• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Jester’s Hondata thread

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
@TW00Si The only other person I know doing FL5/DE5 ECU unlocks in the US is Derek Robinson. He is in PA and (with an appointment) you can drive up and have your ECU unlocked, no problem. It's a bit of a drive but much closer than California!
Where in PA is he? If not too far north or west, I might make the trip.
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
I will be in Miami for another 4 weeks if anybody is interested in a custom tune in person. Website will be up and running hopefully soon. But if anybody wants to take advantage of it now is the time. You must have your ECU jailbroken and Hondata dongle with you already.

Here is some data I would like to share

This is a log of the Hondata map. In which you can see the agressive boost curve maxes out the fuel pump for a moment and the car loses control the air fuel since it goes into protection mode which richens the fuel mixture. This won’t break the car and its safe for the short amount of time it happens. Hondata is not going to break the car.

11th Gen Honda Civic Jester’s Hondata thread IMG_2827

Now this is my map with a more progressive boost curve and look how the fuel pump handles it much better without a crazy pressure drop. This also decreases the torque spike down low to decrease stress on the engine. Final goal for the tune will be around 24psi so a bit less than its running right now. Also this map holds boost longer until redline since it does not spike as hard.

11th Gen Honda Civic Jester’s Hondata thread IMG_2826

Last edited:

yeaitsahonda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Boost Blue Type R
Very cool to know that a legit owner is doing professional tuning. Hopefully those wanting to tune their car will show some appreciation for the knowledge you're sharing by choosing you for their cars. My car will be staying stock(ish) but I love reading about what goes into a good tune. I tuned my old Gs-R turbo back in the day and left A LOT on the table. It was a ton of fun but I was too scared to play with ignition tables and I think that would have really woken it up.

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Very cool to know that a legit owner is doing professional tuning. Hopefully those wanting to tune their car will show some appreciation for the knowledge you're sharing by choosing you for their cars. My car will be staying stock(ish) but I love reading about what goes into a good tune. I tuned my old Gs-R turbo back in the day and left A LOT on the table. It was a ton of fun but I was too scared to play with ignition tables and I think that would have really woken it up.
Thank you kind sir! Hopefully it goes well.

Here you will get your fill on the science and nerdy part. Plus hopefully you will be able to take something home with you with a bit more knowledge. All the testing and development has been done on my personal car so putting my everything to the limit to show owners that want to tune the car that it can be reliable and fun.

On those older cars playing with timing could be a scary thing since those B series ran distributors and to advance timing it was all dependent on that. No way to dial it back in the case of bad gas due to it being mechanical and not ecu controlled. Unless you were running a more modern engine.

TJ83

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R CBP
Sending my ecu off this week to be jailbroken. I live literally in the middle of the pacific so it's gonna be at least a week without my ecu even with FedEx. Getting a hondata mini as well.

Id be interested in getting tuned!

Where I live it's 90F and humid 24/7 365. Also we only have 91 Oct. No 93, no e85. I'd like to reliably make mid to upper 400's. I have a PRL front mount, twostep catted downpipe, remark catback and a sprint drop in filter. Thinking I'd need turbo, fuel system upgrades and perhaps a set of tr2 cams.

I'm also thinking about upgrading radiator and getting an oil cooler but I don't track my car (we don't have one) we do have a drag strip so I might go have fun there once in a while.

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sending my ecu off this week to be jailbroken. I live literally in the middle of the pacific so it's gonna be at least a week without my ecu even with FedEx. Getting a hondata mini as well.

Id be interested in getting tuned!

Where I live it's 90F and humid 24/7 365. Also we only have 91 Oct. No 93, no e85. I'd like to reliably make mid to upper 400's. I have a PRL front mount, twostep catted downpipe, remark catback and a sprint drop in filter. Thinking I'd need turbo, fuel system upgrades and perhaps a set of tr2 cams.

I'm also thinking about upgrading radiator and getting an oil cooler but I don't track my car (we don't have one) we do have a drag strip so I might go have fun there once in a while.
I can take care of you my friend, reach out to me when you have the unlock. For 400whp on 91 will be tough since you will be limited by the fuel. But we can first do the mods you have and then we can move forward with other mods. The cams not needed but are nice, but the fuel upgrade and bigger turbo are a must if you want to get close to that number. Also you won’t need the radiator or oil cooler if you don’t track it. Save the money.

Plus if you purchase a tune, I will take care of you on future upgrades and you won’t have to pay for the whole thing all over again.

TJ83

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R CBP
Sounds like a plan @Jester04! I actually almost bought a turbo lol but I ordered wheels instead, since that'll be the only exterior mod haha. I'm a power mod junkie 😅 I'll be following along and hopefully by mid December I'll have the ecu back, unlocked with a hondata installed. I'll reach out once I'm set to go!

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like a plan @Jester04! I actually almost bought a turbo lol but I ordered wheels instead, since that'll be the only exterior mod haha. I'm a power mod junkie 😅 I'll be following along and hopefully by mid December I'll have the ecu back, unlocked with a hondata installed. I'll reach out once I'm set to go!
Sounds good buddy, the car feels plenty fast with a stock turbo so who knows. It might take a little while for the mod bug to itch again.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
This is excellent - an extremely rare opportunity to have an owner and a proficient tuner with the vehicle's and its owner's best interest in mind, and also the flexbility of tweaking things to ones specific mods.
The sad truth is that peak numbers sell tunes - but this is the wrong approach for track cars, as we need long term reliability and performance (ie. no point having a peaky tune that overheats the car and loses all its power the second half of the lap..)
I will definitely be in touch next year, hopefully by then someone local will be offering jail breaks so I don't need to send the ECU out to another state. Look forward to lesson's learnt here.

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This is excellent - an extremely rare opportunity to have an owner and a proficient tuner with the vehicle's and its owner's best interest in mind, and also the flexbility of tweaking things to ones specific mods.
The sad truth is that peak numbers sell tunes - but this is the wrong approach for track cars, as we need long term reliability and performance (ie. no point having a peaky tune that overheats the car and loses all its power the second half of the lap..)
I will definitely be in touch next year, hopefully by then someone local will be offering jail breaks so I don't need to send the ECU out to another state. Look forward to lesson's learnt here.
Yes my friend! And I’m sure the other offerings are safe too but in my opinion they are more dedicated for street and like you said numbers sell. But will keep posting here and trying to share as much as possible.

Fair warning though with the design on the intake tract for the civic the overheating of air and losing a bit of power will still happen just for safety. But the car will carry a lot more power in the area under the curve than stock.

I actually ran into a camaro SS the other day at a small event. Lets just say that my car with a reflash and a intercooler did not get pulled on. :cool:

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 RSX-S, '18 NSX, '21 TLX-S, '22 RDX ASpec
On those older cars playing with timing could be a scary thing since those B series ran distributors and to advance timing it was all dependent on that. No way to dial it back in the case of bad gas due to it being mechanical and not ecu controlled. Unless you were running a more modern engine.
Just a correction here: I'm unsure where you got the idea that the B-Series distributor cars don't have ECU-controlled ignition advance... They absolutely do.

The distributor is sync'd with the ECU, and the ECU still controls ignition output signal to the coil to time the spark event.

You do know they even had knock sensors on some of them, right? ;)

OP
OP
Jester04

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just a correction here: I'm unsure where you got the idea that the B-Series distributor cars don't have ECU-controlled ignition advance... They absolutely do.

The distributor is sync'd with the ECU, and the ECU still controls ignition output signal to the coil to time the spark event.

You do know they even had knock sensors on some of them, right? ;)
I don’t work on B series engines but from what I do remember a long time ago. Of course we were more limited with technology we used to turn the distributor to adjust timing. I distinctively remember them even knocking audibly through a dyno pull.

:thumbsup:
Sponsored