• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First FL5 oil change mileage?

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R #21399 (sold). 2023 Type-R #912
I'll never understand why you wouldn't just follow the maintenance minder. These are modern cars. If you keep up with their recommended scheduled maintenance and an issue occurs as a result, it would be covered. I guess if you want to waste money and do oil changes every 3k miles be my guest lol
Sponsored

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
I changed mine around 4,500 and it was black. I should have done it sooner.
Color is not an indicator of how "used" an oil is.

The only way you would know to change it sooner is to have a used oil analysis (UOA).

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fit, 2024 Integra Type S, 2004 S2000

From your link, it could be normal:

2. Dark Brown/Black

When the engine oil gets dark brown or black, it could be normal, or there could be something wrong. Most likely, it’s time to change the oil. As the dirt builds up in the oil, it gets darker and thicker.

However, if the engine oil is darker but thin, it could be normal. Depending on what additives you are using, the color could be slightly darkened. If the oil isn’t clinging to the dipstick, chances are everything is fine and you can continue driving.

In fact, when I had a 05 6-6 Accord, the oil would get dark super fast. Changed the oil every 10k km with synthetic, and had the car for 220k km without problem. The opposite on my S2000: even after 5k km, the oil is still so clear that it is hard to see on the dipstick!

ELIAS64

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Type R
I'll never understand why you wouldn't just follow the maintenance minder. These are modern cars. If you keep up with their recommended scheduled maintenance and an issue occurs as a result, it would be covered. I guess if you want to waste money and do oil changes every 3k miles be my guest lol
Post your vin on here with a note stating that you only followed the maintenance minder. Makes it easier for people to avoid buying your used vehicles. :thumbsup:

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I've done the same, changed the oil by myself around 1k and didn't reset the MM so that my next oil change i can just take into the dealership for a freebie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen
Post your vin on here with a note stating that you only followed the maintenance minder. Makes it easier for people to avoid buying your used vehicles. :thumbsup:
Let's pose the opposite of your query.
For a car that hasn't been tuned, gone FBO, or regularly tracked, what's your reasoning for NOT following the maintenance minder? I hope you have some actual data to back up your argument.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Let's pose the opposite of your query.
For a car that hasn't been tuned, gone FBO, or regularly tracked, what's your reasoning for NOT following the maintenance minder? I hope you have some actual data to back up your argument.
I'm at 7500 miles and the maintenance minder says 40% left. Do you really take yours to 10k miles between changes? It surprised me how dirty it was at 4,500 and looked like results at 10k. A hot turbod car id have concerns only changing it every 10k miles.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen
I'm at 7500 miles and the maintenance minder says 40% left. Do you really take yours to 10k miles between changes? It surprised me how dirty it was at 4,500 and looked like results at 10k. A hot turbod car id have concerns only changing it every 10k miles.
My maintenance minder has always been in the 7-9k range, but that's besides the point. I sent the first 4 or 5 oil changes of my 10th gen to blackstone (all changed at about 15% on my minder) and all blackstone suggested was that I could extend the mileage I was getting out of my oil even further.

My point is why make these decisions off of color, smell, or a hunch? Get some actual data if you want to adjust your maintenance schedule from what the manufacturer suggests. Blackstone charges $30 per test which is a drop in the bucket compared to what most around here spend on their cars. That's "cheap insurance" in my book as opposed to doing oil changes at 3k, because you have some actual data to work off of instead of a vacuum. If you don't like Blackstone, i'm sure there are other oil test options.

Last edited:

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
My maintenance minder has always been in the 7-9k range, but that's besides the point. I sent my first 4 or 5 oil changes of my 10th gen to blackstone (all changed at about 15% on my minder) and all blackstone suggested was that I could extend the mileage I was getting out of my oil even further, if I wanted.

My point is why make these decisions off of color, smell, or a hunch? Get some actual data if you want to adjust your maintenance schedule off of what the manufacturer suggests. Blackstone charges $30 per test which is a drop in the bucket compared to what most around here spend on their cars. That's "cheap insurance" in my book. If you don't like Blackstone, i'm sure there are other oil test options.
Amen.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen
I’m surprised some people have like 7k miles without the maintenance minder screaming. I’m at 1,400 miles with only 30% oil life left. I’ll have to change it by 2,000 miles at this rate. Was hoping the minder would wait until like 4,000 or 5,000 miles, but it definitely won’t.
IMG_8721.png
How long have you had your car? The MM takes time into factor and will usually suggest an oil change independent of mileage at about a year.

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
This might not be apples to apples but I have owned 3 Audis that had 2 liter turbos. The recommended oil change interval was 10k miles. They did not have an algorithm based on driving habits like Honda does - just straight milage. Numerous guys on the Audi forum would send oil samples to Blackstone and the 10k mile reports were always that the oil was performing well and could have gone longer. I don't remember the exact milage on these but if I recall some were approaching 100k. My 3 daily driver Audis have gone 145K with numerous track days (traded it in), 135k (totaled when someone pulled out in front of me), and my current one is coming up on 130K. I followed the 10k interval and had zero issues.