• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Is anyone backpedaling from Type R to an Si?

KidIcarus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FXT
I've considered it, but I have two little ones, so having a backseat option is nice. I may have to revisit the 86 though since it has at least some semblance of a back seat.
Absolutely hear you on that, I've got one forward facing and one rear facing. I dont think there's any way I could load a rear facing car seat in a two door, I even considered just buying a rotating car seat lol.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
If you can find it for MSRP or very close then do it. I wouldn't pay markup on a new Si though.

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
anyone looking to get an Si. Seems like stealerships are marking them up while the integra is going for msrp. Teg is a better buy with a much better stereo, seats, gauges and parking sensors.
Crazy that I bought my FC3 brand new for under 24k 5 years ago. The Si was a steal at that price.

CivicR38

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 SGP Type R #4360
anyone looking to get an Si. Seems like stealerships are marking them up while the integra is going for msrp. Teg is a better buy with a much better stereo, seats, gauges and parking sensors.
Intregra is 10k more than the SI for the nicely equiped version

TMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
The way I'd put it, is the Type R is for the absolute fanatic. Like the person who has been following every Type R info leak and spy shot for the past three years. The person who has a Honda logo coffee mug on their desk right now. The person who already has their track wheels and tire setup on order.

The Si is for the person who loves the Type R but also has other hobbies, or a family to support, or really just doesn't live that Type R lifestyle every moment. The best thing about the Si is that it has all the practicality and economy of a regular Civic, but with a nice dose of fun on top. It is a fun choice and a sensible choice at the same time.
Funny that you should say that. I bought a 10th gen Type R, and wouldn't consider myself a fanatic. It's the first Honda I've owned and I don't have plans to buy another (nor plans not to buy another). My car is completely standard and I'm happy with my purchase. It still feels 'special' to drive 3 years later and is way more practical than my previous car (a Holden Commodore sedan - similar size to an Accord).

Ignoring the fact that the Si is not offered in Australia, I wouldn't consider an Si since it only comes as a sedan. The appeal of the Type R was that it can be used as a daily. It rides well. It can take adult passengers. I can fold down the rear seats and carry large items because it's a hatchback. The Type R compromises:
-The front passenger seat does not recline flat with the rear seats if you wanted to carry really long/large items.
-The 20" wheels are susceptible to damage from potholes (haven't damaged mine yet). 11th gen Type R will be less susceptible with 19" wheels.
-The trunk floor is not as low as Civic hatchbacks that don't have a center-exit/sports exhaust. If an Si hatch existed it would have this problem too.
-Missing the center seatbelt in the rear, but that's a non issue for me. If you had a family, you can still carry two kids in car seats in the rear - it has isofix, the rear seat is otherwise the same as the base model civic apart from the missing center belt.
-You have to be mindful of low ceilings when opening the hatch otherwise the rear wing will crash into it lol. I can't open my hatch fully when my garage door is up.

Another thing to consider is that I think the long term depreciation on a Type R will be less than an Si or any other Civic trim level. Depreciation can be a significant running cost of the car, although if you get ripped off by the dealer on the purchase price then that doesn't help - the dealers in Australia are not nearly as shady as in NA. I paid RRP and no more. I plan to keep my car for at least 10 years, so I can see it still being worth something then, while an Si or some other trim level will probably be fairly worthless at the same age.

If however Honda had offered a MT 1.5L turbo civic hatch in Australia, at $15-20k less, I'd probably have bought that instead.

If all I wanted was a 'weekend car', I'd probably consider cars like the Miata/MX5, Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ, perhaps a BMW with an M badge.

Last edited:

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
how much more tho...only a few grand?
My dealership starts $33595 but I’ve sold them for as low as $31k other South Florida dealerships are still charging $7k-$10k over do Si’s and they don’t offer any of the benefits we offer.

alhounos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si - Sold, Tesla Model 3
Funny that you should say that. I bought a 10th gen Type R, and wouldn't consider myself a fanatic. It's the first Honda I've owned and I don't have plans to buy another (nor plans not to buy another). My car is completely standard and I'm happy with my purchase.
I was more referring to the type of person looking to buy an FL5 in the next year or so. You have to really want one to put up with the markups and the general difficulty in buying one. Of course a few years from now if we can walk in to a dealer with a checkbook and drive out in an FL5 there will be a broader audience for the car.

Still though, even if you don’t feel like a fanatic, most normies will think you are after hearing that you bought a $25,000 Civic with a $20,000 Type R option package. :D

Full disclosure, I might consider an FL5 in a few years, if they ever come back down to earth.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Funny that you should say that. I bought a 10th gen Type R, and wouldn't consider myself a fanatic. It's the first Honda I've owned and I don't have plans to buy another (nor plans not to buy another). My car is completely standard and I'm happy with my purchase. It still feels 'special' to drive 3 years later and is way more practical than my previous car (a Holden Commodore sedan - similar size to an Accord).

Ignoring the fact that the Si is not offered in Australia, I wouldn't consider an Si since it only comes as a sedan. The appeal of the Type R was that it can be used as a daily. It rides well. It can take adult passengers. I can fold down the rear seats and carry large items because it's a hatchback. The Type R compromises:
-The front passenger seat does not recline flat with the rear seats if you wanted to carry really long/large items.
-The 20" wheels are susceptible to damage from potholes (haven't damaged mine yet). 11th gen Type R will be less susceptible with 19" wheels.
-The trunk floor is not as low as Civic hatchbacks that don't have a center-exit/sports exhaust. If an Si hatch existed it would have this problem too.
-Missing the center seatbelt in the rear, but that's a non issue for me. If you had a family, you can still carry two kids in car seats in the rear - it has isofix, the rear seat is otherwise the same as the base model civic apart from the missing center belt.
-You have to be mindful of low ceilings when opening the hatch otherwise the rear wing will crash into it lol. I can't open my hatch fully when my garage door is up.

Another thing to consider is that I think the long term depreciation on a Type R will be less than an Si or any other Civic trim level. Depreciation can be a significant running cost of the car, although if you get ripped off by the dealer on the purchase price then that doesn't help - the dealers in Australia are not nearly as shady as in NA. I paid RRP and no more. I plan to keep my car for at least 10 years, so I can see it still being worth something then, while an Si or some other trim level will probably be fairly worthless at the same age.

If however Honda had offered a MT 1.5L turbo civic hatch in Australia, at $15-20k less, I'd probably have bought that instead.

If all I wanted was a 'weekend car', I'd probably consider cars like the Miata/MX5, Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ, perhaps a BMW with an M badge.
Dang, sounds like you would have loved the Sport or Sport Touring hatch with a 6MT. I'm surprised they didn't offer those in Australia.

OP
OP

blinkme323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y Performance
Thanks for all of the responses thus far! Yeah like some have suggested, the markup/wait times just have me a bit rattled. I can order a brand new M2 at MSRP through my BMW connection and that would probably cost around the same as these marked up CTRs.

spectre186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Camry, 23 Civic Type R
Damn, if BMW made their m340 with a stick, they could steal CTR buyers left and right!

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Dang, sounds like you would have loved the Sport or Sport Touring hatch with a 6MT. I'm surprised they didn't offer those in Australia.
Think only the Type R came with a manual in Australia.
Sponsored