• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Jonnys_honda FL5 Build Thread

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Looks amazing!

As someone with Spoon springs in the garage waiting to be installed I'm a little concerned with the DD ability and I'm running 18x9.5 +45 wheels. I've noticed in about a month of driving my skirts/bumper are getting demolished with sand/rocks and that's on 340 TW tires.

I recommend doing PPF or rock guards to the edges or you'll likely have the same problem with even more aggressive tires. I plan on making a thread warning other owners as I really didn't expect it to be this bad...
That is valid advice. My car has been paint corrected, PPF (full car) and ceramic coated. Canā€™t recommend it enough for a black car.
Sponsored

Phil Devtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sierra Denali/'22 Yukon Denali/'22 X5/'23 FL5
That is valid advice. My car has been paint corrected, PPF (full car) and ceramic coated. Canā€™t recommend it enough for a black car.
Same! No chance Iā€™d have a black vehicle without PPF.

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
I saw that you're running the Eibach rear camber kit. I take it you are running the ones made for the FK8? I don't see any FL5 specific ones on their site so I assume the FK8 ones are compatible?

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
I saw that you're running the Eibach rear camber kit. I take it you are running the ones made for the FK8? I don't see any FL5 specific ones on their site so I assume the FK8 ones are compatible?
Yes thatā€™s correct, direct fit. Be sure to torque those bolts down otherwise youā€™ll get noise back there over bumps.

Reactions: UJX
OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
The FL5 spec Spoon springs have settled after 1,000 miles and a track day.
My other suspension mods again are: Eibach rear upper arms and Whiteline Adjustable ball joints. My next steps are looking into other suspension options with higher spring rates.

CE28SL x RE71RS x Spoon
11th Gen Honda Civic Jonnys_honda FL5 Build Thread 1691676256019

Note: All Images posted on my thread are for personal use only. Not to be used for commercial purposes without my written permission.

11th Gen Honda Civic Jonnys_honda FL5 Build Thread 1691676451285

Note: All Images posted on my thread are for personal use only. Not to be used for commercial purposes without my written permission.

UJX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R #2479
Yes thatā€™s correct, direct fit. Be sure to torque those bolts down otherwise youā€™ll get noise back there over bumps.
So I lowered the car yesterday and put on Spoon rigid collars. Iā€™m getting a pretty loud rattle when I go over bumps. You think itā€™s the camber arms? What did you torque them to?

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
So I lowered the car yesterday and put on Spoon rigid collars. Iā€™m getting a pretty loud rattle when I go over bumps. You think itā€™s the camber arms? What did you torque them to?
I got noises when I didnā€™t torque things down for sure.

Thereā€™s a torque spec document on the site if you search for ā€œType R torque specsā€, on it it lists to torque the rear upper arm to 56 lb-ft for both ends.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Installed my new wheels.

265/35/18 Bridgestone Potenza RE71RS on 18x9.5 +35 CE28SL in Blast Bronze.

Lowered on Spoon FL5 spec springs with Eibach rear adjustable camber arms and front adjustable white line ball joints. Front strut pin removed to add additional camber.

IMG_7325.jpeg
I've got a set of CE28 Club Racer II Black Edition 18x9.5's sitting in my garage waiting for center caps to arrive from Japan. I can't wait to put them on the car. I know people love TE37's, but the CE28's are lighter by about half a pound, and in my opinion-look better.

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Eibach Sportline FL5 Spec!

They reached out to get a prototype over to me. The drop is great!!

Full resolution not support on this site but hereā€™s a reduced file.
11th Gen Honda Civic Jonnys_honda FL5 Build Thread IMG_8247

11th Gen Honda Civic Jonnys_honda FL5 Build Thread IMG_8248

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Look better now that the front wheel gap is gone from the Spoon springs.
Agreed! The car sits very nicely. Going to keep an eye on the springs as they settle over a few hundred miles.

Turboawd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R SGP
Hey bud, just replied to your DM.

But I'll just add a photo here of where my ball joints are set. I used the +1 shim (hole in the centre of the shim).

Strut tops are all the way in on the towers.

20230506_122649.jpg
Are these the hardrace adjustable ball joints? I think it's the same part for the FL5 and FK8, right?

Can I ask: when using these adjustable ball joints to add more negative camber, do they result in the tops of the tires being "pushed in" into the fender well? Or do they actually just "push out" the bottom of the tires?

I'm asking because I want to know if using these adjustable ball joints will help me reduce tire rub on the front wheel well liner by pushing in , or tucking in, the tops of the tires a little bit more into the fenders.

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Are these the hardrace adjustable ball joints? I think it's the same part for the FL5 and FK8, right?

Can I ask: when using these adjustable ball joints to add more negative camber, do they result in the tops of the tires being "pushed in" into the fender well? Or do they actually just "push out" the bottom of the tires?

I'm asking because I want to know if using these adjustable ball joints will help me reduce tire rub on the front wheel well liner by pushing in , or tucking in, the tops of the tires a little bit more into the fenders.
Correct these are similar to the Hardrace Ball joints. Mine are from Whiteline. But same exact design. The camber really comes from the bottom, but the top does slightly go in.

Are you on stock dampers or coilovers?

Turboawd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R SGP
Correct these are similar to the Hardrace Ball joints. Mine are from Whiteline. But same exact design. The camber really comes from the bottom, but the top does slightly go in.

Are you on stock dampers or coilovers?
Hey thanks for your reply! Iā€™m on stock dampers with spoon springs (i have an fk8). My wheels are 18x9.5 et40, and my tires are 265-35 advan ad09

i have slight rubbing on the front liner, itā€™s just catching it by like a few millimetres as you can see from the pic belowā€¦Iā€™m hoping that more neg camber from these adjustablr bolts will push in the tops of the tires enough to eliminate this slight rubbing, without me having to mod my fender or bend the tab etc

11th Gen Honda Civic Jonnys_honda FL5 Build Thread IMG_6133

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Hey thanks for your reply! Iā€™m on stock dampers with spoon springs (i have an fk8). My wheels are 18x9.5 et40, and my tires are 265-35 advan ad09

i have slight rubbing on the front liner, itā€™s just catching it by like a few millimetres as you can see from the pic belowā€¦Iā€™m hoping that more neg camber from these adjustablr bolts will push in the tops of the tires enough to eliminate this slight rubbing, without me having to mod my fender or bend the tab etc

IMG_6133.jpeg
Have you removed the top pins from the top of the damper to gain more camber?
Sponsored