• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

ECU Tuning options - Hondata / Ktuner / Other?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic Type R

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
As far as I know, nobody has been able to tune the FL5 ECU yet.

I'd love to be proven wrong. :D I'm ready to REALLY have some fun with the car.

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
Gonna be a massive letdown if this ecu cannot be unlocked. New Supra has a bosch ecu and you have to clone factory ecu to an unlocked ecu to tune. Turns a relatively cheap upgrade to a freaking expensive one. Nobody can have anything fun anymore.

Last edited:

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
Gonna be a massive letdown if this ecu cannot be unlocked. New Supra has a bosch ecu and you have to clone factory ecu to an unlocked ecu to tune. Turns a relatively cheap upgrade to a freaking expensive one. Nobody can have anything fun anymore.

Yup the only reason why I decided not to get an A90/91 Supra. Having to pay to ship your ECU to Finland just to unlock it. Buy EcuTek or BootMod3 tuning software. Then on top pay for someone to tune it.

You're in the hole for about $5500 just for that part. lol

saGOD

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R | 2020 KIA Sedona
Yup the only reason why I decided not to get an A90/91 Supra. Having to pay to ship your ECU to Finland just to unlock it. Buy EcuTek or BootMod3 tuning software. Then on top pay for someone to tune it.

You're in the hole for about $5500 just for that part. lol
I didn't know that. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

SKINNIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ISF, 23' BB FL5
Yea crazy since we're one of such a "technologically advanced" country, nobody in the US can't crack an ECU. lol

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
I didn't know that. Looks like I dodged a bullet.
If you own a FL5 you may not have dodged that bullet. Nobody has cracked it yet. Car has been out since October and not one company has published an update on tuning. A little concerning.

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
"Nobody has cracked it yet." I mean hardly anyone that wants the car even has the car. I am confident Hondata will have a solution before end of year on the tuning side and probably much sooner. They just posted a larger update on fueling solutions for the 1.5T so they may have more development resources available to crack it now. WIth just over 1000 cars in the US, the market isnt even that large to dump more time in it at this point.

There's also no specific intakes and 2 exhausts for the car either, is that concerning?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
With the EPA cracking down on aftermarket parts I wouldn't be surprised if car coampanies are going to start encrypting the ECU's with insane coding just to keep us away from tuning.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Integra 6spd A-Spec
With the EPA cracking down on aftermarket parts I wouldn't be surprised if car coampanies are going to start encrypting the ECU's with insane coding just to keep us away from tuning.
That and do what Tesla does with OTA updates

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
Sorry but intakes and exhausts are a bad comparison. It takes multiple prototypes and iterations to bring an intake or exhaust to market. Ecu tuning is cracking an encryption and altering fueling and timing. Not prototyping a product. Google new bosch ecu untunable. Manufacturers don't want people to have access to "safety" electronics etc. So yes, 6 months and no tune on an established platform with a slightly different turbo IS concerning.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Perhaps @Hondata would like to offer their input?

dandaman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 RDX, 2023 Type R
Sorry but intakes and exhausts are a bad comparison. It takes multiple prototypes and iterations to bring an intake or exhaust to market. Ecu tuning is cracking an encryption and altering fueling and timing. Not prototyping a product. Google new bosch ecu untunable. Manufacturers don't want people to have access to "safety" electronics etc. So yes, 6 months and no tune on an established platform with a slightly different turbo IS concerning.
It takes multiple iterations and trials to crack an ECU code as well. Hondata has not worked with this before and this is unique to the 11th gen. How is it an established platform already? The entire ECU is completely different and updated vs FK8 and 11th gen SI. These things take time but its not impossible.
Sponsored