• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Yeah I don't know about the final drive change being done to mitigate wheelspin i have never heard of a manufacturer doing that did a Honda engineer state that or is that a hunch? And if so why not just change the ratios of the first two gears? Why penalize acceleration in 3/4/5? With 265s on my FK8 I can lay into second for the most part I don't think a stock FL5 would have issues on 265s with the suspension improvements.
Sponsored

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
...Should I just do a tune and a few suspension mods and pretend the FL5 doesn't exist? Ughhh, the Type R is so so sexy though....
Still doesn't beat the genuine article...you'll still have a small splinter in your heart

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #1348 (Sold), FL5 #682
Question SG:
since the spring is essentially the same as the FK8, is it safe to order a set of lowering spring from the FK8 catalog? kinda like Honda Pro Jason at Button Willow...Spoon seems to have a set of springs ready to go, so are they the same as the Spoon Fk8 springs?

wl222516

First Name
Weiyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Absolutely. There is nothing that stands out as an improvement in the new FL5, but it is the sum of subtle improvements and exterior styling changes that make the FL5 an amazing car. Would I pay the asking MSRP for it? In a heartbeat. But would I spend upwards of the asking ~10k or more markup? Probably not, because at that price point, the playing field opens up and there are a lot of other compelling competitors.
I'm genuinely curious about what options do I have with 54 55k if I want a fun, good manual transmission, and super practical car. Could you list out a few?

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
I'm genuinely curious about what options do I have with 54 55k if I want a fun, good manual transmission, and super practical car. Could you list out a few?
Considering that (IMO) Volkswagen manual gearboxes are trash, there really is no substitute for a Type Rā€™s combination of top tier gearbox, driving dynamics/performance, and practicality. The Elantra N is a decent choice if you can get past its looks and lack of hatchback practicality. At no price point above the Type R is there a competitor either: The BMW M carsā€™ rubbery-feeling manuals donā€™t come close to the Hondasā€™ feel, and theyā€™re an impractical (compared to a hatch) shape. The GR Corolla is small, and might not be available to be purchased anymore either.

Last edited:

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
Elantra N (one of the best cars in its price range if you can stomach the exterior styling)
GR Corolla (great lil hot hatch, small cabin, non premium material)
FL5 CTR (ADM is outrageous, but definitely worth it if you can get it at sticker price)
Golf R (user unfriendly infotainment, but it can still do everything very well)
Golf GTI (same as Golf R, fully loaded spec is great, but then price not too far off from the R, rather spend a few more and get AWD and 315hp)
Subaru WRX (punchy boxer engine, all season beast, stiff ride, slightly below par interior)
Civic Si (underpowered 1.5L engine, not as fast as others but still fun though)
Acura Integra (premium Si, gets expensive and does not offer as much as other competitors)
Subaru BRZ/ Toyota 86 (poor man's 911, super fun RWD car, proves you don't need insane power to enjoy driving, unsuitable year round DD)
Mazda Miata MX-5 (Slightly underpowered than competitors, but still offers an exhilarating driving experience cus you can experience the entire rev and hp range)

Question is, what pros are important to you and what cons are you willing to live with

wl222516

First Name
Weiyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Considering that (IMO) Volkswagen manual gearboxes are trash, there really is no substitute for a Type Rā€™s combination of top tier gearbox, driving dynamics/performance, and practicality. The Elantra N is a decent choice if you can get past its looks and lack of hatchback practicality. At no price point above the Type R is there is competitor either: The BMW M carsā€™ rubbery-feeling manuals donā€™t come close to the Hondasā€™ feel, and theyā€™re an impractical (compared to a hatch) shape. The GR Corolla is small, and might not be available to be purchased anymore either.
I did cross-shop between the Elantra N when I was considering my fk8. but ultimately the comment about the gearbox being not great put me off (At the time Hyundai was doing engine recalls and dealing with Child labor lol). I love hatchbacks and I'm still waiting to see more reviews on the GR Corolla (what is like dailying it ).

wl222516

First Name
Weiyang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Elantra N (one of the best cars in its price range if you can stomach the exterior styling)
GR Corolla (great lil hot hatch, small cabin, non premium material)
FL5 CTR (ADM is outrageous, but definitely worth it if you can get it at sticker price)
Golf R (user unfriendly infotainment, but it can still do everything very well)
Golf GTI (same as Golf R, fully loaded spec is great, but then price not too far off from the R, rather spend a few more and get AWD and 315hp)
Subaru WRX (punchy boxer engine, all season beast, stiff ride, slightly below par interior)
Civic Si (underpowered 1.5L engine, not as fast as others but still fun though)
Acura Integra (premium Si, gets expensive and does not offer as much as other competitors)
Subaru BRZ/ Toyota 86 (poor man's 911, super fun RWD car, proves you don't need insane power to enjoy driving, unsuitable year round DD)
Mazda Miata MX-5 (Slightly underpowered than competitors, but still offers an exhilarating driving experience cus you can experience the entire rev and hp range)

Question is, what pros are important to you and what cons are you willing to live with
Thank you for giving me a detailed list.
I came from the 86 platform so I wanted something with a bit more power.
I'm still waiting for more reviews of GR Corolla on the street and what is like living with it.
Golf R is a good competitor at that price point.

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
Thank you for giving me a detailed list.
I came from the 86 platform so I wanted something with a bit more power.
I'm still waiting for more reviews of GR Corolla on the street and what is like living with it.
Golf R is a good competitor at that price point.
I'm in Canada and we're only getting 546 CTRs over 3 years, so the likelihood of getting a CTR is slim. I've already put a down for the Golf R myself. 315hp, AWD, heated/ventilated seats and steering, decent manual shifter. Its a win. There are a few software kinks currently, but my wait time is almost a year, so I expect most of them to be resolved by then.

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Winter beater currently
I'm in Canada and we're only getting 546 CTRs over 3 years, so the likelihood of getting a CTR is slim. I've already put a down for the Golf R myself. 315hp, AWD, heated/ventilated seats and steering, decent manual shifter. Its a win. There are a few software kinks currently, but my wait time is almost a year, so I expect most of them to be resolved by then.
The MK8.5 Golf R should be great, interior-wise too. I believe VW has admitted they were wrong with the over-usage of capacitive touch buttons and it will be rectified.

ssheff55

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
The MK8.5 Golf R should be great, interior-wise too. I believe VW has admitted they were wrong with the over-usage of capacitive touch buttons and it will be rectified.
I really like the way the Golf R looks. Always have. But for whatever reason, the car just doesnā€™t pull me in like the Type R does. FK8 and FL5 both. They just do something the Golf R does not for me.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I think Golf R is a better over all livable car. It works better as a DSG than manual imo. Comes with torque vectoring rear diff, parking sensors, heated/ventilated seats, rear climate control and over 10 adjustable settings for damping. I just tend to like the wide body look of the Type R more, enough so that I can over look its straight line speed. Also I just don't like the hybrid squinted look of the mk8 in general.
mk8.5 models are getting a bigger screen and buttons are coming back to the steering wheel so that might be a good option if you can find one.

11th Gen Honda Civic Thoughts on FL5 vs FK8 (by savagegeese) 1668698645620

Stick_shifter96

First Name
Shaurya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a FL5
I think Golf R is a better over all livable car. It works better as a DSG than manual imo. Comes with torque vectoring rear diff, parking sensors, heated/ventilated seats, rear climate control and over 10 adjustable settings for damping. I just tend to like the wide body look of the Type R more, enough so that I can over look its straight line speed. Also I just don't like the hybrid squinted look of the mk8 in general.
mk8.5 models are getting a bigger screen and buttons are coming back to the steering wheel so that might be a good option if you can find one.

1668698645620.png
A bigger screen like that would just eat up into the windscreen real estate and might prove to be a greater distraction. And personally, I don't care about the touch controls. Phones came with buttons before, but now you cannot imagine a phone with physical buttons on it. Its just a learning curve which you have to embrace.

Geezer

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
FL5 vs FK8 FDR comparison

Found this on Reddit. A great side by side data based comparison.

1668698502994.png
Negligible difference plus the FL5 makes more torque everywhere. Certainly not enough of a disadvantage to get pulled by multiple car lengths. I still contend that the blue FK8 TH had is quicker than your average stock FK8 for whatever reason.
Sponsored