• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Should you buy a Garmin Catalyst?

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
Thanks for making the video. Now I know how to set it up. Are you able to setup for audio output to the car speakers via Bluetooth?

Iā€™m your first viewer again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Thanks for making the video. Now I know how to set it up. Are you able to setup for audio output to the car speakers via Bluetooth?

Iā€™m your first viewer again.
I've never thought to try that. The only way I could think to be able to hear it would be a headset since the interior of the car is so loud with the windows down.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
I've never thought to try that. The only way I could think to be able to hear it would be a headset since the interior of the car is so loud with the windows down.
I ask because I have overheard the Catalyst on track voice on other YouTuber videos.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I ask because I have overheard the Catalyst on track voice on other YouTuber videos.
It's possible they had the volume turned way up on the catalyst, and the camera microphone was picking up the audio.

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Odyssey
Thanks for posting more content! Adding to my watch list this weekend!

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
The catalyst is very nice. data and graphs are very helpful. coaching is great for beginners.
mic sucks
get a bigger memory chip
I havenā€™t bought a memory chip yet. What size would you recommend?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
I havenā€™t bought a memory chip yet. What size would you recommend?
The internal card fills up pretty quick and then it makes you choose what to delete. I tracked 40 days this season so that is a LOT of video and data

the catalyst has a slot for an addition memory card. 256 is the max

i run samsung 256 evo micro sd cards in garmin, go pros, etc.

TW00Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 S2000, 2023 CTR
40 daysā€¦.thatā€™s like a second job.

thanks will look into it.

turbo8765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I've used the catalyst for 6 track days so far, and I'm not impressed... may sell it.

It's basically an easy way to get a video with data overlay, and that's about it.

No OBD connectivity is a big short coming and the data analysis is very limited.

Some people may find the coaching helpful. I don't.

Limitations:
You have to either buy a bunch of the camera mounts or leave it permanently installed
Why can't it be used on battery power? You have not one but two cables to organize
Lack of OBD connectivity
You can't really import an entire session with the data overlay AFAIK, you have to render each lap individually
Audio is not good w/o an external mic

I hope a 2nd or 3rd gen version will have OBD connectivity, operate on battery power, and have a wireless bluetooth cam.... if I'm making a wish list 2 cams for a rear view would be awesome.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've used the catalyst for 6 track days so far, and I'm not impressed... may sell it.

It's basically an easy way to get a video with data overlay, and that's about it.

No OBD connectivity is a big short coming and the data analysis is very limited.

Some people may find the coaching helpful. I don't.

Limitations:
You have to either buy a bunch of the camera mounts or leave it permanently installed
Why can't it be used on battery power? You have not one but two cables to organize
Lack of OBD connectivity
You can't really import an entire session with the data overlay AFAIK, you have to render each lap individually
Audio is not good w/o an external mic

I hope a 2nd or 3rd gen version will have OBD connectivity, operate on battery power, and have a wireless bluetooth cam.... if I'm making a wish list 2 cams for a rear view would be awesome.
Be sure to check out the app for better data analysis!

roadsniper1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 16 GT4, 18 911T, 05 S2K, 23 Tundra
I have one and itā€™s been defective since day 1. The unit refuses to connect to the camera and its just been an expensive paperweight in my car on track days. Garmin sent me a new mount claiming that was the issue but no luck. Ive asked for a replacement unit but currently Iā€™m in Garmin customer service limbo.
Sponsored