• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Guys, wanted to share my thoughts on basic track prep and track essentials. Made a video following my experience at CMP this past weekend. Anything else you guys can think of that I missed?

Sponsored

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Appreciate the video, one question I had as a newbie was the oil change intervals. Obviously its a good idea to put in fresh oil before a track day but how do you know when you should change it before and afterwards?

I do know that aggressive driving does drive down oil life, and with tracking driving it probably kills it. I know that with my GT350 manual it recommends a 1,500 - 3,000 mile interval for oil changes with aggressive driving as opposed to the 5,000 - 7,500 for non aggressive driving

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Guys, wanted to share my thoughts on basic track prep and track essentials. Made a video following my experience at CMP this past weekend. Anything else you guys can think of that I missed?

Very well done! I subscribed too! I think you covered most of the bases.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Appreciate the video, one question I had as a newbie was the oil change intervals. Obviously its a good idea to put in fresh oil before a track day but how do you know when you should change it before and afterwards?

I do know that aggressive driving does drive down oil life, and with tracking driving it probably kills it. I know that with my GT350 manual it recommends a 1,500 - 3,000 mile interval for oil changes with aggressive driving as opposed to the 5,000 - 7,500 for non aggressive driving
It really depends on what oil you use since some hold up better than others. I try to keep my oil changes to 3k miles at the most since its cheap insurance for keeping the engine happy. Also if tracking the car you might want to increase the viscosity since at higher temps the oil shears and becomes thinner.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R

I did not change it before this event, but I did change it today. I usually change it after each track event.

Nakholmen1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R

Great video!

I recently took my FL5 to Road America twice - it ran a 2:34.6 - which I'm told is a decent time for a Cayman GT4. I posted the video on youtube "2023 Civic Type R at Road America"

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 , Civic Type R
Great video!

I recently took my FL5 to Road America twice - it ran a 2:34.6 - which I'm told is a decent time for a Cayman GT4. I posted the video on youtube "2023 Civic Type R at Road America"
May not mean much but Ive been lurking around on the GT4 forums (I'm considering getting one) and on their forums is a mega post for unofficial fastest lap times at different tracks and the record for Road America is 2:28.11

So that does seem about right for the average being around the time you got. The car had suspension modifications and Hoosier R7s which are racing slicks I'm pretty sure. It was in a 718 so it could have been with the PDK also. Either way thats really impressive because you were hauling some serious ass šŸ˜…

Last edited:
OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Great video!

I encourage as many that are willing, to embarrass any Porsche at any outset possible! Good job, Sir!

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I encourage as many that are willing, to embarrass any Porsche at any outset possible! Good job, Sir!
At the last auto X when I was 2 seconds off a GT3 I was impressed. On stickier tires I might give them a run for their money at a 1/4 of the price. Still no girl is like oh you drive a civic cool šŸ˜‚.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
At the last auto X when I was 2 seconds off a GT3 I was impressed. On stickier tires I might give them a run for their money at a 1/4 of the price. Still no girl is like oh you drive a civic cool šŸ˜‚.
But they will react when you crawl up their ass in an underpowered Japanese shit box!

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
But they will react when you crawl up their ass in an underpowered Japanese shit box!
No.... not really lol.

But your point stands on people who buy Porsches for mostly that reason. These cars are absolutely capable of embarrassing cars that are much higher up in the sports car hierarchy though, no doubt about that... but then again chances are there's a Miata or 20 year old BMW that will embarrass everybody.

There's always a bigger fish. Unless your name is Hamilton or Verstappen.

OP
OP
PointByPatrol

PointByPatrol

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
No.... not really lol.

But your point stands on people who buy Porsches for mostly that reason. These cars are absolutely capable of embarrassing cars that are much higher up in the sports car hierarchy though, no doubt about that... but then again chances are there's a Miata or 20 year old BMW that will embarrass everybody.

There's always a bigger fish. Unless your name is Hamilton or Verstappen.
This is true. It's important to learn any track that you frequent. There will be areas in each that make FWD shine, and RWD lose time. Conversely, RWD will have several areas where they are able to push past the capabilities of FWD. At VIR in particular, I've noticed 3 small sections of the track where I'm able to push past the capabilities of a RWD setup, and I exploit these sections to the maximum of my ability to slingshot myself into the the rear view mirror of any unsuspecting driver in front of me.

EJHonda

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R, 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
So, looking for feedback on my plan, the more experience based, the better. As part of a track build plan, I've ordered a HEL oil cooler, PWR race version radiator, and a Hybrid Racing low-temp coolant thermostat to address engine cooling concerns. However, do I remember reading that the low-temp thermostat and race radiator combo might be a bit too much, preventing coolant temps to come up where they should be, and cause the car to throw a code warning about low temps?​

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So, looking for feedback on my plan, the more experience based, the better. As part of a track build plan, I've ordered a HEL oil cooler, PWR race version radiator, and a Hybrid Racing low-temp coolant thermostat to address engine cooling concerns. However, do I remember reading that the low-temp thermostat and race radiator combo might be a bit too much, preventing coolant temps to come up where they should be, and cause the car to throw a code warning about low temps?​
You will get a code with the thermostat. You will need to turn it off. Also the coolant temp will be lower but will still climb in track.