• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

BuntaTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Civic Type R, Tesla M3P, 08STi, S2k,Rsx-S
Guys, wanted to share my thoughts on basic track prep and track essentials. Made a video following my experience at CMP this past weekend. Anything else you guys can think of that I missed?

great info as always. I am copying your cooling and braking system.

what was your thought process for getting the AP racing braking vs Paragon BBK? i see that you have the Paragon brake pads but didn't use Paragon big brake kit calipers.

I see that your wheel is 18s. what is the offset size of those?
Sponsored

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
You will get a code with the thermostat. You will need to turn it off. Also the coolant temp will be lower but will still climb in track.
So... low temp thermostat probably isn't worth the install?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
So, looking for feedback on my plan, the more experience based, the better. As part of a track build plan, I've ordered a HEL oil cooler, PWR race version radiator, and a Hybrid Racing low-temp coolant thermostat to address engine cooling concerns. However, do I remember reading that the low-temp thermostat and race radiator combo might be a bit too much, preventing coolant temps to come up where they should be, and cause the car to throw a code warning about low temps?​
great info as always. I am copying your cooling and braking system.

what was your thought process for getting the AP racing braking vs Paragon BBK? i see that you have the Paragon brake pads but didn't use Paragon big brake kit calipers.

I see that your wheel is 18s. what is the offset size of those?
I seem to remember at one point when I was doing research on BBK's that I found that the Paragon kit was made in China. I could be wrong, and this may not be the case, but I know for sure that the rotors are based on previous research. I'm not a fan of Chinese quality control, and do my best to avoid products constructed in that country. (Just personal preference). AP/Essex is overpriced, and I'm sure they didn't start out that way, but proven products tend to increase in price as the years go on. They're tried and true, and track proven. The Essex rotors are made here in the United States (So is GiroDisc). The Paragon brake pads are made by Wimax in Japan (I'm very comfortable with Japanese quality). These were the reasons behind my decision.

I no longer use the Paragon pads for the front's (I use Ferodo DS3.12's), but I do use Paragon's in the rear, and they seem to stand up pretty well!

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I'm doing a little track prep today myself! Removing the front brake backing plates, installing a new set of DS3.12's and tossing in a set of paragon titanium shims.

gregjayj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 STi
I seem to remember at one point when I was doing research on BBK's that I found that the Paragon kit was made in China. I could be wrong, and this may not be the case, but I know for sure that the rotors are based on previous research. I'm not a fan of Chinese quality control, and do my best to avoid products constructed in that country. (Just personal preference). AP/Essex is overpriced, and I'm sure they didn't start out that way, but proven products tend to increase in price as the years go on. They're tried and true, and track proven. The Essex rotors are made here in the United States (So is GiroDisc). The Paragon brake pads are made by Wimax in Japan (I'm very comfortable with Japanese quality). These were the reasons behind my decision.

I no longer use the Paragon pads for the front's (I use Ferodo DS3.12's), but I do use Paragon's in the rear, and they seem to stand up pretty well!
Is there a reason why you are ditching Paragon pads for the fronts?

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Well you will have a lower starting point so you have a bit more time until temps get critical.
And the temp warning could be addressed when I get together with you for a tune later in the year...

Car00071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I'm doing a little track prep today myself! Removing the front brake backing plates, installing a new set of DS3.12's and tossing in a set of paragon titanium shims.
I cant remember if you do or don't, but do you remove the little rain guard under the hood scoop for track days?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Track prep complete! Removed the backing plates and added thermal protection to the vehicle speed sensors and the part of the brake line closest to the rotors! Tossed in a set of brand new DS3.12's and Paragon titanium shims. Oh, and a quick toe n go!

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Track Prep PXL_20240229_195808682

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Track Prep PXL_20240229_192043208

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Track Prep PXL_20240229_190543314.MP

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Track Prep PXL_20240229_191602282

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Track Prep PXL_20240229_191921472

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Track Prep PXL_20240229_193541074

rBobby

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R
Looking good. Do you think the tie rod and ball joint boots will need some heat protection?

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Looking good. Do you think the tie rod and ball joint boots will need some heat protection?
They're tougher than they look, but yes, and developing a solution for that might be tricky.

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're tougher than they look, but yes, and developing a solution for that might be tricky.
I had a buddy who worked on my Evo 8 TT car, and after the 3rd set of Whiteline balljoint boots getting scorched, fabbed a nice little metal shield for them. Worked great from there on out.
Sponsored