• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Installing Front Tow Hook on FL5?

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Many thanks and sorry about the broken pin! Does the tow hook provided in our trunks screw in somewhere inside that hole?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
The hooks on the bottom were never meant to be used for towing. They’re tie down points used for transportation.

The car should be on a flatbed under normal usage. I’ve seen tow trucks lift by the front wheels but need to be careful the straps don’t touch the fender.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
The hooks on the bottom were never meant to be used for towing. They’re tie down points used for transportation.

The car should be on a flatbed under normal usage. I’ve seen tow trucks lift by the front wheels but need to be careful the straps don’t touch the fender.
Good info, and another item needing clarification in the Owner’s Manual.

OP
OP

Cdsbblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5
Thanks again for the heads up ayau. To really put this to bed, I pulled the honda tech service manual on this issue. The two points referred to in the pics above actually are front tow hooks, much like the rear hook. There are supposed to be other "tie down slots" on the front and rear sides with rubber plugs intended for tie down on a flat bed truck (I have not looked for them - but see attached).

The manual cautions that the front hooks and rear hook are only meant for "straight flat ground towing," not at an angle. I assume, but am not sure, that this means that the car should not be elevated or pulled through even modest turns by those hooks, except to pull the car onto a flatbed. As ayau suggested, It seems that pulling onto a flatbed is really the intended use. You could maybe pull it along on a track in a real pinch but I would not.

Again as ayau said, it appear that you should use a flatbed if possible, or front wheel lift if not (be sure to release parking brake). If at all possible, I would avoid using the front tow "hooks" because front end damage is almost certain and I'm not sure how you could really get a pull along hook real secure in there on track.

The owner's manual encourages flat bed use.

Attachments

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
The manual cautions that the front hooks and rear hook are only meant for "straight flat ground towing," not at an angle. I assume, but am not sure, that this means that the car should not be elevated or pulled through even modest turns by those hooks, except to pull the car onto a flatbed.
I would avoid using that front hook if possible. The fk8 has the same warning in the manual. I hired a flatbed to get my fk8 in the dealership on my behalf. When pulling the car up, the steel cable damaged the front lip:

11th Gen Honda Civic Installing Front Tow Hook on FL5? frontli

As to tire pressure, I've noticed that quite a few fellas inflate the rear tires less than the front. I assumed for more compliance or because of VSA constantly applying brakes.
Doing that should result in considerable understeer. The agile handling assist masks that from you, until you get close to the limit. I usually run 2psi (hot) more in the rear than in the front. Experiment and see what works for you!

If it's any help, in my limited track experience, and this was with the FK8 not my FL5 - reducing VSA/TC in Comfort/Sport/Individual is similar calibration to what VSA/TC *ON* is like in +R mode. So just going to +R in the first place reduces the intervention of the systems a bit. Then you can reduce VSA/TC further when in +R, or do the 10-sec hold or whatever and it's almost as Off as it'll get, save for doing the pedal dance.
The FK8 service manual has a nice explanation on how the VSA works. I suppose it shouldn't be that different for the FL5. The only thing the pedal dance does beyond the "VSA fully off" (5 sec hold in R+) is disable the agile handling assist, which IMO is nice to have. The short press (VSA OFF) only disables the TCS at low speed.

11th Gen Honda Civic Installing Front Tow Hook on FL5? Screenshot from 2023-03-27 20-22-07

EvanMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 CTR #01113, '17 CTR #02019 (sold), '22 Sienna
I would avoid using that front hook if possible. The fk8 has the same warning in the manual. I hired a flatbed to get my fk8 in the dealership on my behalf. When pulling the car up, the steel cable damaged the front lip:

frontlip.jpg

Doing that should result in considerable understeer. The agile handling assist masks that from you, until you get close to the limit. I usually run 2psi (hot) more in the rear than in the front. Experiment and see what works for you!

The FK8 service manual has a nice explanation on how the VSA works. I suppose it shouldn't be that different for the FL5. The only thing the pedal dance does beyond the "VSA fully off" (5 sec hold in R+) is disable the agile handling assist, which IMO is nice to have. The short press (VSA OFF) only disables the TCS at low speed.

Screenshot from 2023-03-27 20-22-07.png
AWESOME! Hadn’t seen that. Agile Handling Assist makes performance sense, but I went through two sets of OEM rear pads in the time it took the original OEM front pads to get down to about 30/35% left - daily driving only and a couple mild AutoX events.

I read I think in the FL5 documentation somewhere that agile handling assist now acts on the front brakes in the FL5.

Also anyone ever see a similar VSA table for the FL5?

RallyeDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Type R
Hi from the UK! On the topic of disabling VSA/TCS, I had hoped that in individual mode I could fully disable these including for the reason mentioned above about brake pad wear. Also, I cannot stand that ridiculous fake engine sound in Type R mode; I'd also prefer the steering in comfort and the suspension adjustable depending on track conditions hence the individual mode but with the VSA/TCS disabled. I only just heard about the pedal dance, which sounds like it might help me out here?

Also, that fake engine sound through the audio..... Arrgh!

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Hi from the UK! On the topic of disabling VSA/TCS, I had hoped that in individual mode I could fully disable these including for the reason mentioned above about brake pad wear. Also, I cannot stand that ridiculous fake engine sound in Type R mode; I'd also prefer the steering in comfort and the suspension adjustable depending on track conditions hence the individual mode but with the VSA/TCS disabled. I only just heard about the pedal dance, which sounds like it might help me out here?

Also, that fake engine sound through the audio..... Arrgh!
Hey! I own a FK8 so not everything I say might be true for the FL5. You can "disable" the VSA in any mode by entering the VSA maintenance mode (we call it the pedal dance). It's not a full disable like pulling a fuse because the ABS fortunately still works. The problem is the pedal dance was not made for driving (thus the awkward procedure) so in practice we lose 2 things: agile handling assist and the +R suspension.

So if you are tracking in comfort or sport suspension mode, the pedal dance makes sense. The FL5 seems to have less static stability than the FK8, so you can probably play with your tire pressures and have great rotation even without the agile handling assist.

My fk8 also has the fake engine sound. I hate it. It feels like exhaust drone in long drives and gives me a headache. In the FK8 at least you can deactivate it permanently by disconnecting it. I haven't done so, because I'm still on stock exhaust and I NEED the fake engine noise on the track. Wearing a helmet and with the windows down, I can't hear my little honda sing...

Now, about pad wear, my FK8 has close to 1400km on the track. I have replaced the front pads 4 times, yet I'm still on factory rear pads (now they are done). And I have only once tracked with VSA off. In +R mode, the VSA gives you a LOT of freedom before acting. The last 2 times the VSA kicked in I was about to spin out, first because of oil on the track, second because of cold rear tires on my outlap. So, give it a try, the nannies might not be as bad as you expect. And keep us posted!

Welcome to the forum!
Sponsored