• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

ECU Tuning options - Hondata / Ktuner / Other?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Perhaps @Hondata would like to offer their input?
I called on Doug sometime ago to comment. He's too busy working on cracking this ECU to hop onto the forums to provide an update. I'll leave him to it. ;)
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Something to consider for those debating an FL5 vs. an FK8 who plan on tuning it.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Hondata has not worked with this before and this is unique to the 11th gen.
What do you mean? The bosch ECU in the fk8 is factory locked too. It took hondata 6-7mo to release the fk8 flashpro.

I wouldn't be worried, though. It takes time.

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
What do you mean? The bosch ECU in the fk8 is factory locked too. It took hondata 6-7mo to release the fk8 flashpro.

I wouldn't be worried, though. It takes time.
What I am saying is, if it was the same ECU as the FK8, it would already be unlocked... Just because Bosch makes the ecu for both does not mean they are the same. There's always additional software updates and features with newer generation ECU's. As well as new things to learn when you reverse engineer them.

In the end I think we are saying the same thing and agree that it takes time.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Something to consider for those debating an FL5 vs. an FK8 who plan on tuning it.
I agree that if there proves to be major tuning roadblocks after time has passed it will make the FK8 more attractive to those that wish to tune. Time will tell.

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
Since I have some time at lunch and want to put things into perspective.

2017 FK8 deliveries started June/July 2017
Hondata released their FK8 Flashpro March 29th 2018.
Took 9 months. Give them time, Im sure many companies are working on it too. The car has barely been out 5 months at this point.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TLX Type-S / 2023 Civic Type-R / 2024 HRV EXL
I agree that if there proves to be major tuning roadblocks after time has passed it will make the FK8 more attractive to those that wish to tune. Time will tell.
If it comes to that… and companies are not able to crack the ecu…. Looks like MOTEC is in my future :hmm:

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
If it comes to that… and companies are not able to crack the ecu…. Looks like MOTEC is in my future :hmm:
đź’°

I'm very familiar with the pay to play concept but I hope for all of us that it does not come to that. :)

DKwen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
my friend just share a link with me, a Japanese Tunning shop alientech "unlock" it somehow by using “tools” from North Europe, I really cannot read Japanese that well, so no idea how true it is.
they say same ECU but mapping is significantly different, and they run the stock HP first, and tried to ultilize the FK8 data to create a stage 1 and 2 tune, once again, no idea if thats true or not
https://alientech-japan.com/cat-blog/5770/

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
my friend just share a link with me, a Japanese Tunning shop alientech "unlock" it somehow by using “tools” from North Europe, I really cannot read Japanese that well, so no idea how true it is.
they say same ECU but mapping is significantly different, and they run the stock HP first, and tried to ultilize the FK8 data to create a stage 1 and 2 tune, once again, no idea if thats true or not
https://alientech-japan.com/cat-blog/5770/
I've done a lot of homework on this. I've learned that the JDM ECUs do NOT have the same type of security in place as those outside of the Japanese market. Lucky them!

However, I can also share that a shop in New Zealand seems to have gained access (bypassing any security hurdles) to an ECU from their market and it is likely that we will have good news soon in the US market.

drac

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, Legacy GT, 996C4S, Elise, AMV8V, A6 3.0BiTdi
I've done a lot of homework on this. I've learned that the JDM ECUs do NOT have the same type of security in place as those outside of the Japanese market. Lucky them!

However, I can also share that a shop in New Zealand seems to have gained access (bypassing any security hurdles) to an ECU from their market and it is likely that we will have good news soon in the US market.

I didn't post earlier as I assumed everyone would have seen. well known tuning shop in Auckland. Not the best vid and they had difficulty tuning for power higher up the rev band. However it does open the door of hope for many.

DKwen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRZ
just wondering if you have the part number for FL5 ECU? My friend said the pic below is FL5's ECU in Japan. It is still same ECU unit with different programming and the part number change significantly from the FK8's

11th Gen Honda Civic ECU Tuning options - Hondata / Ktuner / Other? possible FL5 ECU