• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

UPDATE: HEL Oil Cooler USDM & JDM Now Available!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
@PointByPatrol I know you have the track version of the radiator. How bad is it to use this on a “family car”? And what am I missing if I go for the street version?
Sponsored

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
@PointByPatrol I know you have the track version of the radiator. How bad is it to use this on a “family car”? And what am I missing if I go for the street version?
The track version has a higher coolant capacity. I've had no temperature issues with street driving. I had the same on my FK8 and had zero issues around town. The street version is basically the factory radiator, but in aluminum with a slightly higher capacity. The track version is much higher capacity in comparison.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
If you do not track the car then its not needed for a street driven vehicle unless you go like in back roads or canyon carving for extended periods of time.

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Yeah I agree with what others have said, its total overkill for a street car. Even if you take the car to the track you may not need it.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
If you do not track the car then its not needed for a street driven vehicle unless you go like in back roads or canyon carving for extended periods of time.
I do plan on tracking the car. But I’m taking about 1-4 track days a year. That’s why I’m curious about which radiator to use.
The one time I tracked my FK8 in July, it went into limp mode and threw codes on the second day after the second session. I gave up running the third and fourth sessions because I didn’t know what was going on. I’d like to avoid that scenario again.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I do plan on tracking the car. But I’m taking about 1-4 track days a year. That’s why I’m curious about which radiator to use.
The one time I tracked my FK8 in July, it went into limp mode and threw codes on the second day after the second session. I gave up running the third and fourth sessions because I didn’t know what was going on. I’d like to avoid that scenario again.
Yeah then a street version radiator might be best for you.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Just posted this in another thread, but the image belongs here too. This is the data sheet for HEL Performances testing with and without an oil cooler. If you'll notice, after 2 minutes (without oil cooler) the oil temperature is at the maximum that the vehicle reaches at 9 minutes (with oil cooler)

11th Gen Honda Civic UPDATE: HEL Oil Cooler USDM & JDM Now Available! fl5-cooler-temps

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
With group buy's taking place, and several other members purchasing the HEL Oil Cooler Kit, It's come to my attention that the instructions really haven't been updated, and they're still in black and white. VCD Racing recently contacted me for some pointers during their installation process. I'm available to assist should any of you run into any snags. You can obviously reach me here if need be, but I'm also on Instagram if you'd prefer to message me (I respond faster) @PointByPatrol.

The drill size that I used was 17/64th's. You can go one size smaller.

You do not use the half inch spacers. (those are for steel crash bars)

I added additional padding to the long hose where it goes through the back of the fender well. The frame through that area has a sharp edge, and I didn't want to run into problems down the road. I used DEI velcro heat wrap and zip tied it to the hose.

You will need to purchase zip ties that look like this (roughly 8-10 inches long, and you'll only need one) This is to secure the short hose away from the drive belt, by securing it around the hot side intercooler pipe. You then use a normal zip tie and zip tie the hose through the whole in the special zip tie pictured below:

I've also attached two photos of the short hose zip tied to the intercooler pipe to show how I did it.

11th Gen Honda Civic UPDATE: HEL Oil Cooler USDM & JDM Now Available! 3146t-KfkfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_

11th Gen Honda Civic UPDATE: HEL Oil Cooler USDM & JDM Now Available! PXL_20240119_134129364.MP

11th Gen Honda Civic UPDATE: HEL Oil Cooler USDM & JDM Now Available! PXL_20240119_134106752

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Thanks for the update. Will keep this in mind when I get mine installed.

As for VCD racing, ask them if they’ve considered changing their name to VCD hard parked. Their videos always reference some part being put on and will see how it helps on the track. Not a single video of them with track results or even track video. I’m guessing that white FL5 just sits in the garage to get parts out on for views and revenue. Whack!
Sponsored