• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R - SGP
I’m gonna say I disagree with this post. And guess what, that’s my opinion. I don’t find the valve useless when you have an option to operate it manually. The car can be made louder or more quiet with a remote and push of a button. I’ll speak for Milltek here because I own the exhaust and can speak from experience. Their valve system allows you to control it remotely. The same was available for the FK8 and the Remus exhaust. I’m sure there were others available.

My opinion is that it’s a bad take to say it’s pointless. When the option is given to manually control how loud or soft the exhaust is by using a proper remote controlled setup, I feel that is the best of both worlds. If it was “useless” , I’d say most manufacturers, oem or after market would never incorporate them. When on the highway going 70-80mph, the last thing I personally want to hear is a loud(er) cabin. I close the valve and the sound drops a decent bit. When I’m in the city and I want more grunt, I open the valve and notice a substantial increase in exhaust tone.

Neither of the configurations are valved, and this was by design and for good reason. During R&D we did a full evaluation of the factory valve and how it performed under various driving conditions – painstakingly, really, but we were hell-bent on finding a reason why it was there to begin with. The valve is not controllable by the driver… at all. Meaning regardless of the driving mode, buttons, settings, etc, there’s no opening/closing the valve from within the cabin. It works directly off of throttle input and only opens upon a certain breach of a threshold declared by the ECU quite high in the range. It’s sole purpose is for backpressure higher up, that’s it.

After confirming this, and given our configurations already remove any backpressure issues organically, it would have been pointless to incorporate a valve.

After testing confirmed that there was no need for a valve, we moved forward with our Touring Edition which has a new recipe of drone-canceling 180 Technology® resonator bespoke for the FL5 which achieves the same result, essentially, which is tame when you are at low RPM cruising and wakes up when you step on the throttle.

We do ship to EU and we also have dealers over there, feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any recommendations or a quote with shipping from us 👍

Yep! The conversion kits replace the specific Track or Touring sections in the event you want to switch it up or add something spicy upstream (like a DP) and are in need of 180 Technology® (if a Track Edition was on there initially, for instance).
Sponsored

FreshFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
The most correct answer is usually somewhere in the middle. Valved exhausts aren’t necessarily useless. But also may not be needed depending on the application and execution.

In this instance, I can confirm that AWE did a great job of creating an exhaust that doesn’t need the valve. It really does quiet down at cruising speeds/throttle, and gets spicy when you’re on it.

My buddy just installed the Apexi exhaust, and it turns out the valve rattles. Enough to annoy him that he will be unplugging the control module. The OEM valves on my other car also rattle, but I just live with it.

FL5 exhausts that plug and play integrate with the valved system likely all have to follow the oem logic of opening based on throttle input. I’d rather have it open all the way in R+. I believe something like Remus in the FK8 introduces separate wiring and control from oem. I’m guessing it’s the same with milltek as far as remote operation. I’d rather have something integrated into the factory drive system selection.

All this to say that imo AWE made the right choice in deleting the valve, especially with how they tuned their system as a whole.

I’m gonna say I disagree with this post. And guess what, that’s my opinion. I don’t find the valve useless when you have an option to operate it manually. The car can be made louder or more quiet with a remote and push of a button. I’ll speak for Milltek here because I own the exhaust and can speak from experience. Their valve system allows you to control it remotely. The same was available for the FK8 and the Remus exhaust. I’m sure there were others available.

My opinion is that it’s a bad take to say it’s pointless. When the option is given to manually control how loud or soft the exhaust is by using a proper remote controlled setup, I feel that is the best of both worlds. If it was “useless” , I’d say most manufacturers, oem or after market would never incorporate them. When on the highway going 70-80mph, the last thing I personally want to hear is a loud(er) cabin. I close the valve and the sound drops a decent bit. When I’m in the city and I want more grunt, I open the valve and notice a substantial increase in exhaust tone.

FreshFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
If I were to purchase the black tipped and down the road wanted the chrome, do you sell the tips seperately?
Yeah, the modularity of the system is great. They sell those separately and it is easy to swap out.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
The most correct answer is usually somewhere in the middle. Valved exhausts aren’t necessarily useless. But also may not be needed depending on the application and execution.

In this instance, I can confirm that AWE did a great job of creating an exhaust that doesn’t need the valve. It really does quiet down at cruising speeds/throttle, and gets spicy when you’re on it.

My buddy just installed the Apexi exhaust, and it turns out the valve rattles. Enough to annoy him that he will be unplugging the control module. The OEM valves on my other car also rattle, but I just live with it.
Agreed here. There are pros and cons of a valved system and I think the AWE seems like it hits a sweet spot on a non-valved system with the "Touring" model. I will see shortly though as I am likely placing an order in the next week or so.

Coming from my BMW, valve rattle is a common thing with those cars but is typically a pretty easy fix with a $10 part (valve actuator clip). The stock FL5 valve hasn't rattled for me yet but the actuation sound is actually sort of loud/noticeable; not so much from the driver seat but outside it is almost comically "clicky".

Pneumatic valves tend to have less rattling but are typically a much more involved installation if your car didn't come with such a system.

Side note on the Apexi - Funny that you mention your friend's Apexi exhaust valve rattles since I saw someone else in the other thread they are just going to go that route. I like how that exhaust sounds but for $3k w/ the front pipe I expected more as you can clearly hear the valve rattling in their promo video when the exhaust note hits a certain frequency.

Bsnyder6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2005 Wrangler
Yeah, the modularity of the system is great. They sell those separately and it is easy to swap out.
That's great news because I'm at a coin toss type decision lol. Thanks!

FreshFL5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
That's great news because I'm at a coin toss type decision lol. Thanks!
You know what, I take that back. I saw a tip conversion listed for the FK8, but not yet for the FL5. It may be a case of it being a special request? I will defer to @Sara/AWE for an answer.

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Is anyone else remotely worried about the slip fittings? My opinion, but i personally prefer 3 bolt flanges.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Is anyone else remotely worried about the slip fittings? My opinion, but i personally prefer 3 bolt flanges.
Not worried at all.

The >$3k exhaust I had on my M2 had slip fittings. I have also had several other exhausts with slip fittings. Never had any issues with exhaust leaks or anything else when slip fittings have been used correctly.

davilla413

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Boost Blue CTR 05334, ‘04 S2K, ‘97 Prelude SH
I've had great experience with AWE exhausts - most recently on my MK 7.5 GTI. The slip fittings and clamps worked just fine.

However, I am gonna hold off on a full exhaust for now, since I'm inclined to keep the valve. Instead, I'm just gonna go with the MRT resonator delete.

Hkc

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5
I've had great experience with AWE exhausts - most recently on my MK 7.5 GTI. The slip fittings and clamps worked just fine.

However, I am gonna hold off on a full exhaust for now, since I'm inclined to keep the valve. Instead, I'm just gonna go with the MRT resonator delete.
I’d prefer mrt but want the 3 tips!

Mimzie2763

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT, 2023 FL5

MRT axelback does not have the valve.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Anyone know of anyone that has a touring with black tips in stock? 😅

urbo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
So does the exhaust sound the same in all drive modes (COMFORT, SPORT, and +R)?

Does the ENGINE setting do anything for the exhaust sound or does it just control the throttle map? What about the ENGINE SOUND? Is that just for the fake engine noise, or does it also do something to the exhaust? I never quite understood how these two settings affect the OEM exhaust sound and if they affect the AWE exhaust sound in any way. @Sara/AWE ?