• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I suspect we’ll see a softer version in a couple years like the S2000. Especially if an LE is coming.
Doubtful. They modified the S2000 in response to complaints to boost sales. The CR was a final send off akin to the FK8 LE. FL5’s have no problem selling as is - there is no reason this soften the car. Of course everyone might not prefer it that way, but the majority are happy.
Sponsored

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Not trolling. I own an fl5, I have 550 miles on it. Bought it from sames Honda in laredo texas if y’all need more proof lol.

I understand what a performance car should feel like. I understand what stiffness is supposed to feel like. Most cars with adaptive shocks can dial in the stiffness and then give you great comfort when you need it. The fl5 has issues with that.

it’s too stiff, noisy, high strung to be a comfortable daily, in my opinion of course.

just for context I’ve owned a gt350, Alfa quad, mk7 gti, currently have an rs6 and an lc500 and an ap1.

daily driving just seems like an afterthought with the fl5. How many actually track the car? And I know it’s probably amazing on a back road but I’m talking about just daily driving it.
I'll probably be one of few to agree with you on the suspension. Although, I expected it after seeing all of the reviews while waiting on the car. Mine is a weekend/track day toy though so the stiff ride doesn't bother me. I don't think I'd hate driving it everyday but if there was another mode softer than comfort I'd likely keep it there all the time on the street.

Hkc

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5
No one here is accusing you! We believe you have fl5.

Again, it sounds like you should've bought Camry for your style of daily. They look alike too!
you’re missing the point. Most people daily the fl5 as it’s their only car. I didn’t go out and try and buy a daily driver, I have other cars. What I’m saying is, where the fl5 excels for track use and hard back road driving, it fails pretty miserably in itd daily driver duties.

again, all my opinion. Which was prompted by the op discussing his opinion on the way the car drives.

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
Funny, I’m hearing positive feedback from U.K. owners RE daily driving capabilities, I feel like our roads can be pretty rubbish, maybe yours are even worse. Last review I watched stated it’s better at dealing with imperfections compared to the Golf R (back to back test).

Having owned AMG and M cars with dynamic suspension, I’m definitely used to a firm ride.

Type R will be an occasional daily for me…. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP

M!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, GR Yaris, FJ Cruiser, Jimny, NA and ND Miata
I was worried that the FL5 would be too stiff for daily use, but I was really quite surprised at how nicely it rides in Comfort mode even on terrible roads. My wife has no issues with the ride comfort, what a relief haha

JAMSXR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63
We’ve got a family SUV and FL5. To me, it seems like a great daily if you’re an enthusiast and want a manual.

I feel like the whole purpose of this car is the handle the school run followed by a track day.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I plan to DD my CTR and rarely will track it. I'm thinking of switching to 18s with more sidewall to help with the ride, maybe an option to consider if you like the car otherwise

Hkc

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5
most people I know that have an FL5 do not daily it. I’m now curious, I wonder what the split is. Most people seem to have multiple cars, most just an FL5. I don’t think anyone buys the FL5 to be a grocery getter daily driver. You might have some of the younger demographic (early-mid 20s) that have an FL5 and daily it because they can’t afford another vehicle, but from an anecdotal standpoint, it seems that most people who own the FL5 own multiple vehicles.
You’re probably right but I think the car isn’t advertised as some hardcore track weapon, it’s supposed to be civil as well. Lots of cars can do double duty, and this isn’t like an exige or something similar.

like how hard was it for Honda to control nvh more? My 2015 mk7 was miles more refined than this fl5. It doesn’t make sense to me. The excuse is weight savings and all that, but that’s for the track. Maybe I’m completely wrong and Honda intended this car to live most of its life on track. But I’ve seen reviewers mention the mx5 and gr Corolla etc have better nvh refinement

example being, I’d love to drive the fl5 cross country. It should be perfect for that with its space and interior ergonomics. But without changing tires/rim size and adding dynamat etc I would hate driving it for hours on end, and that’s just the nvh, not even considering the harsh suspension.

Rs6 (mine is not air suspension) can go from butter to stiff as frick, obviously a type r is not an rs6 nor is it trying to be, but I’m just not sure why they couldn’t make the car just a tad bit more comfortable and refined given the asking price.

Village911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #839
Type R is literally a track car that has abilities to do daily. 50/50 I would say.
Regular trims of civics however are well suited for everyday use and long drives that may cause fatigue.

Maybe its just me but fl5 suits me perfectly for my style of daily (light, stiff and fun) and is ready for some fun time on the weekends 😄 I would hate to see my drive get softer than where it is right now.

Lhlaci

First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2, FL5
Not trolling. I own an fl5, I have 550 miles on it. Bought it from sames Honda in laredo texas if y’all need more proof lol.

I understand what a performance car should feel like. I understand what stiffness is supposed to feel like. Most cars with adaptive shocks can dial in the stiffness and then give you great comfort when you need it. The fl5 has issues with that.

it’s too stiff, noisy, high strung to be a comfortable daily, in my opinion of course.

just for context I’ve owned a gt350, Alfa quad, mk7 gti, currently have an rs6 and an lc500 and an ap1.

daily driving just seems like an afterthought with the fl5. How many actually track the car? And I know it’s probably amazing on a back road but I’m talking about just daily driving it.
This is absolutely individual how comfortable you feel a daily driver should be. It is your feeling -nobody can argue that. I think the FL5 is a limousine in comfort mode compared to my FN2 Type R. That was stiff and noisy - my wife hated to travel in that. She loves the FL5 though.

You have/had an impressive fleet.
I am more curious how do you compare the FL5 to the other cars from FUN perspectve. Which one do you find the most fun to drive?

I enjoy just to simply sit and drive comfortably in my FL. I have the same " OMG what a nice car to drive" every day. Not because of its performance. Just for its pure perfection in many sense as a car and as an engineering masterpiece.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
understood! Yeah, it’s solely anecdotal, but I don’t know many who daily this car. For pure DD and comfort, a lower trim level of a Civic is required. Figured those who bought the type r trim were the “I already have a daily, I want an out of the box track ready car”.
From what I gather from the forums, the majority daily drive this car. There are a handful who have this as a secondary or tertiary means of transportation; however, the draw is the performance matched with utility and buyers are leaning into that.

Your final statement is peculiar to me. As much as Honda tries to market the CTR as this track bred creation and as much as the community wants to believe it, this vehicle simply isn't an "out of the box track ready car." Can you run this car at Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, or VIR in stock trim? Of course you can but it will likely be a disappointing and lousy experience after a couple sessions. If you have to swap tires, wheels, upgrade the cooling system, upgrade fluids, pads, and add camber plates, it's not "track ready".

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
@Hkc it sounds like the Integra Type S would be a much better fit for what you were looking for. You still might be able to get solid trade in value in the future if you decide to go that route. This is no doubt a stiffer ride than most other cars but still fairly compliant in Comfort mode.

Expecting it to go from stiff to comfortable without some compromise in vehicle dynamics is probably not possible at this price point. Maybe when the Type S comes out we'll get lucky and can just swap the ADS module to get a softer daily driver feel.

Last edited:

superporpoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2023 RS3
If I buy this car it will be to daily. To me the cool thing about the CTR is that it can be an only car; if I could have two cars I'd get a Miata or GR86 and something practical. That said, all of this feedback is interesting to me — I'm annoyed that the FL5 seems to have taken a step back in comfort vs. the FK8.

I didn't love driving the normal Integra, but maybe the Type S will be the ticket.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
It's my daily and it's perfectly suitable for one. Taking delivery in the middle of winter has not been ideal with the factory summer tires though.

I'm borrowing a car while the temps are low so that I don't damage the tires driving in 20° weather. Back to back the Type R is much more comfortable than the 2009 Acura RDX I'm driving in nearly every way. I'd argue that the suspension is just as compliant in comfort mode but it's the 19" wheels that make it so jarring. I'm excited to go to 18" wheels and 35 series tires as I think it will make a big difference.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Totally agree with most of your points, but according to this thread, 80% of the people posting have multiple cars, which would lead me to deduce that the FL5 is NOT daily driven. It’s my third car in my fleet, and I won’t daily it either.

https://www.civicxi.com/forum/threa...t-else-did-you-drive.51614/page-4#post-853549

The track stuff- put it this way. The Subaru STI is labeled as a rally car, but you need many mods to make it competent on the dirt (stock tires can’t even work on the dirt). The Type R is labeled a track car, and it CAN be tracked without modification. Even Honda markets it as such on their main page, also the inclusion of the LoggR system. To optimize track time, all the modifications you listed would absolutely help.

I just don’t think the majority bought this car to daily. Some will have, definitely. But the majority bought it for a fun car and already have a DD. A lower trim level Civic would be perfect for a DD. This car, not so much.

Not going to clog the thread with our back and forth, but we can respectfully disagree.
I daily the FL1 and save the FL5 for nights and weekends. The comfort mode does soften up a little more after 1k miles or so. Personal preference is right, I enjoy the ride so much and at the same time Im almost worn out after driving it because of how dialed in it is to all my senses. An absolute gem.
Sponsored