• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First FL5 oil change mileage?

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
My next oil change will be the first "free" one as part of the new car maintenance plan. It will actually be my 3rd oil change as my dealership requires the MM to be @ 15% or lower. My MM didn't fall to 15% until 10,200 miles. There is no way I would wait 10k between OCIs. I change the oil at around 4k miles.
Sponsored

t1javelin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type R, 2023 accord sport-L
There is no special break in oil. It’s a myth that spread like wildfire.

There’s a high molybdenum content in the factory oil due to the moly used in assembly and manufacture of the engine leeches into the oil. The moly content goes down after first oil change, so people just assumed it was a special oil. It is not. It’s just the extra moly from assembly in the first fill.

There’s tons of threads on Bob Is The Oil Guy on this topic. Google “Honda oil moly bob oil guy” to read some of them.
I just read through the Bobistheoilguy thread and am now a bit more confused. While there is no special break in oil per Honda and what you said above, they do actually recommend not changing the factory fill before the maintenance minder says to.

"Honda's Owner Link states the following: "Why should I wait to change the oil the first time? Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
I just read through the Bobistheoilguy thread and am now a bit more confused. While there is no special break in oil per Honda and what you said above, they do actually recommend not changing the factory fill before the maintenance minder says to.

"Honda's Owner Link states the following: "Why should I wait to change the oil the first time? Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."
Doesn't sound like a myth.

"Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated...." sounds exactly like it was filled with a special break in oil.

t1javelin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't sound like a myth.

"Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated...." sounds exactly like it was filled with a special break in oil.
Agree with you after reading through the Bob oil guy thread, but still confusing because apparently that quote was from 2006 when Honda/Acura used thicker factory fill oils. I can find no mention of break in oil in the manual, other than to change oil when the maintenance minder says to. But this would be for all oil changes not just the first one. My FL5 is at 1200 miles and 90% oil life, so (not sure if it is linear) extrapolating out that would put the first oil change around 10K miles! I've never heard of recommending/leaving non synthetic oil in an engine that many miles. Especially for a performance car like the Type R.

Honda really should clarify more Type R items in the manual. For instance the under hood diagram in the manual refers to "2.0 L engine models without Auto Idle Stop" ?? "Why not just Type R" ?

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
There’s probably non-Type-R’s in other regions with manual trans and without Auto Idle Stop.

Correct, the maintenance minder tells you when to change your oil based on more factors than simply the milage.

To your point though, the NA manual is missing some info, like break-in mileage. It is spelled out as 1000 kms in the EU owner’s manual and that’s what folks here have recommended.

Regardless, don’t overthink it. Do the break-in milage then change the oil as much as you want / need.

t1javelin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s probably non-Type-R’s in other regions with manual trans and without Auto Idle Stop.

Correct, the maintenance minder tells you when to change your oil based on more factors than simply the milage.

To your point though, the NA manual is missing some info, like break-in mileage. It is spelled out as 1000 kms in the EU owner’s manual and that’s what folks here have recommended.

Regardless, don’t overthink it. Do the break-in milage then change the oil as much as you want / need.
Agreed, thanks.

rBobby

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I did my first oil change over the weekend at 2,200 miles. I had to use an impact driver to loosen one of the rear screws for the undertray. Never had an issue with them on previous Hondas. I also rotated and cleaned my wheels while waiting for the oil to drain.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
Under normal operating conditions - which is the default for the vast majority of FL5 owners - I will replace the engine oil and engine oil filter according to the Maintenance Minder. When the Maintenance Minder indicates I need an oil change, I'll take the car in for an oil change - end of story. There isn't much to think about. If you're doing anything other than what the manufacturer recommends you're wasting time, oil, and money.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Changed mine for the 1st time last weekend around 2500 miles. Couple thoughts:
  • I hate the front jack point, it is so far back that it is basically useless. Even rolling the car up on some wood blocks didn't allow me enough clearance to get my low profile jack to reach. Maybe I need an "ultra low" profile floor jack :rolleyes:.
  • I have some race ramps but they are not quite shallow enough to roll up. I ended up jacking the car up on the side and placing the ramp partially under the tire and then repeated on the other side. Obviously with the rear wheels chocked. I was able to drive up the last half of the ramps no issue.
  • Alternatively, I could use my Quickjacks but they take some time to set up. Considering how much time it took me to get the car in the air I think I may consider this next time.
  • Annoying that there is no access port to drain oil or remove the oil filter in the under tray but at least the undertray is easy to remove.
  • Glad I installed a Fumoto valve, it will make future oil changes much cleaner. I wasn't thinking about the angle of the drain hole and how the car was elevated in the front. Ended up shooting a stream of oil about 1.5 feet away from where my oil pan was sitting, fun times.
  • Oil filter position is fine. Way better than my wife's Odyssey that has the oil filter positioned so that oil pukes all over the subframe when you change it.
I am making it sound like it was a lot harder that it actually was but was just surprised at how many little surprises I came across.

Johnnymazz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I did my first oil change over the weekend at 2,200 miles. I had to use an impact driver to loosen one of the rear screws for the undertray. Never had an issue with them on previous Hondas. I also rotated and cleaned my wheels while waiting for the oil to drain.
Thats a common issue on all the Hondas. I keep a bag of those screws in my toolbox at work. Put some grease on the threads when you reinstall them.

rBobby

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I have a bag of them now. Also, put anti-seize them.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CW CTR R-12374
Zombie-ing this thread. I just learned about the Service Pass thing. Do you have to use the app to book your appointment or can you just call the dealer to schedule it when the minder come up with low oil life? I think I will follow the minder for the first change but back to my normal 5k interval for the future ones. But maybe I just won't reset that.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Zombie-ing this thread. I just learned about the Service Pass thing. Do you have to use the app to book your appointment or can you just call the dealer to schedule it when the minder come up with low oil life? I think I will follow the minder for the first change but back to my normal 5k interval for the future ones. But maybe I just won't reset that.
I have not reset mine and I’m on my second oil change. Still has not come up and I have even been to the track. Sitting shy of 7k miles. Changed at 1k and then at 6k.

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
Don’t need to use the app to make an appointment. Can just call.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
I changed mine around 4,500 and it was black. I should have done it sooner.
Sponsored