• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

87GN

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Accord 2.0T Touring 1987 Buick Grand Nationa
I wouldn't consider crank because you are still dealing with drive train loss.

I think dyno rollers are doing a bit of estimation to a degree. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed more light.
You take out traction /tire issues when bolting to the wheel hubs.
Sponsored

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06
Are there any differences between the engine hardware in the FK8 vs the FL5 or is it just tuning?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
The turbo is a different part number from the FK8.
Do you plan to perform a full tear down of both turbos for comparison purposes? Have you noticed any differences thus far between the two?

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec

Looks like tune is coming soon

Type Gts R

First Name
Juan Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Fl5 R
The first Fl5 tuned only made about 10whp with the boost turned up. While it gained a decent amount of torque, around 55-60 tq, it did get a broader curve over all but yeah not much for the top end unfortunately. The new turbos are very small and run out of breathe up top. Honda really focused on response and reducing turbo lag but at the cost of little gains to be made with increased psi.
Honda really screwed over the aftermarket with this baby turbo.

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
The first Fl5 tuned only made about 10whp with the boost turned up. While it gained a decent amount of torque, around 55-60 tq, it did get a broader curve over all but yeah not much for the top end unfortunately. The new turbos are very small and run out of breathe up top. Honda really focused on response and reducing turbo lag but at the cost of little gains to be made with increased psi.
Ill take a mild 91 octane tune with a side of prl intake and a milltek exhaust for desert. High 300s whp / trq works for me. Come on Hondata.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R
I'm not following this post. When you say "the first FL5 tuned only made about 10whp with the boost turned up." which FL5 are you referring to? Who tuned it? Where's the dyno chart? 10whp where? In the mid-range? Peak hp? Same questions for the tq.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

Looks like tune is coming soon
Thanks for sharing this Doug. Any plans to take measurements of both turbos (cold side and hot side)? Is the wastegate the same for both turbos? What about intercooler piping and dimensions of the intercooler itself?

Icehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR #3177
Yeah, looks like if you need more boost for more power it's going to take a new turbo - that's ok, IMO better to chase efficiencies first if you aren't looking for huge increases. A new intake, DP, etc should give modest gains. Beyond that the prices just spiral with the need for bigger FP, injectors, it goes on and on. Not really my jam TBH.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yeah, I totally understand people wanting moar powar, but for me 300+ hp and 300+ tq in a Civic, with factory warranty, is like a dream come true in itself.😂
Sponsored