• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Spoon Springs vs Eibach?

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I think the spoon springs are more than capable for a daily driver set up.
[/QUOTE]

You are probably right...

I wanted as little impact to ride quality as possible while lowering the vehicle. I would prefer the least aggressive drop which is why I opted for Spoon.

The ITS ADS is sold out nationwide so it seems.
Sponsored

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
The inherant bounciness is still there, the stiffer rates of the springs does help though. I would say the bounciness is reduced by around 20%
I still don't touch Sport or +R mode - they are in my opinion far too over damped under high G loading.

The noise isn't too bad. It really only occurs mostly on sharp speed bumps in shopping centre carparks.

I think if I was to go back in time, I would go straight for coilovers, and forget lowering springs altogether. As they have not resolved the bounciness in any meaningful way imo.

These springs basically cost me 20% of a set of Ohlins. Thankfully, I can do all the install and set up myself, I would be quite disppointed if I had to pay for the spring install and then do it all over again for coilovers. We all differ though, and some people might find the spring option perfectly suitable for their intended purpose. It might be worth noting that coilovers may well exhibit a different kind of noise themselves.
Any thoughts only trying the Swift springs? Im curious how those would hold up on track. I wish they didn't have a 1" drop and the same drop as Spoon but the rates are really good for stock shocks.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
Any thoughts only trying the Swift springs? Im curious how those would hold up on track. I wish they didn't have a 1" drop and the same drop as Spoon but the rates are really good for stock shocks.
Might be a good option to consider - however the drop like you said is quite a lot. I would say even the Spoon springs drop too much. I'd prefer a 15mm drop to minimise the impact on the oem suspension geometry.

FL5CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I've been running the Spoon springs (FL5 Specific Set) for about a month now - been on the track once. They feel great, ride is definitely stiffer, and body movements are better controlled.
However, they are not perfect. Firstly, the fronts are noisy on sharp drop offs (decompressions) such as when it rebounds after hitting a speed bump or sharp undulation in the road, I have been able to reduce the noise by installing an additional spring insulator (made by Tein) to the front springs however it has not eliminated this noise. Additionally, I am running a 7mm spring shim on the rear positioned between the upper spring rubber insulator and the body, to make the vehicle sit flat. Without the shim, it is heavily reversed raked.
I plan to upgrade to coilovers towards the end of the year.
Curious where you got the spring shim from?

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I think my Spoon springs are a more even drop then Eibach. The front is even with the rear, which is clear from the side profile. Like I mentioned, there is more wheel gap with stock springs in the front then the rear. So, it makes sense that it looks like the rear is dropped more in the rear when there is no gap in the rear, and a small gap in the front when lowered on Spoon springs. Just my take and opinion.

BF59277C-763E-461A-B602-908C3C8CDFAA.jpeg
Is this the FL5 specific Spoon springs?

Do you have more photos of you car lowered? Do you have a Samsung phone you took the photos with? The green grass is intense lol.

FL5CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Is this the FL5 specific Spoon springs?

Do you have more photos of you car lowered? Do you have a Samsung phone you took the photos with? The green grass is intense lol.
These are FL5 specific springs. I don’t have any additional photos as it was recently lowered. I will snap a few in the next couple of days, and send them your way.

iPhone photos, just my wife’s expensive habit of feeding the grass a lot of water.

Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
These are FL5 specific springs. I don’t have any additional photos as it was recently lowered. I will snap a few in the next couple of days, and send them your way.

iPhone photos, just my wife’s expensive habit of feeding the grass a lot of water.
Thank you!

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
I have the same problem for a few months now...I think I've posted about the Eibach spring being very close to each other, so I literally isolated every coil with either Eibach CS5003 or CS 3003 (or something). but he noise still there on sharp compression. I think it is the bushings in the rear! It seems on warmer days, I don't hear to hear less, which leads to think the problem is temperature dependent. The only items in the system component that will expand and contract will be the bushing.

so try driving the car on ramp, than loosen the rear lower arm bolts, then let the car settle for a while...then proceed with getting under the car to re-torque of those lower control area bolts. Don't forget, these FL5 bushing supposed to be stiffer than the FK8, so maybe torqueing the lower control arm bolts while the car is on the lift is not a great idea, as performed with FK8 spring how to videos.? maybe...

FL5CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I have the same problem for a few months now...I think I've posted about the Eibach spring being very close to each other, so I literally isolated every coil with either Eibach CS5003 or CS 3003 (or something). but he noise still there on sharp compression. I think it is the bushings in the rear! It seems on warmer days, I don't hear to hear less, which leads to think the problem is temperature dependent. The only items in the system component that will expand and contract will be the bushing.

so try driving the car on ramp, than loosen the rear lower arm bolts, then let the car settle for a while...then proceed with getting under the car to re-torque of those lower control area bolts. Don't forget, these FL5 bushing supposed to be stiffer than the FK8, so maybe torqueing the lower control arm bolts while the car is on the lift is not a great idea, as performed with FK8 spring how to videos.? maybe...
I don’t have any noises. I preloaded the suspension while on the hoist and then torqued all bolts. I do remember Honda specifically noting that with any 2022 Civic and up, you must preload the suspension before tightening any fasteners. Try that and hope it eliminates the noise.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Swift springs should be very capable on track. Lots of coilovers use Swift springs as upgrades over the springs they come with by default (or their default springs are just rebranded Swift springs). The Ohlins R&T Coilovers I had on my M2 had Swift springs as an upgrade.

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
Swift springs should be very capable on track. Lots of coilovers use Swift springs as upgrades over the springs they come with by default (or their default springs are just rebranded Swift springs). The Ohlins R&T Coilovers I had on my M2 had Swift springs as an upgrade.
There's a difference between the standard linear rate springs they offer for coilovers and the progressive lowering spring that works on the stock shocks.

Ive used the standard springs on my BC coils on a previous car and they are great but when you can't adjust height and have to deal with what you have, their setup may not be optimal.

My home track is a oval with a road course in the infield, If the cars too low and you go from he infield to the banked corner you will scrape or need to take it at such an angle it will really slow you down.

Their springs at .5 or .75" drop would be much better imo but Id like to hear from others to prove me wrong too lol.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
There's a difference between the standard linear rate springs they offer for coilovers and the progressive lowering spring that works on the stock shocks.

Ive used the standard springs on my BC coils on a previous car and they are great but when you can't adjust height and have to deal with what you have, their setup may not be optimal.

My home track is a oval with a road course in the infield, If the cars too low and you go from he infield to the banked corner you will scrape or need to take it at such an angle it will really slow you down.

Their springs at .5 or .75" drop would be much better imo but Id like to hear from others to prove me wrong too lol.
I admit I didn't look and see that the Swift springs were progressive rates. I get what you are saying.

tezzasaurusrex

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: K20Z1 EK Civic, Golf R Mk7.5, B8 RS4
Build Thread
Link
I'm working with a friend's fab shop to have them made. I'm still yet to finalize the design as I'm not 100% happy with they way they sit against the vehicle's body. With these shims I can even fine tune the car's corner weight balance by tweaking the shim thickness.

11th Gen Honda Civic Spoon Springs vs Eibach? 20230627_174558

FL5CW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm working with a friend's fab shop to have them made. I'm still yet to finalize the design as I'm not 100% happy with they way they sit against the vehicle's body. With these shims I can even fine tune the car's corner weight balance by tweaking the shim thickness.

20230627_174558.jpg
Thats pretty awesome! You could have a potential market to fine tune things. Keep us posted..

👍

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
Looks Like there will be news today on the Eibach FL5 offering
Sponsored