• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

UPDATE: HEL Oil Cooler USDM & JDM Now Available!

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've got an upcoming track event in 4 weeks, and my HEL oil cooler finally arrived! I installed it today, but to my dismay there are key differences between the FL5's we receive here in the states, and the ones that are built for countries overseas!. Despite this I was able to create a work-a-round and get it installed! I was in contact with Mike and Conner at HEL during the install, and shared my findings during the process so that they could develop a kit for us folks in the USA. This is the only external oil cooler currently available for the FL5. I purchased it from Dream Automotive. Nobody was aware until today that this kit wouldn't bolt right up to a USDM Type R. I consider myself lucky to be the guinea pig! Here's the install video below!

Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I've got an upcoming track event in 4 weeks, and my HEL oil cooler finally arrived! I installed it today, but to my dismay there are key differences between the FL5's we receive here in the states, and the ones that are built for countries overseas!. Despite this I was able to create a work-a-round and get it installed! I was in contact with Mike and Conner at HEL during the install, and shared my findings during the process so that they could develop a kit for us folks in the USA. This is the only external oil cooler currently available for the FL5. I purchased it from Dream Automotive. Nobody was aware until today that this kit wouldn't bolt right up to a USDM Type R. I consider myself lucky to be the guinea pig! Here's the install video below!

Great job dude! Hoping they can make the necessary adjustments for the USDM version.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Great job dude! Hoping they can make the necessary adjustments for the USDM version.
Update! The gents over at HEL have reached out to me, and will be sending me a bracket for me to match the drill holes that I had to make in mine. I'll then send that back to them, and they'll make the necessary modifications to the kit for all of us here in the United States! They're also going to make a modification to one of the hose routing brackets (specifically the one that bolts to the crash bar). I'll ask when I hear back from them, but I think a piece of weatherstrip that could clamp to the inside of the frame where the long hose goes through would be absolutely necessary to include with the kit to prevent the hose from rubbing against the metal frame.

Last edited:

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Update! The gents over at HEL have reached out to me, and will be sending me a bracket for me to match the drill holes that I had to make in mine. I'll then send that back to them, and they'll make the necessary modifications to the kit for all of us here in the United States! They're also going to make a modification to one of the house routing brackets (specifically the one that bolts to the crash bar). I'll ask when I hear back from them, but I think a piece of weatherstrip that could clamp to the inside of the frame where the long hose goes through would be absolutely necessary to include with the kit to prevent the hose from rubbing against the metal frame.
You really are on top of this! Thank you for looking out for the community. This is what makes a car forum great.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Not familiar with these designs but does having the oil cooler in front of the radiator block some air flow to the radiator?

Im guessing it doesn't but thats great this is out here. Thats awesome you were able to still get it installed and work around it. Had no idea we had different crash bars

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Not familiar with these designs but does having the oil cooler in front of the radiator block some air flow to the radiator?

Im guessing it doesn't but thats great this is out here. Thats awesome you were able to still get it installed and work around it. Had no idea we had different crash bars
It certainly will block a bit of airflow, but HEL have track tested this and did not experience any coolant temperature issues, and the best part is that they never saw oil temps over 230 degrees after installing the oil cooler. This means you can push your car harder for longer without having to worry about doing engine damage.

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R (Championship White)
Great video - thank you for taking the time to do it.

I’m sitting tight to possibly do this once the PRL Intercooler and Charge Pipes are both in stock.

I know we all love cooler oil, but this really looked like a serious PITA.

1. Can you share some data before and after with the average delta T improvement?

2. Any thoughts on why Honda didn’t think this was necessary in the first place?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Great video - thank you for taking the time to do it.

I’m sitting tight to possibly do this once the PRL Intercooler and Charge Pipes are both in stock.

I know we all love cooler oil, but this really looked like a serious PITA.

1. Can you share some data before and after with the average delta T improvement?

2. Any thoughts on why Honda didn’t think this was necessary in the first place?
I'll have to refer to HEL to get data to answer your first question. The log R oil temps are just a guess. Our friends over at Dream reported a 30c improvement in oil temperature. The cooler is thermostatic and does not open until 197 fahrenheit.

Not sure why Honda wouldn't add one, it certainly couldn't hurt. I think it's important to remember the overheating issues in the FK8. The FK8 was delivered to consumers with those exact issues as a "finished product". While I applaud Honda on turning out a tremendous product with the FL5 there certainly are improvements that should be made for consumers that have a big track focus.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
It certainly will block a bit of airflow, but HEL have track tested this and did not experience any coolant temperature issues, and the best part is that they never saw oil temps over 230 degrees after installing the oil cooler. This means you can push your car harder for longer without having to worry about doing engine damage.
Cool. In your video you mentioned that you were preparing your car for the track event in 4 weeks. What else did you plan on doing to your car before then?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm swapping out the brake lines for stainless steel, installing girodisc rear rotors and the AP/Essex 6piston BBK in the front, Paragon R7's up front and R5's at the back, Bleeding in Motul RBF660, and PRL downpipe. Also, Volk TE37's wrapped with Nitto NT01 tires.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

It will affect airflow just a bit, but not enough to affect anything.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Nothing crazy to report back yet. You can hear the oil pump at lower rpm's, but it's subtle and I kind of like it. No leaks, and oil pressure looks great!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You lose some when you pull the filter. In total I added 1 quart.
That is usually the norm when adding oil coolers. But the extra capacity with the added cooling should really help with the oil temps. I have an idea of what I want to do to mine, but its a little extreme since in Florida its too hot. But will go piece by piece to make sure I don’t over cool the engine.
Sponsored