• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Went in for an oil change... drove out with a Boost Blue 2024 Civic Type R

JETFIRE714

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mugen Si
On the Friday before Super Bowl LVIIII (2/9/24), my wife and I dropped off the kids to school and we were on our way to Disneyland but our Honda Clarity was 2 months past due for an oil change. We proceeded to Hardin Honda in Anaheim for an express oil change that would have taken about 30-40 minutes to complete. So I tell her lets check out the showroom and see how much the mark up is on the Type R. $46,345 + $1,495 ELO GPS + $495 Clear Shield (ppf for door cups, door edges, rear bumper) + $199 wheel locks + $5,000 mark up = $53,534. Frankly I was shocked with the $5k markup being somewhat low for Socal, I've seen $10,000 to $20,000 mark ups whenever I'm at the dealer getting parts, shopping for a Pilot in 2022 or shopping for a CRV for my Dad in 2023.

Only one salesman there that early in the day. So we start talking and I told him I'd like to buy the Type R for MSRP, no go. Then I said $1,000 mark up and I don't want to pay for any of the add ons and you throw in the Motocompacto, no go. $2,000 mark up, no add ons and I want a Motocompacto in the trunk, no go. Their final offer was $50,000 and no Motocompacto. My wife was good with the price and already on board to get the car but I couldn't do it. So I told them you have my information, I'm a serious buyer, let me know when you want to sell a car and we left the showroom to pickup our Clarity at their express service center across the street. A few minutes later, they showed up and they said Super Bowl weekend/Sunday will be one of the slowest weekends. There will be no one here on Sunday and they wanted to make a sale. I told them the most I wanted to pay was $48,845 ($2,500 mark up), they said the lowest they could do was $49,500 no Motocompacto. My wife's like just fkn buy it. In the end I got my Civic Type R for $49,500 at a $3,155 mark up or $2,461 mark up with the accessories in the color I wanted.

So that's how you go to a dealer for an oil change and leave with a Boost Blue 2024 Honda Civic Type R. It's not MSRP but I did consider buying one out of state for MSRP and having it shipped to California. In 2012, I bought a Mugen from a Ford dealer in Iowa and it cost about $1,100 to ship, not sure what the cost to ship from mid-west or the east coast would be today. Alternatively, I thought about buying from out of state and taking a road trip back home, but fearful of inclement weather like hail or getting a ticket from driving through multiple states and having more than 2,000 miles on the clock by the time I get it to a shop for PPF.

Back in the early 2000s I was driving a 1998 Integra RS and there was a blog called itrsport.com about a guy's 2000 Black Integra Type R, that's when I became aware of the Type R badge. Got a Civic Si in 2006, totaled in 2012 and replaced with a 2008 Mugen Si, which my son now drives. Used to post on 8thcivic and I think my username transferred over to this message board.

Because Type R.

11th Gen Honda Civic Went in for an oil change... drove out with a Boost Blue 2024 Civic Type R 20240209_134311

11th Gen Honda Civic Went in for an oil change... drove out with a Boost Blue 2024 Civic Type R 20240209_134051

11th Gen Honda Civic Went in for an oil change... drove out with a Boost Blue 2024 Civic Type R 20240209_123248

11th Gen Honda Civic Went in for an oil change... drove out with a Boost Blue 2024 Civic Type R 20240209_134311
Sponsored

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Civic Type R and many more...
Welcome and congratulations @JETFIRE714

Thank you for posting the pictures.

That's a job well done. You did better than me and I'm in Texas.

Enjoy in good health.

ItsMeNickG

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Beautiful and congrats!

Did they have the Motocompacto in stock there 🤔?

livestrong

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944
Enjoy a car story with a happy ending! Good negotiating lesson, and a pleasure to deal with a fair and honest dealership. I just purchased a Championship White Type R, from Huntington Honda, Long Island, Sebastian was flexible on the markup, never intended to leave that night with the car. I've owned Porsches for over 20 years, always bought previously loved ones. However the prices are taking the steerig wheel out of the hands of enthusiast's, are any of us left? The Type R first driving impressions, put that smile again on my face and I sit easier in those sports seats with a happier wallet. Congratulations'...

t1javelin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic type R, 2023 accord sport-L
On the Friday before Super Bowl LVIIII (2/9/24), my wife and I dropped off the kids to school and we were on our way to Disneyland but our Honda Clarity was 2 months past due for an oil change. We proceeded to Hardin Honda in Anaheim for an express oil change that would have taken about 30-40 minutes to complete. So I tell her lets check out the showroom and see how much the mark up is on the Type R. $46,345 + $1,495 ELO GPS + $495 Clear Shield (ppf for door cups, door edges, rear bumper) + $199 wheel locks + $5,000 mark up = $53,534. Frankly I was shocked with the $5k markup being somewhat low for Socal, I've seen $10,000 to $20,000 mark ups whenever I'm at the dealer getting parts, shopping for a Pilot in 2022 or shopping for a CRV for my Dad in 2023.

Only one salesman there that early in the day. So we start talking and I told him I'd like to buy the Type R for MSRP, no go. Then I said $1,000 mark up and I don't want to pay for any of the add ons and you throw in the Motocompacto, no go. $2,000 mark up, no add ons and I want a Motocompacto in the trunk, no go. Their final offer was $50,000 and no Motocompacto. My wife was good with the price and already on board to get the car but I couldn't do it. So I told them you have my information, I'm a serious buyer, let me know when you want to sell a car and we left the showroom to pickup our Clarity at their express service center across the street. A few minutes later, they showed up and they said Super Bowl weekend/Sunday will be one of the slowest weekends. There will be no one here on Sunday and they wanted to make a sale. I told them the most I wanted to pay was $48,845 ($2,500 mark up), they said the lowest they could do was $49,500 no Motocompacto. My wife's like just fkn buy it. In the end I got my Civic Type R for $49,500 at a $3,155 mark up or $2,461 mark up with the accessories in the color I wanted.

So that's how you go to a dealer for an oil change and leave with a Boost Blue 2024 Honda Civic Type R. It's not MSRP but I did consider buying one out of state for MSRP and having it shipped to California. In 2012, I bought a Mugen from a Ford dealer in Iowa and it cost about $1,100 to ship, not sure what the cost to ship from mid-west or the east coast would be today. Alternatively, I thought about buying from out of state and taking a road trip back home, but fearful of inclement weather like hail or getting a ticket from driving through multiple states and having more than 2,000 miles on the clock by the time I get it to a shop for PPF.

Back in the early 2000s I was driving a 1998 Integra RS and there was a blog called itrsport.com about a guy's 2000 Black Integra Type R, that's when I became aware of the Type R badge. Got a Civic Si in 2006, totaled in 2012 and replaced with a 2008 Mugen Si, which my son now drives. Used to post on 8thcivic and I think my username transferred over to this message board.

Because Type R.

20240209_134311.jpg

20240209_134051.jpg

20240209_123248.jpg

20240209_134311.jpg
Congrats, love that color. I paid $5k over back in August (central NJ, lots of $$around). You did good for your area. Owned quite a few BMW's (M3's) in the past, but the new ones are very expensive, very powerful, but very heavy. The FL5 is just a blast to drive. Superb combination of power, relatively light weight, and practicality. Good luck with it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rs3, S3
do dealers sometimes throw in the motocompacto on car deals? I never thought to use it as a negotiating tool, but I like how you negotiated.

OP
OP

JETFIRE714

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mugen Si
Thanks guys. Going from the 8th gen Mugen Civic Si to this is such a big jump. The Type R checks off so many boxes. I picked her up from the PPF installer (full front ppf) on friday and i've been able to drive her around on the freeway/sandblaster in SoCal. Still in comfort mode, not pushing it until I break it in with at least a 1,000 miles.

As for the Motocompacto, I just had it in my head that if I buy a Type R in 2024 and had to pay a mark up, I was going to try my best to have them throw one in or get it at their cost and treat it like an accessory for my new car purchase. There was a Motocompacto in their show room, unfortunately, the dealer had a waiting list with 20+ people on it and the Parts department couldn't even place a new order for one.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST-Line
Seems not bad for California - Mugen Si? has to be one of the best looking cars ever made (on the outside). The interior must be a nice improvement!

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Sounds like they really didn't want to let go of that Motocompacto.

Enjoy the CTR!

AJ28

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R CW, 2017 Civic SI
Congrats on the purchase! Well done on negotiating and not giving in. Also, you went to Disneyland without the kiddos on a Friday? Seems like a win all around :headbang: