• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Can 3-seat rear bench from Civic hatchback be fitted to FL5?

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
I'm not an engineer, but I understand the FL5 has been sold as a 4-passenger vehicle in light of load rating concerns. It wouldn't be difficult to overload the car with 4 large adults, but I doubt 3 kids in car seats will even come close. That said, they're your kids, your passengers. Do what you're comfortable with. There are a lot of risk decisions to be made out there.
Thanks for providing your professional insights! Maybe the better use case is that someone else's kid is in the "new" 3rd seat and they are injured or worse in an accident. From what you said, you could be at more risk of being sued because you put a kid in a car seat in a third seat that Honda never designed to be there (in this variant of Civic)...?
Sponsored

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Thanks for providing your professional insights! Maybe the better use case is that someone else's kid is in the "new" 3rd seat and they are injured or worse in an accident. From what you said, you could be at more risk of being sued because you put a kid in a car seat in a third seat that Honda never designed to be there (in this variant of Civic)...?
You increase your risk of being sued when you pull the car out of the garage, with each passenger that gets in, with every mile you drive, and the faster you go.

Personally, if you got into an accident with someone else's kid in the car, I'd expect to get sued, whether that kid is passenger #2 or #5... but I'm also biased. People can't possibly be as lawsuit-happy as I assume they are, right? 😆

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
People can't possibly be as lawsuit-happy as I assume they are, right? 😆
Depends. Are you worth suing. If the answer is yes, people are going to come take what they think you owe them. Don’t wanna be sued? Be poor. 🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️😂

fredzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sienna, GR86, FL5
I am an engineer, and while I'm not giving anyone any recommendation about what they should do, I can say that I personally have zero concern about the safety of any center seat passenger in my modified FL5 as compared to a regular Civic hatchback.

I'll just be sure not to exceed the GVWR, and if I do I'll avoid trying to hit top speed :)
Sponsored