• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What did you pay for your FL5?

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
:D

Are we talking about the same car?

Yes, “price gap”, as in most people are actually paying the same (or more) for the Type R than M2C (both f87 and g87).

So people are spending M2 money on a CTR and somehow the comparison isn’t fair?

It’s more than fair if you ask me. I get the appeal and I want the FL5 as much as the next guy, but at M2 price, you’re getting shortchanged because you’re definitely not getting M2 performance metrics.

This is not a diss against the CTR. Just know what you’re comparing if it’s at similar price points since MSRP on the CTR is a pipe dream for most.
I’m comparing MSRP of the FL5 in comparison to the MSRP of the F87 M2 when it was new, and I definitely said the comparison isn’t fair 🤷🏾‍♂️
Sponsored

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
:D

Are we talking about the same car?

Yes, “price gap”, as in most people are actually paying the same (or more) for the Type R than M2C (both f87 and g87).

So people are spending M2 money on a CTR and somehow the comparison isn’t fair?

It’s more than fair if you ask me. I get the appeal and I want the FL5 as much as the next guy, but at M2 price, you’re getting shortchanged because you’re definitely not getting M2 performance metrics.

This is not a diss against the CTR. Just know what you’re comparing if it’s at similar price points since MSRP on the CTR is a pipe dream for most.
MSRP on a new M2 is $62,000 compared to $45,000. OTD you’re almost at $70k on the M2. I guess you’ll have to speak for others, but I’m a long ways away from $70k on my FL5. Sure, a few are paying $20k+ over, but based on the number of cars that still seem to be unsold, people aren’t typically paying M2 money for a Type R.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack
MSRP on a new M2 is $62,000 compared to $45,000. OTD you’re almost at $70k on the M2. I guess you’ll have to speak for others, but I’m a long ways away from $70k on my FL5. Sure, a few are paying $20k+ over, but based on the number of cars that still seem to be unsold, people aren’t typically paying M2 money for a Type R.
No. That’s not the case at all.

All current gen M cars can be bought at MSRP with ease. (Exception for those limited models like CS or CSL). You just have to wait 3-6 months for delivery.

We know most FL5 owners paid somewhere close to $60k with ADM, which is M2 money, give or take a few grand. So OTD price is similar - if not the same - in most cases.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX

All current gen M cars can be bought at MSRP with ease. (Exception for those limited models like CS or CSL). You just have to wait 3-6 months for delivery.

We know most FL5 owners paid somewhere close to $60k with ADM, which is M2 money, give or take a few grand. So OTD price is similar - if not the same - in most cases.
Again, we’re talking about, in normal cases, at a minimum, a $10k OTD gap. Some of the garages I’ve seen new FL5’s sitting in, money is not a thought to them. If people are paying new M2 money, then they probably didn’t want a new M2. Again, I did not pay M2 money, because I should not be spending M2 money. Kudos to the ones that do tho 🍾

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR

Im sure if they wanted a M2 they would’ve bought one but they chose with their wallets.
Full disclosure: I am a M car owner, don’t let the username fool you.

Kuhal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 Honda Acty, '23 CT4-V Blackwing, '24 FL5

Aside from the fact that people might want a CTR instead of an M2 regardless of price, there's also the case that if you're going to wait 6 months for delivery then you might as well wait 6 months and get the CTR for MSRP or 5k ADM (prob 5k ADM in 6 mo).

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Im sure if they wanted an M2 they would’ve bought one but they chose with their wallets.
Full disclosure: I am an M car owner, don’t let the username fool you.
Exactly. I know people are paying M2 money for some of these, but those are the exception. And like you said, if they spent M2 money, but bought something else, they probably just wanted something else.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, we’re talking about, in normal cases, at a minimum, a $10k OTD gap. Some of the garages I’ve seen new FL5’s sitting in, money is not a thought to them. If people are paying new M2 money, then they probably didn’t want a new M2. Again, I did not pay M2 money, because I should not be spending M2 money. Kudos to the ones that do tho 🍾
Im sure if they wanted a M2 they would’ve bought one but they chose with their wallets.
Full disclosure: I am a M car owner, don’t let the username fool you.
I wasn’t suggesting that the CTR is not worth M2 money. That’s something I never implied. In fact, I’m willing to drop more on this car than I did on my 21 M2C (which I got for $55k new - about 9% off MSRP).

The point I was making was about expectations. Folks are in fact paying M2 money for this Type R, but when lap times are being discussed, I hear the same old argument about how the M2 costs much more. On paper, it does. In practice, it doesn’t. Most people are paying roughly M2 money for the CTR. If you want to argue that most people paid well under $60k, that’s fine, but I personally don’t think so based on the price gouging and ADM’s I’ve seen.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
I wasn’t suggesting that the CTR is not worth M2 money. That’s something I never implied. In fact, I’m willing to drop more on this car than I did on my 21 M2C (which I got for $55k new - about 9% off MSRP).

The point I was making was about expectations. Folks are in fact paying M2 money for this Type R, but when lap times are being discussed, I hear the same old argument about how the M2 costs much more. On paper, it does. In practice, it doesn’t. Most people are paying roughly M2 money for the CTR. If you want to argue that most people paid well under $60k, that’s fine, but I personally don’t think so based on the price gouging and ADM’s I’ve seen.
Maan why you ain't say that from the jump lol. From the little I know average OTD price is $58k-$60k which is M2 money so you're right there. it will go down as the gets easier to acquire as I'm sure you're aware. But that 2023 M2 can't hold a candle to the F87 M2 in terms of looks. The design language BMW is moving forward with currently, makes me content with my F82 M4C

OP
OP

randomFL5guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru

It’s only been 2 weeks since the car hit dealers, so I don’t think it’s fair to say what this first set of owners paid for the car is what is to be the expected price moving forward. These are early adopters who are willing to pay very high prices to be first.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maan why you ain't say that from the jump lol. From the little I know average OTD price is $58k-$60k which is M2 money so you're right there. it will go down as the gets easier to acquire as I'm sure you're aware. But that 2023 M2 can't hold a candle to the F87 M2 in terms of looks. The design language BMW is moving forward with currently, makes me content with my F82 M4C
I wasn’t a fan of the new M2 when it debuted, but I’m slowly starting to like the angular and bulky appearance. The G80 M3 on the other hand I never got used to lol

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
I wasn’t a fan of the new M2 when it debuted, but I’m slowly starting to like the angular and bulky appearance. The G80 M3 on the other hand I never got used to lol
Interesting, I am the exact opposite: still think the new M2 is ugly as sin, but think I could live with the buck-toothed G80...

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
The M2 also has 100 more hp, costs over $10k more and is less practical than the Type R. The comparison isn't fair, but it illustrates how much farther above its weight class the Type R punches.
Don't forget that it weighs almost 700 lbs more too 🤭

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Man I personally think the G80 M3 is one of the best looking cars you can buy. The big grilles look like shit in the non M car, but damn that M3 is beautiful.