• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Low Speed Wheel Squeaking Noise

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
I recently noticed a slight squeaking, but a little different from what you have in the video and also not quite as loud. For context, I am at 3k miles.

I have noticed (only after driving for a period of time just like your experience) that I get a squeak at extremely low speeds only. For example, if I am pulling into my garage or pulling into a parking spot, it will squeak when going very slow. But, if I brake on the street down to ~5-10mph, I cannot replicate the squeak. Mine definitely comes from the front only (I am thinking the passenger side), nothing at all in the back.

Not sure if you are on OEM pads still, but I switched over to Hawk ceramic pads ~1.5k miles ago fwiw. I will be installing some Paragon titanium brake pad shims next week, we shall see if that makes any difference.
Sponsored

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
Instead of changing my springs back to stock, which would cost a decent amount, I took it to another local shop to have them take a look. They won't have a biased mentality like the dealership does against any and all aftermarket modifications.
Did the local shop find the issue? Like others on here, my sub 10mph squeak is only heard after driving around for a while and mostly from front tires.

I swear Iā€™m shaking the dust covers out every 2-3 weeks before it starts up again. I hear sand/pebbles falling out every time but at least it stops squeaking.

Iā€™m highly considering having a shop remove the damn break dust covers at this point! Are they really necessary if things keep getting stuck in them? Itā€™s gotta be damaging the rotors slowly over time.

Or do you think the covers are whatā€™s rubbing against your rotors and causing your loud squeaks? Theyā€™re so snug and might need to be bent back some idk

Loulerg

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R BB #5515
Wow insane! Similar milage, just under 5,000 miles and I am also experiencing the squeak, not consistently and some days worse than others which I assume would make it harder to diagnose, I'm also experiencing a clicking noise when doing tight turns, video below is of me entering a round about and going around a couple times, you can hear both the squeak and clicking. I've been hesitant to take it to the dealer given its inconsistent behavior and trying avoid anyone touching the car without needing to.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 fc3, 2021 fk8
Iā€™m highly considering having a shop remove the damn break dust covers at this point! Are they really necessary if things keep getting stuck in them? Itā€™s gotta be damaging the rotors slowly over time.
It should be fine to remove them, but you need to shield the ABS sensor harness to avoid issues with the heat. I recommend against it though. And it's certainly not damaging the rotors - the dust shield is pressing the pebbles against the rotors with insignificant pressure.

Just pressing your dust shields doesn't remove all the pebbles unfortunately. There's a spot right above the caliper upper bolt that they love to get stuck at. You need a plier to remove those.

TypeRGirl

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, na 88 RX7
It should be fine to remove them, but you need to shield the ABS sensor harness to avoid issues with the heat. I recommend against it though. And it's certainly not damaging the rotors - the dust shield is pressing the pebbles against the rotors with insignificant pressure.

Just pressing your dust shields doesn't remove all the pebbles unfortunately. There's a spot right above the caliper upper bolt that they love to get stuck at. You need a plier to remove those.
Thanks for your insight! Iā€™m not trying to mess up anything serious by removing the shields šŸ˜¬ I guess itā€™s just a small quirk to deal with when owning a CTR. All I need now are some pliers lol

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Sometimes simply driving in reverse can get some debris out out of the brakes. Reversing out of a driveway or parking space may not be enough distance, though. I suggest finding an empty road or parking lot and giving it a try.

CyberCTR

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSX Type S, '23 RR Type-R #929
I just had an awful squealing noise out of my front right wheel well. I think a piece of rock or debris got caught somewhere in there. It was really bad at low speeds.

As I pulled into my driveway I heard some clanging and I think it shot out. I havenā€™t driven it since (think this was Tuesday [that work from home life šŸ˜„]). But Iā€™ll be driving it tomorrow. So hopefully itā€™s gone. It was really awful to hear.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Type R, C7 Corvette Grand Sport, Alfa Gulia
This is the only car Iā€™ve ever owned that gets rocks stuck against the rotor. 3 times in the last 8 months. Twice I needed to pull the wheel to remove and one time I used the quick reversing method to dislodge it. As another said, itā€™s an idiosyncrasy with this car.

For the OP it definitely doesnā€™t appear to be a rock.

OP
OP
arbies

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BB Type-R
The local shop couldn't find anything wrong, even checking the parking brake. And I don't think it's the parking brake getting stuck, because when the car is jacked up, I can freely turn the rear wheels with the parking brake disabled, and then I can't when they're enabled.

I ordered a new set of brake pads, and I'll get them installed at some point and see if that helps.

Bazgab

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
This is the only car Iā€™ve ever owned that gets rocks stuck against the rotor. 3 times in the last 8 months. Twice I needed to pull the wheel to remove and one time I used the quick reversing method to dislodge it. As another said, itā€™s an idiosyncrasy with this car.

For the OP it definitely doesnā€™t appear to be a rock.
I agree, OP's sound is not rocks IMO.

My M2 would get rocks stuck between the brake rotor and dust shield and it was a known common issue. No biggie, just flex the shield to let the rocks out. It made a really obnoxious/embarrassing sound that was like someone crushing a soda can. At least I know rocks getting caught in the brake dust shield is a thing on this car too.

karizmasonya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW Dinan 135i, 2004 Honda S2000, 2013 Honda Civic LX
The local shop couldn't find anything wrong, even checking the parking brake. And I don't think it's the parking brake getting stuck, because when the car is jacked up, I can freely turn the rear wheels with the parking brake disabled, and then I can't when they're enabled.

I ordered a new set of brake pads, and I'll get them installed at some point and see if that helps.

Just had the squeaking noise for the first time this morning. I couldnā€™t figure out where it was coming from. But figured it might be the brakes. Wonā€™t waste my time taking it to the dealership to get molested at this point. Iā€™ll check for rocks in the rotor. Originally thought at one point it might be a loose belt.

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Fwiw, just installed Paragon titanium brake pad shims today and seems to have alleviated the squeaking I was getting at lower speeds after the car was warmed up.

I tested several different scenarios that were giving me squeaking prior and got nothing. I will keep an ear out and see if it comes back.

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fwiw, just installed Paragon titanium brake pad shims today and seems to have alleviated the squeaking I was getting at lower speeds after the car was warmed up.

I tested several different scenarios that were giving me squeaking prior and got nothing. I will keep an ear out and see if it comes back.
curious if when you took out your pads to put the shims in did you find shims already in there from the factory?
my car has shims from the factory installed between the pads and brake cylinders. I never have seen that on my previous cars.

albi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
curious if when you took out your pads to put the shims in did you find shims already in there from the factory?
my car has shims from the factory installed between the pads and brake cylinders. I never have seen that on my previous cars.
See below for what is on the factory pads. I changed those out a while back to ceramic pads, but I think others who have experienced the squeaking may be on the Brembo's still (but certainly could be wrong there) so that should eliminate that from being the culprit. Tbh I should have done the shims at the same time when I swapped, but I am looking to upgrade the brakes but other parts have taken priority for the time being.

11th Gen Honda Civic Low Speed Wheel Squeaking Noise Inked20230810_184820

TDC50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same on mine. Whatā€™s interesting is the compressible material on the factory shims. Not used to seeing compressible material on a shim and am curious to the purpose.
Sponsored