• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

No Parking Sensors in USDM Type Rs - why?

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Boost Blue CTR 05334, ā€˜04 S2K, ā€˜97 Prelude SH
Just needed to take a moment and rant. My biggest pet peeve about my Type R is the lack of parking sensors. Seems like the rest of the world gets them but we don't. Don't get me wrong, I love the car - but it is super annoying not to have a feature that my old 2008 Mercury Mariner had back in the day.
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I agree it is an odd omission. My previous car (09 Si) was very small in comparison to the FL5. It also had a short nose and the hood was invisible from the driverā€™s seat. Didnā€™t have sensors, but it was pretty easy to guesstimate my distance when approaching a curb. The FL5 certainly takes some getting used to, which I largely have (scraping the wind deflector under the front) a couple of timesā€¦which I know is gonna happen now and then anyway. Still, sensors would be a nice quality of life feature in 2023 for a car of this quality. Then again, sensors can look ugly if theyā€™re not hidden well enough too.

Kfo_cpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RDX
The CTR is small and easy to park. I have zero issues with not having them. And it has reverse camera so pointless to have in the rear. Park a foot or two back from curbs so the bottom doesnā€™t hit - I rather stick out a lil then grind bumper.

and in +R mode they would rattle out. Jk šŸ˜Š.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
It's part of a long list of creature comforts not included. Parking sensors, Homelink, rear seat connectivity, power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, power seats, interior LED lighting throughout, and the list goes on.

If I'm being honest, I don't mind these items were not included. I also don't believe they were omissions. Honda did a very good job of creating a modern car with some retro elements. If those items mean a lot to you, that's what the ITS is for. Market segmentation at its finest. ;)

OP
OP
davilla413

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those of us who live in an urban environment, parking sensors are a very nice thing to have - and in some situations (even with the camera) a necessity. The CTR isnā€™t slim by any means, itā€™s a wonder I haven't scratched it yet. But thatā€™s it, thatā€™s my gripe. From what I can tell, nearly every other market got sensorsā€¦oh well.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Two huge things I don't miss from my Golf R are the parking sensors screaming every time I pull in and out of the garage and forgetting to disable the asinine start/stop feature after each start up. Sayonara unneeded stuff.

Phil Devtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sierra Denali/'22 Yukon Denali/'22 X5/'23 FL5
Agreedā€¦this car is so tiny. No sensors needed.

I do miss HUD. Lol! But I donā€™t foresee myself driving the car too much so I can live without.

Phil Devtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sierra Denali/'22 Yukon Denali/'22 X5/'23 FL5
Itā€™s the smallest car in my fleet, so itā€™s tiny to me.

I consider my X5 small. I donā€™t even let my kids in there because it gets me anxious having them in something that small.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I prefer the car without parking sensors as I find them ugly especially when it's in the middle of a bumper surface. I've gotten used to parking mine in the garage. I usually just shift to reverse to make sure the rear is in far enough.

Parking with curb in front is my biggest concern and parking sensors don't really help with that. I think there is a good chance they will add them to the mid-cycle refresh of the FL5 and if not just keep them as an Integra only option in North America.

If it's the big a deal to you then maybe you should have purchased an ITS. I do not recommend trying to add them aftermarket as it will lower the value of your car.

OP
OP
davilla413

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yā€™all, itā€™s just a gripeā€¦one feature, I feel is lacking*. Nothing more. My point was that in an urban environment where one has tighter quarters and needs to parallel park frequently, sensors are very useful. And having seen how they look on the car in other countries, they wouldnā€™t bother me aesthetically. And yes I know, you trade off features with the CTR bs the ITS.

*Theres actually one more: the auto dimming rear view. At least that can be remedied with the available conversion, and is on my list.

OP
OP
davilla413

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s the smallest car in my fleet, so itā€™s tiny to me.

I consider my X5 small. I donā€™t even let my kids in there because it gets me anxious having them in something that small.
Lol, compared to a Sierra, Yukon and an X5 the CTR is an Isetta. Itā€™s all about perspective I guess. When I compare the CTR to my S2K, Prelude or even my recently departed MK 7.5 GTI, it is quite thicc.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
It's a specific decision made based on where the car is sold. USA generally has the largest(width-wise) lanes and parking spots. Places like Japan and Europe have much smaller parking spaces and much less space to move around. The civic is also now the largest car in its class, so to aid customers, those features were added to those markets.

Plus the car looks better with out the sensors in the bumpers, i do miss power folding mirrors but that can easily be added.

jayely14

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
992 GT3, Model Y
The CTR is small and easy to park. I have zero issues with not having them. And it has reverse camera so pointless to have in the rear. Park a foot or two back from curbs so the bottom doesnā€™t hit - I rather stick out a lil then grind bumper.

and in +R mode they would rattle out. Jk šŸ˜Š.
Wouldn't say it's "small" maybe by todays standards, but generally speaking it's not a small car.
I think it would be nice to have them.. 95% would opt for them if they could i'm sure.
Sponsored