I haven't had any issues with that because I've wrapped that section of hose with a thick piece of DEI heat shielding.
Thank you for taking the time to do all this! I have the HEL oil cooler kit sitting in the floor awaiting the first oil change, but I think I will wait a little longer to install now.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thank you for taking the time to do all this! I have the HEL oil cooler kit sitting in the floor awaiting the first oil change, but I think I will wait a little longer to install now.
Good plan. I'm sure once I send everything back they'll then be able to start production on the new brackets and get them out to the affected customers.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Quick update! HEL Performance have sent me a new bracket! I've modified it, and I'm awaiting shipping instructions from them to get it back to them! Video below!

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Quick update guys! HEL have received back the bracket that I modified for them last week! I've been monitoring the hoses and found that the short hose has been chaffing against a sharp bracket on the a/c compressor. I've informed the guys over at HEL and requested the short hose 3 inches longer, which I believe will completely solve this issue!

Last edited:

hammeredsole

First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey Elite, F150 Tremor, CRV Hybrid Sport-L
The real solution here is to engineer a hardline set that securely fastens and routes piping free from interference. I have seen a few engine fires from oil coolers, and I'm very hesitant to use anything that isn't an OEM style fit. HKS makes this kit for the GR Yaris... something like this would get me to pay the premium price.

OIL COOLER KIT:GR YARIS (hks-power.co.jp)

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The real solution here is to engineer a hardline set that securely fastens and routes piping free from interference. I have seen a few engine fires from oil coolers, and I'm very hesitant to use anything that isn't an OEM style fit. HKS makes this kit for the GR Yaris... something like this would get me to pay the premium price.

OIL COOLER KIT:GR YARIS (hks-power.co.jp)
That's an awesome kit from HKS. I had the HKS kit on my FK8, but it did not have hardlines. No issues with it ever though!

TunerR1

First Name
Ge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota Tacoma, 2023 Civic Type R
No Updates on this? I want to order this but waiting for the fixes_ I suppose there is no ETA at the moment?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
No Updates on this? I want to order this but waiting for the fixes_ I suppose there is no ETA at the moment?
Let me check in with the guys at HEL, and I'll get back to you.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Last edited: