• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Red Leather shifter

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
Just installed the red Honda leather shift knob. For those of you who haven't done it yet, probably one of the best mods I've ever done to any car. Grip and comfort levels are excellent! No more freezing cold and slippery shifter.
Sponsored

tfcivicfl5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I just installed my red shifter feels better my hand is no longer freezing

tfcivicfl5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I had a few mods done but had one of my installers do it. I think the hardest part was pulling the shifter boot down.

OP
OP

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How difficult is the install?
I had my PPF guy do it. I think someone on here posted a video that showed the proper install, which included taking the console off.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I love the feel of the stock shift knob, and being all metal is classic Honda performance. But I also miss the leather wrapped knob my old Si had. I need more seat time in my car, especially in warmer weather when my hands will be more sweaty. From there, maybe a red, leather, knob will be in order.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Every time I touch it... I feel like I need to do something.. but I just do nothing.

Can't wait for July!

OP
OP

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the feel of the stock shift knob, and being all metal is classic Honda performance. But I also miss the leather wrapped knob my old Si had. I need more seat time in my car, especially in warmer weather when my hands will be more sweaty. From there, maybe a red, leather, knob will be in order.
I love the look of the stock knob, but once you feel the temperature difference in the dead of winter and the middle of summer you will appreciate the leather knob.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
Gloves in winter is my solution. Summer not sure what I’ll do. 60-70F weather the aluminum shift knob feels perfect. Helps accentuate the perfect click click with every shift. Bravo Honda, bravo!!!

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
the Honda pdf just says to pull down the shift boot, with no instructions how.

will definitely do this, hate all metal shift knobs.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
If anyone has actually installed a shift knob on their type R could post some instructions that would be helpful! I'm guessing you can't just unscrew and screw the new one on.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, it’s definitely more complicated than that @CTRifecta . My guess is it’s a safety thing. It’d be really bad for the knob to potentially rotate while driving. Not only that, it’d be nearly impossible for the screw threads to align perfectly every time (so the gear graphics on top of the knob are in the correct position for the driver).

OP
OP

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

habibijin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A6
Thanks for the info. I'm considering getting a leather interior, so the info you've shared is really helpful, thanks. You know, I've even found a guide on Von Baer about how to choose leather right.

Last edited:

Samurai1225

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Call me a weirdo, but I love the stock metal shifter. I like the way looks and feels in my hand. As far as the temperature issue it just doesn't bother me and really doesn't take that long to stabilize once you get rolling down the road.
Sponsored