• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Si firm ride. No adaptive dampers

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic LX coupe, 6 spd; '20 Civic Sport sdn, 6
A lot of reviewers have mentioned the new Si's firm ride and no adaptive dampers. And they were driving on smooth California roads.

I'm going to wait for the Integra.

11th Gen Honda Civic Si firm ride. No adaptive dampers Screenshot_20211202-131556_Chrome

11th Gen Honda Civic Si firm ride. No adaptive dampers Screenshot_20211202-131930_Chrome

11th Gen Honda Civic Si firm ride. No adaptive dampers Screenshot_20211202-132649_Chrome

11th Gen Honda Civic Si firm ride. No adaptive dampers Screenshot_20211202-132807_Chrome

11th Gen Honda Civic Si firm ride. No adaptive dampers Screenshot_20211202-132934_Chrome
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI, 1994 Miata (track toy)
In my opinion the 110th gen adaptive dampers were not that good. Not soft enough in normal to make a difference on the road, and definitely not firm enough in sport for autocross or hard driving. They were pretty meh. By removing them, it makes it easier for me to ditch them for the Koni Yellows I'm going to throw on anyways when the OEM ones start to wear.

Jabberwocker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla CE/Taco/Pilot
I get it. It probably was cut due to cost. The 10th gen was as far as I’m aware the only Si to have it. Not shocking cost had to be cut somewhere to keep it sub $30k.

Jabberwocker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla CE/Taco/Pilot
In my opinion the 110th gen adaptive dampers were not that good. Not soft enough in normal to make a difference on the road, and definitely not firm enough in sport for autocross or hard driving. They were pretty meh. By removing them, it makes it easier for me to ditch them for the Koni Yellows I'm going to throw on anyways when the OEM ones start to wear.
They were good enough for back road I feel but beyond that yeah you are spot on.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
What Honda heard: "We never use the adjustable dampers, they're pointless"
What customers were actually saying: "The dampers don't do enough to change the character of the car from one mode to another"

So rather than fix the adjustable dampers and make them better, they just took them out all together. They went the cheaper route and still saw fit to raise prices +$2k along with the other de-contenting that happened. Flip side to that, it helped shave quite a bit of weight from the Si keeping it light(er) and more nimble. Flip-flip side, it still ended up slower with less grip and worse stopping power.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
How does that one article say it has more standard features over the last gen? So far as most of us have seen it lost a bunch of standard stuff.

OP
OP
Steve182022

Steve182022

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic LX coupe, 6 spd; '20 Civic Sport sdn, 6
For the hard-core enthusiast the new Si may be fine. But for someone in the snow belt the softer riding Sport Touring HB or Sport HB with a manual will be almost as much fun and a better daily. And all of them handle well.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What customers were actually saying: "The dampers don't do enough to change the character of the car from one mode to another"

So rather than fix the adjustable dampers and make them better, they just took them out all together. They went the cheaper route and still saw fit to raise prices +$2k along with the other de-contenting that happened. Flip side to that, it helped shave quite a bit of weight from the Si keeping it light(er) and more nimble. Flip-flip side, it still ended up slower with less grip and worse stopping power.
Less grip and stopping power is most likely due to MT not doing the infamous pedal dance, they said the TCS was killing power until the wheel was straight. Add that to Honda most likely using a more commute focused brake pad, and tire compound. you get the slower Figure 8 numbers. I guarantee if you throw on a set of Falken RT660s, and the same set of aggressive brake pads, the numbers will be almost identical between the 10th and 11th gen.

explodingGTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTI
The Si's suspension isn't even that firm to my tastes, it feels just right for a sporty car. My point of reference is the Non-DCC MK7.5 GTI, which was too firm and "bouncy", exhausting to drive. The Si feels pretty comfortable in comparison. I think it's set up perfectly as is, it's more than soft enough for an engaging daily.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Si's suspension isn't even that firm to my tastes, it feels just right for a sporty car. My point of reference is the Non-DCC MK7.5 GTI, which was too firm and "bouncy", exhausting to drive. The Si feels pretty comfortable in comparison. I think it's set up perfectly as is, it's more than soft enough for an engaging daily.
That's both depressing and reliving to hear. IMO the stock MK7 suspension was too soft, but my Koni Yellow/Eibach Pro-Kit/034 Motorsports camber plates set up is way too firm for the wife. It does crash hard on bumps/potholes.

Kullervo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Civic Si
How does that one article say it has more standard features over the last gen? So far as most of us have seen it lost a bunch of standard stuff.
Not taking a side, but just for reference, they added a bunch of suspension bits from the Type R (bushings, mostly, iirc), rev match, individual mode and the Bose audio, to name a few ‘new’ features.

Now, you or I can question the utility of some of these features and the intelligence of the decisions, but they did seem to have a strategy in mind.

arpypat

First Name
Arpan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan ABM

Potential weight reduction by not having adaptive dampers, but it's still heavier than the 10th gen Si sedan lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
In my opinion the 110th gen adaptive dampers were not that good.
Wow, it's cool that we have a visitor from the future at the forum. It's amazing Honda continued to make Civics in the year 2524.

sackofcheese

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, it's cool that we have a visitor from the future at the forum. It's amazing Honda continued to make Civics in the year 2524.
Yeah that was a fat finger typo. *The 10th Gen dampers are a let down*

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR - white
I never noticed any difference in the ride on my 2018 Si with regard to normal vs sport. Now the CTR I notice in all 3 modes.
Sponsored