• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First FL5 oil change mileage?

Mimzie2763

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT, 2023 FL5
Just went to Honda dealer to get an oil change. I did not have time to do it myself today. They told me they can’t change the oil till around 3500 miles. I currently have 900 miles, I tried to plead with them but they were certain that it need to around that mileage for the first oil change.

Am I wrong?
Sponsored

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I think if you’re talking about the free Honda service pass maintenance , it might be correct. My dealer includes 5 free oil and tire rotations on top of the service pass. I’m bringing mine in at between 1k and 1500 miles. Paying for Amsoil myself even though it’s free if you use Honda’s oil.
just pay for it yourself if they won’t. It’s not expensive. You won’t hurt anything changing the oil at 1k 😉

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I think if you’re talking about the free Honda service pass maintenance , it might be correct. My dealer includes 5 free oil and tire rotations on top of the service pass. I’m bringing mine in at between 1k and 1500 miles. Paying for Amsoil myself even though it’s free if you use Honda’s oil.
just pay for it yourself if they won’t. It’s not expensive. You won’t hurt anything changing the oil at 1k 😉
Out of curiosity why so soon?

I've seen in Japan that people have changed their trans fluid already.

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Out of curiosity why so soon?

I've seen in Japan that people have changed their trans fluid already.
Just been doing the same thing for over 50 years now. Force of habit! Good or bad ! It doesn’t hurt anything so why not ? Lol
And as stated, my dealer gives me 5 for free so why not. And they will even give me Mobile 1. Thinking about dropping in a K and N Filter at the same time. For $50 bucks, it can’t Hurt anything except throwing out $50 bucks 😉
Oil only, not tranny. No need. That’s ridiculous

Last edited:

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Just went to Honda dealer to get an oil change. I did not have time to do it myself today. They told me they can’t change the oil till around 3500 miles. I currently have 900 miles, I tried to plead with them but they were certain that it need to around that mileage for the first oil change.

Am I wrong?
I don't know about Honda yet, but the free service from has a certain mileage window from my experience. You can't be too soon or too late from the suggested intervals.

In your case, you are too early. That's why your dealer say no.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR

Am I wrong?

900 miles is too early for an oil change. The oil placed in the car at the factory has a special blend in for break in. Changing it too early WILL not work in your favor. Best to wait til the maintenance minder gets to at least 40%

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
900 miles is too early for an oil change. The oil placed in the car at the factory has a special blend in for break in. Changing it too early WILL not work in your favor. Best to wait til the maintenance minder gets to at least 40%
Approximately how many miles is about 40%. If you only put a few thousand miles per year on , how many months then if you don’t drive it much. I have 600 miles on the car and it still shows the oil at 100%
thank you

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I don't know about Honda yet, but the free service from has a certain mileage window from my experience. You can't be too soon or too late from the suggested intervals.

In your case, you are too early. That's why your dealer say no.
For a few years, Honda vehicles have had what they call a maintenance minder. Honda will pay for the maintenance when the car requests it within the first two years or 24,000 miles.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Approximately how many miles is about 40%. If you only put a few thousand miles per year on , how many months then if you don’t drive it much. I have 600 miles on the car and it still shows the oil at 100%
thank you

There’s an internal algorithm that does the calculation based on how you drive, how often you drive and heat cycles. It will vary for everybody.

Don’t let it go more than a year without an oil change if the maintenance minder doesn’t tell you.

Last edited:

captainscott60

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
There’s an internal algorithm that does the calculation based on how you drive, how often you drive and heat cycles. It will vary for everybody.

Don’t let it go more than a year without an oil change if the maintenance minded doesn’t tell you.
Thank You

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
That is absolutely correct as @AspecR says. Leave the original break-in oil in the car for awhile. The original oil has additives that basically continue to polish and fortify the cylinders beyond the factory machining and polishing. Consider it the final step in the engine polishing process. Anywhere from 3k-5k miles is probably good, but don’t keep it in there beyond about a year is good advice. After that, change your car’s oil every day if you like. 😄 Why don’t the dealership shops explain this stuff? It’s pretty important.

Dallman

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pilot, 1971 Triumph TR6, 2023 CTR
I change my oil by the mantenance from the start. I have changed my oil 4 times. 10,118, 20,331, 27,416, and 34,104. This was on my 2019 CTR. I have oil analysis done and all wear metals are normal. My ridgeline had 160,000 miles same thing by the reminder never longer than a year apart. I'll do the same with the FL5. I will change to Mobil 1 after the free 2 years. My oil analysis is done by Blackstone Labs.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
One thing I’m not sure how well the maintenance minder can account for, if at all, is climate. For instance, if one lives in a very humid climate, but doesn’t drive much, the maintenance minder will probably say that the oil is good to go for a LONG time. In reality, that’s not likely to be the true. The oil has surely taken on a lot of moisture (and air) over time, which will break the oil down. I do believe the engineers at Honda have done a great job with the maintenance minder system (as long as the vehicle is driven regularly), but I think it’s important to account for some things on our own. In other words, the maintenance minder isn’t a fail safe system. Get under the hood and check things out now and then.

LeoA86

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
For a few years, Honda vehicles have had what they call a maintenance minder. Honda will pay for the maintenance when the car requests it within the first two years or 24,000 miles.
More than a few years. Be around since 2006. 17 years.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Just replaced oil and filter today. Also used Tower Guard metal clean/protectant on all the easy to get to aluminum parts (bottom of engine and trans case, control arms, underbody shield, steering knuckles, etc.) to help resist the white oxidation that occurs over time.

Tools needed are, large flat blade screwdriver and large Phillip’s screwdriver, 17mm for oil plug.

11th Gen Honda Civic First FL5 oil change mileage? 8E538A60-6E7A-4915-A1BD-1B715EE07FD3

11th Gen Honda Civic First FL5 oil change mileage? 823EB562-F71D-44E4-83B0-8F9C03C00574
Sponsored