• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How many miles is the break in?

Metav3r5e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR, RHD EM1
Just took delivery of my Cw Ctr & im wondering how many miles I’d have to baby this machine before I bounce off redline?
Sponsored

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Yep 600 miles, and vary your driving as much as you can for the duration. Flat highway miles at constant RPM doesn’t break-in the engine well at all.

OP
OP
Metav3r5e

Metav3r5e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR, RHD EM1
Yep 600 miles, and vary your driving as much as you can for the duration. Flat highway miles at constant RPM doesn’t break-in the engine well at all.
Okay great! Thank you!

Nessy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E92 M3, 1990 Toyota Liteace
Ouch!! I missed that one. DAMN!! I purposely tested the brakes during that period. sigh.

So, what did they say was the danger (or do you happen to know anyway)?
I'm almost certain this is to allow the brakes to properly bed and make sure you get the most life/performance out of them.

Frankphipps

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fl5
The reason they say take it easy on the brakes is that they need time to bed in. New brake discs and brake pads have slight variations on their surfaces so if you jam on your brakes too much they can over heat high spots, your highly unlikely to over heat parts of the mating surfaces with a few hard pushes so you wouldn't have caused any damage.
Modern cars generally don't need brake in like the oldern days as tolerances are so much better but always warm up before you rev too hard, vary your revs, vary gears, don't labour it (which is quite hard to do in this vehicle cause of the awesome torque, don't over rev ie stay below 4grand most of the time.
In nz the dealer said they don't need running in but I'm still taking it easy for the first 1000 km or 600 miles

TimeRacer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Prelude
The reason they say take it easy on the brakes is that they need time to bed in. New brake discs and brake pads have slight variations on their surfaces so if you jam on your brakes too much they can over heat high spots, your highly unlikely to over heat parts of the mating surfaces with a few hard pushes so you wouldn't have caused any damage.
Modern cars generally don't need brake in like the oldern days as tolerances are so much better but always warm up before you rev too hard, vary your revs, vary gears, don't labour it (which is quite hard to do in this vehicle cause of the awesome torque, don't over rev ie stay below 4grand most of the time.
In nz the dealer said they don't need running in but I'm still taking it easy for the first 1000 km or 600 miles
It's more a difference in parts being bedded in and the types of brake compounds being used. As the aftermarket is entirely opposite bedding in process. OEM is more geared toward new cars where ALL the parts within the braking system is bedding together. Everything from the MC down to the caliper seals so the OEM doesn't want any kind of thermal shock to the system just in case any area is dry or a bubble or something is in the system, bedding in time allows everything to migrate to the bleed port or fluids/grease to move through multiple heating cycles. Aftermarket break in usually only involves pads/rotors and WANTS that high heat application as those components operate better with heat. They ask for 6x 60-5mph stops then cruise on the freeway for 20 min to cool then park the car w/o using the parking brake. As they want that high temp pad transfer onto the rotor to create the highest friction surface.

Same goes for the engine, everything is bedding in together from oil seals, pumps, to metal on metal surfaces. You're not looking to thermal shock any of it if you care about the break in as that's one of the hardest things you can do to a system. I'm following the method I've always done, 0-400mi keeping it under 4k RPM then add 1k RPM per 100mi up to redline. Only a rare ~70% throttle (no full throttle) run during break in then change the fluids somewhere 700-1k miles and it's broken in. Varying the load, which generally means try to make more than half the miles on surface streets and off steady state on the highway. Though I get I'm on the more conservative side of break in. Savagegeese did a video talking to the actual engineers of the engines if you want to get more in depth from the people who design the motors.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
My view is : If the engine has break-in oil in it (when you drive it off the dealership lot), then the engine requires at least some careful break-in. To check, break-in oil has a silvery sheen to it which normal oil does not. It’s pretty obvious when you see it.

1971Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru crosstrek
Yah, i've broken in other cars and multiple motorcycles so i'm aware of the break-in for the motor. but, i wasn't aware that the brakes also needed a little more gentle touch at first. Thanks to everyone here for all the detailed explanations!

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Just took delivery of my Cw Ctr & im wondering how many miles I’d have to baby this machine before I bounce off redline?
Well the mileage until "broken-in" will tend to vary based on how it is done. I actually know for a fact that it will respond better to steady-state driving longer drives will help versus many hot and cold cycles and stop and go. I think you can go until 1500 miles and then change the oil. The 600 miles may handle minimum requirements but I would not bounce off limiter until 2000 miles. Cheers
Sponsored