• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First FL5 oil change mileage?

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R #21399 (sold). 2023 Type-R #912
Post your vin on here with a note stating that you only followed the maintenance minder. Makes it easier for people to avoid buying your used vehicles. :thumbsup:
ends in 000410.
Sponsored

MidlifeCTR

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Championship White Civic Type R
I had my first change at 4,800k miles and 60% oil life on the maintenance minder. Did not feel great about going any farther on the break in oil, so I hope it did it's thing.

Also did the 5,000k maintenance while I was there, but Honda would not comp the oil change unless at 15% oil life. Definitely not going 9 or 10k for a first oil change for a $45k car.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I had my first change at 4,800k miles and 60% oil life on the maintenance minder. Did not feel great about going any farther on the break in oil, so I hope it did it's thing.

Also did the 5,000k maintenance while I was there, but Honda would not comp the oil change unless at 15% oil life. Definitely not going 9 or 10k for a first oil change for a $45k car.
It did its job, it really does not take long to work and wear everything properly.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
It all depends how you drive the car and how hard you are on the throttle, short trips, cold starts etc but if you stay out of boost for the most part and are doing lots of highway miles, I wouldn't worry about going off the mm.

If you track the car, drive aggressively, or do a lot of short trips I would change much earlier, around 3k. It's cheap insurance and agree with others that if you just splurged on a new 50k car, you can afford changing the oil more often than the mm suggests.

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Finally got the A1 light/15% oil life at 4,885 miles. Car is scheduled for next Saturday.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The A1 Maintenance Minder came on last week at 651 miles and I had the oil changed this week. The Carbon fiber wing will also be replaced under warranty due to a clear coat issue.

11th Gen Honda Civic First FL5 oil change mileage? 1000020002

11th Gen Honda Civic First FL5 oil change mileage? Screenshot_20240216_152942_HondaLink

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
All of us who purchased ~one year ago should have the maintenance minder going off for oil now. I just ordered Pennzoil Ultra Plat and a Fram Ultra filter. Not utilizing the free oil change because my dealership is known to be careless with vehicles during the oil changes, so I’d rather just do it myself. Have a Fumoto valve to put on, too.
IMG_9104.png
I do not have this app! Where do I get it?

sam3r_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
so i read through this entire thread, and i think the question i wanna ask is that... is there harm in changing oil before MM ... maybe not at the lower end say at 900 miles flush out the fill oil, but let's say 3 or 4k and oil life says anywhere between 80-60% .... is there harm in taking out the fill oil ? if we forget about waste or cost or manufacturer recommendation (most likely influenced by environmental regulations) for a second

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
.... is there harm in taking out the fill oil ?
I would ask what do you hope to gain? The oil life percentage is an algorithm or rough estimate based on driving conditions and does not perform any actual analysis on the oil itself.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
so i read through this entire thread, and i think the question i wanna ask is that... is there harm in changing oil before MM ... maybe not at the lower end say at 900 miles flush out the fill oil, but let's say 3 or 4k and oil life says anywhere between 80-60% .... is there harm in taking out the fill oil ? if we forget about waste or cost or manufacturer recommendation (most likely influenced by environmental regulations) for a second
No harm in changing it, just do what you are comfortable with. Some people like to keep if for a bit others like to change it at an earlier date. I changes mine at around 1k miles and 0 issues so far and I’m currently close to 10k miles.

sam3r_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
I would ask what do you hope to gain? The oil life percentage is an algorithm or rough estimate based on driving conditions and does not perform any actual analysis on the oil itself.
I guess what I am saying is if I keep the fill oil until the MM says to replace oil, I am letting the additives do its job by working through the engine (if that means 10k miles for some or 17k miles for others) based on driving conditions and the algorithm. by taking it out early i am losing out on those benefits

sam3r_11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
No harm in changing it, just do what you are comfortable with. Some people like to keep if for a bit others like to change it at an earlier date. I changes mine at around 1k miles and 0 issues so far and I’m currently close to 10k miles.
yeah issues arising from oil changes don't typically show until well over 100k miles or during an engine tear down ... but i am just thinking am i losing out on any benefits from the fill oil that is meant to be there longer than usual to work through... but after that change it frequently every 3-5k

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI, BRZ, FL5
IMO I would echo what @Jester04 stated and do whatever makes you feel comfortable instead of delving into the minutaie of oil change intervals. As long as the fill level is correct with an oil that meets manufacturers specs and it's not sludge-city in there, you're good to go.
Sponsored