• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Possible Oil Temp Improvement Mod.

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR Crystal Black Pearl
for my most recent track day, i removed the water shield under the hood vent, and the rubber weather stripping between the wiper housing and the engine bay.

my max oil temp was 246F during lap 5 in the second (fastest for me) session with an ambient of 67F, and me driving hard.

the previous track day (same track), my max oil temp was 253 also at lap 5 with an ambient of 78, and me driving the same effort.

the first event had more wind, but was warmer. humidity was low and comparable for both events. no rain.

i think my oil was cooler with the shield removed. in the 78 ambient, i had to slow down for a couple of minutes to keep the oil temp below 253. without the shield and the weatherstrip i didn't.

the oil was the same for both sessions, about 500 miles used, and barely driven between events.

of course, the ambient was 11 degrees less in the second event, but my oil temp peaked and stopped, unlike the first event where i had to slow things down.

the shield and rubber are easy to remove, and i put them back after.

might be worth a try. if you do, please comment on your results.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Oil temps are fine. You should actually monitor oil pressures to ensure those aren’t dropping too much as the temps increase.

Splice247

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Type R
Yeah, I already removed the water shield for my first day, still seen 273is consistently both days, mid to high 70s. I'm sure it helps, but it isn't magic. 250 must not be pushing that hard...? 1 cool down lap and I would drop 40f in oil temp

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the feedback. i will be testing the mod again this week with fresh Castrol Syntec vs Mobil 1.

even 5-10 degree savings is better than nothing.

will see...

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
I have done a similar thing by spacing the water shield down by 10mm with spacers/longer M6 bolts thereby opening up the vent signifcantly - I have not done any back to back testing though.

I would say pulling the weather stripping at the firewall side might not be doing anything to help as that area below the windshield is a high pressure area. This has the potential to reduce the volume of air moving into the front grille/radiators/intercooler as you may be increasing the net air pressure inside the engine bay. You could stick a few tuffs of wool on rear edge of the bonnet to see where the lengths of wool end up to see if air is going in or out of that gap at speed.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
So you saw a 7 degree improvement when the ambient temp was 11 degrees cooler....
Nothing to do with your "mod". Yes I know you had to slow down on the hotter day.

I would expect changes in ambient temperatures to account at least twice as much change in oil temps. I guess you could do the thermodynamics to see if my assumptions is correct, but ugg.

OP
OP
mmdct

mmdct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
another event with air temp around 68 and oil temps around 240 driving moderately hard.

i can't say how much the mod helps but temps feel subjectively better.

for me, i think ambient and aggressiveness are the main factors. my ambients have been low and i drive conservatively.

in the end thermodynamics rule...

thanks for the feedback. i will be testing the mod again this week with fresh Castrol Syntec vs Mobil 1.

even 5-10 degree savings is better than nothing.

will see...

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Does the FL5 have a oil cooler?

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Yes, but its water cooled so its not at all a traditional oil cooler.
Got it. So an aftermarket standalone oil cooler maybe beneficial if there is room for it.
Sponsored