• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Road noise

sfedai0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 civic
Did people really think a civic, much less a Type-R, would have no road noise? Its already quite insulated compared to past Honda cars. Try a S2k or the ITR. The road noise in combination with the engine and music is all part of the experience.
Sponsored

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
Did people really think a civic, much less a Type-R, would have no road noise? Its already quite insulated compared to past Honda cars. Try a S2k or the ITR. The road noise in combination with the engine and music is all part of the experience.
I daily drove an S2000 for 8 years. The tire noise on the FL5 is much louder. It was the first thing I noticed driving away from the dealership. Wind noise is definitely worse in an S2000 though.

A lot of people daily drive these cars because they are fun and practical. There is nothing wrong with trying to find ways of reducing road noise.

Shingo Shoji

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 - Championship White
I daily drove an S2000 for 8 years. The tire noise on the FL5 is much louder. It was the first thing I noticed driving away from the dealership. Wind noise is definitely worse in an S2000 though.

A lot of people daily drive these cars because they are fun and practical. There is nothing wrong with trying to find ways of reducing road noise.
Couldn't agree more. I think it really depends on where you live. If you were in a city with a lot of asphalt then the road noise is really good in the FL5. When you live in a more rural area with coarse chip seal/spray seal roads then on 265 tyres I find the road noise is pretty bad. On one stretch near me I measured road noise averaging 82db abd maxing out at 89 in 5th gear doing 80kmph (50mph).

I'm booked in for new speakers and decided to get noise deadening as well in the doors to help with the sound system performance but also so that I can talk on the phone on coarse chip. Hopefully it works. Even if it just helps a little it would be worth it IMO.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
My S2000 is loud, noisy and lots of fun to drive. When I drive my CTR, it’s like a fun luxury sedan. I’ve had my S2000 since 2007, everything is luxury.

Aar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Manual
I picked up my FL5 today and mostly love it; however, ironically, in online videos where people complain about the fake engine sound, all I hear is road noise. It's deafening. Even driving around 30mph, road noise is dominant. Online review videos must use mics/software that remove the background road noise and isolate the engine sound, which is misleading.

rob495

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2012 Ariel Atom
I always thought the road noise was high but acceptable, until I drove into Georgia. The material they use to pave the highways created so much road noise that I had to buy earplugs for me and my 10 year old daughter.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR
In the UK, generally speaking our roads are very coarsely (and badly) surfaced. The level of road noise in the FL5 is very high. As someone said above, S2000 road noise is lower (at least on standard wheels and tyres like mine was). The only car I've driven with similar levels of road noise as standard was an Impreza RB320.

But it doesn't bother me.
Sponsored