• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do sneakers count if I put wheels on them?
This comparison is amazing. Exactly what I was looking to see. Can't wait to get mine next year.

We do have 93 octane here with no ethanol and 94 octane with up to 10% ethanol.

I think like others, flash pro will be one of my first mods but probably giving it a couple years in stock form

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Given the octane discussion, and the Honda news page that says premium is preferred, I wonder what that curve looks like with 87 🤔

87GN

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Accord 2.0T Touring 1987 Buick Grand Nationa
Given the octane discussion, and the Honda news page that says premium is preferred, I wonder what that curve looks like with 87 🤔
Knock, knock, Who's there? Detonation!!! Massive timing pull

Toprarnen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS350
Knock, knock, Who's there? Detonation!!! Massive timing pull
Do you think that'll really happen with a compression ratio of 9.8:1? Honda's official manual does say regular is ok
In Australia we have 98 octane...Shell V-Power and others.
I vaguely remember some discussion around the fact that our octane measurements are different, so your 98 is like our 91 or something

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Wait so w/ 93 octane there'd be no torque dip?
So basically that "torque dip" your seeing which I wouldn't call a dip at all is a result of the wastegate trying to gain boost control. It's nothing to be concerned about and you can't fix it with octane. It'll pretty much always happen but you will never feel it in the car. It's based on what gear your in and the load on the turbo. You can try to tune it out so it's perfectly flat but again, not a issue. Once the wastegate has control it smooths out.

N/A motors won't see a dip there because there is no boost to control.

typeR4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do sneakers count if I put wheels on them?
For those wondering about the dip in torque. There's a smaller dip in the Puerto Rico Dyno. They ran 93 octane.

But again, take it with a grain of salt unless Hondata or someone else can run both on the same dyno

11th Gen Honda Civic 2023 Honda Civic Type R Dyno Results - Hondata FL5 Screenshot_20221109-182647

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Do you think that'll really happen with a compression ratio of 9.8:1? Honda's official manual does say regular is ok

I vaguely remember some discussion around the fact that our octane measurements are different, so your 98 is like our 91 or something
Correct 98 in Australia is 91 in the US, its the way octane is measured AKI VS RON.

Reactions: JBO

Modular Cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 #581, 04 GSX-R600
Hahaha.

Obviously you can have dips from timing changes and KR corrections on N/A motors. Just stating my opinion on whats going on on that graph.
I know, I'm just being dumb while waiting for mine to be delayed to the east coast again 😆😢.

I remember hearing that the FK8 we received in the US was the same as in other places where it had more power, the computer just compensated for the lower octane. It was said that if you used the higher octane, it would make the extra 10hp as everywhere else. Supposedly, this was a Honda engineer that said this and I don't know where that information came from now. I wonder if that is the case with the FL5 (if it was even the case with the FK8)? I didn't put too much stock into it, but it would be interesting to test.

87GN

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Accord 2.0T Touring 1987 Buick Grand Nationa

Lower octane will result in lower hp and less timing. Probably some knock counts as compared to 91/93 octane (US).
Sponsored