• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Best insurance for Type R

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2002 Honda CR-V
Hi guys,

I finally secured financing for a Type R this Monday and now the waiting game begins. In the meantime, I'm looking for viable options for insurance; my old car is registered with State Farm so I got a quote from them for full coverage around $200/ month for 0 deductibles, $160/month for 2k deductibles on both collision and comprehensive coverages, alongwith the state minimum liability coverage for Maine. I got my driver's license in the US in 2019 and have owned a car since 2021 plus I'm 23 so not a lot of stuff going in my favor other than no accidents and tickets.

Just wanted to know from the experienced folk what their experiences were and if it would be more beneficial to look elsewhere. I cannot change my old car's insurance because State Farm gave me the best deal on that one, just wanted to know if other agencies would possibly provide a better deal or not. Don't really want to get bombarded with insurance agent calls so just checking in here to get an idea first, before going ahead and getting quotes.

Regards,

Vivek.
Sponsored

ScumbagRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
There are so many variables that go into insurance premium that the only way to know for your specific situation is to get a bunch of quotes and compare them. Pick the largest major companies (State Farm, Geico, Progressive, Nationwide) and get an online quote, and go with whoever is cheapest.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
1) Be aware that "minimum liability coverage" may only be for your state (no out of state coverage). Be sure to check also that you have coverage if you visit Canada.
2) Don't limit yourself, get a quote to cover both vehicles; you may get a better deal.

Last edited:

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Don’t get zero deductible insurance especially if you’re a safe driver. It’s best to handle the occasional minor incidents below like $1500 out of pocket. The reason being is that even if you use your insurance for a minor $300 repair like a chipped windshield, your insurance counts this against you…which can drive your premiums up. Use your insurance for major things. Set aside some money to take care of minor stuff. Also, find yourself a good independent insurance agent. It is their job to shop the best prices for you and your needs. I’ve built a very good relationship with my independent insurance agent. He has taught me A LOT over the years about pricing and how insurance works behind the scenes. Working directly with an insurance company, you won’t get this kind of service.

OP
OP
VPMotors

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all for your advice. At the moment I am comparing online quotes but once I have an actual delivery date rather than an ETA which 99% would be delayed, I would go ahead and get the best one for the money. So far Progressive is giving me the best rates but only because it doesn't have a Type R in their vehicle models. Entering the VIN as well doesn't change anything, so hopefully that's the time when "it's just a Civic" plays to our benefit lol.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Get a quote from a local independent insurance agent. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised by how much money they can save you! No joke. I guess I didn’t explain that important point too well earlier. I’ll never go directly to an insurance company again.

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Can you go on your parents policy? That will save you tons of money. Damn you're a youngin!

OP
OP
VPMotors

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you go on your parents policy? That will save you tons of money. Damn you're a youngin!
I wish! My parents are in India though. I am an international student.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, LS Swapped FC3S
I'm an old man by comparison (37 + married) so my insurance at State Farm is pretty cheap. It's a little over $50 per month for high coverage and a $100 comprehensive deductible. Like many have said it varies a lot per region but definitely shop around.

When I was in my 20's and drove an S2000 insurance was not cheap. It's just part of being a car enthusiast at your age.

Last edited:

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Call around to see what others offer. Typically if you bundled home owners, renters, and/or auto insurance you’ll get better rates.

trucke

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2022 Civic Si; 87 Corolla FX16 GT-S
Just an FYI. A co-worker smacked a deer a couple of weeks ago with his 2021 Subaru STi. He has Progressive for insurance. Repair costs are averaging $7,200. Progressive is offering $1,800. Way below the cost of parts and forcing aftermarket parts be used. Local auto body shops will not work on a car covered by Progressive until paid in full. The autobody shops say the best insurance companies for claims are Geico, USAA, State Farm and Farm Bureau.
Getting the lowest price might not be the best. My FK8 is covered by State Farm.
Just something to think about.

AspecR

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR
Just an FYI. A co-worker smacked a deer a couple of weeks ago with his 2021 Subaru STi. He has Progressive for insurance. Repair costs are averaging $7,200. Progressive is offering $1,800. Way below the cost of parts and forcing aftermarket parts be used. Local auto body shops will not work on a car covered by Progressive until paid in full. The autobody shops say the best insurance companies for claims are Geico, USAA, State Farm and Farm Bureau.
Getting the lowest price might not be the best. My FK8 is covered by State Farm.
Just something to think about.
I can confirm that the Collision center staff at my dealership love working with Geico and State Farm. Not sure about the others but when I ask them they say those 2 companies are the easiest to deal with and the quickest to cover costs without headaches.

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
Thank you all for your advice. At the moment I am comparing online quotes but once I have an actual delivery date rather than an ETA which 99% would be delayed, I would go ahead and get the best one for the money. So far Progressive is giving me the best rates but only because it doesn't have a Type R in their vehicle models. Entering the VIN as well doesn't change anything, so hopefully that's the time when "it's just a Civic" plays to our benefit lol.
Don’t bet on the just a civic thing. They know what they are insuring - trust me!

OP
OP
VPMotors

VPMotors

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t bet on the just a civic thing. They know what they are insuring - trust me!
Yes you're correct, but I couldn't help but wonder that even after putting in the VIN Progressive quoted me $71 per month for full coverage, $750 deductible for both Collision and Comprehensive coverage. Too good to be true unless they think it's just a Civic.
Sponsored