• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

*The FL5 Track Junkie Thread*

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Overheating question:

With a totally stock setup (minus brake fluid and pads) at what temp (either water or oil) should you ease up and possibly do a cool down lap before going hard at it again?
Before I come up with a number...What is your level of experience, and what type of climate are you racing in?
Sponsored

Sooner1

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 CTR BB, 2015 Audi A3, 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid
Before I come up with a number...What is your level of experience, and what type of climate are you racing in?
Climate: Possibly up to 90 degrees (hard to say what the temp will be in Kansas City in June) plus I could do another event in July/August and it could easily be mid 90s then.

Experience: around 50 track days in Audi's and a prepped 911 (1990 964 C2, gutted interior, track tires, upgraded brakes). Most of the track days were in the 911 but the last one was over a decade ago. Have only done 1 track day in the FL5 and it misted all day. This year the first day or so will certainly be a get to know you period.

I plan on doing 2 HPDE weekends and a full season of SCCA autocross this summer.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Climate: Possibly up to 90 degrees (hard to say what the temp will be in Kansas City in June) plus I could do another event in July/August and it could easily be mid 90s then.

Experience: around 50 track days in Audi's and a prepped 911 (1990 964 C2, gutted interior, track tires, upgraded brakes). Most of the track days were in the 911 but the last one was over a decade ago. Have only done 1 track day in the FL5 and it misted all day. This year the first day or so will certainly be a get to know you period.
I hardly pay attention to the oil temps, and mainly focus on water temp. Try not to push past 232 degrees on the ECT you could stretch to 235. The reason I don't pay too much mind to the oil temps is because it's an estimation, also modern synthetics can handle some pretty serious heat without severe degradation. I'm religious about changing my oil after each track weekend. Be sure to run the heater in the car on full blast with the a/c set to off, and remove the tray underneath the hood vent.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Let's see some track videos guys! I can't be the only one that's done track days this year!

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2022 Odyssey
Let's see some track videos guys! I can't be the only one that's done track days this year!
You were the warning we all needed :drive:

Kidding of course, but yesterday's high was 42. Still waiting... 2 more weeks!

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
You were the warning we all needed :drive:

Kidding of course, but yesterday's high was 42. Still waiting... 2 more weeks!
I should have another one coming up around Memorial Day!

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in a FL5 or co-driving or something else? I have NCM Motorsports Park coming up in a few weeks.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Back in a FL5 or co-driving or something else? I have NCM Motorsports Park coming up in a few weeks.
I'm not entirely sure what I'll be driving just yet.

svvitch

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I saw some 275/30 but I think that would be too wide on a 9.5" wheel. A052 might have the same tread width as the PS4 anyway.
Sponsored